Track day tires. - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2007, 3:21 pm Thread Starter

Track day tires.

Looking for advice for track day tires. I do NOT have a bike exclusively for the track. I know that track conditions, etc. play a huge role but I am looking for a set of tires for both the street and track (so no slicks/racing tires). My next track day is planned at Mid-Ohio. I have been told that Pilot Power tires might not be the best option for this track. I have a 1098 (stock Pirelli) and a GSXR-600 (Pilot Power) will probably take both and they both need tires.
Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2007, 3:31 pm

I've been using pirelli diablo supercorsa's dot can't go wrong !!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2007, 3:45 pm

Alot depends on how fast you can go or want to go. Obviously the faster you go, the better grip you need. When I first started doing track days, street tires worked fine for me. I was first on a monster, then an ST4 and eventually the bike was the limiting factor in how fast I could go. Then went to a 916, dialed in the suspension and the times began dropping. I now run Supercorsa Pros (and the newer replacement tire). They have good feel, incredible grip, but dont last very long. They give me the confidence to ride at the level I am at.

So if are wicked fast, or have the potential for going fast, I would invest in some good race or DOT race tires.

Michael Earnest who runs Pacific Track Time out here in Calif. says 80% of the crashes at his track days are on street only tires. Not sure what percentage of bikes are running street tires, but he is a believer in race tires and promotes it.

Mike

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2007, 3:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDmn
I've been using pirelli diablo supercorsa's dot can't go wrong !!
+1 Excellent tire for occasional track use! Pilot Power or the new 2ct are also a good choice.

Eddie
04 749S/920 (track bike)sold
07 KTM 300 (off road)
01 996TT 620RWHP
2011 KTM RC8R
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2007, 5:43 pm
Banned

It really depends on you as a rider. If you really beat the crap out of your pilot powers, you'll be unsatisfied with them on the track. I had Pilot Power Race H2's which are a very hard tire, designed for the track. I do beat up on my tires, but those H2's never got hot enough to stick for regular daily riding which made them unstable unless you beat the crap out of them.

The supercorsa's are a great mix of a tire and will survive a track day + you can ride them normally. Only catch is, they are kind of expensive.

Once your a skilled track rider, you'll need a harder compound race tire. I'm in agreement with the statement that most crashes happen with street tires. All the guys I know who have crashed, used street tires... With tire warmers and track tires, your always sticky and if you loose it in a corner, thats your fault not the tires.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2007, 7:39 pm

Track/Street tires

I run my PS1000LE on the track and ride it hard on the street. I replaced the OEM tires with Pirelli Diablo Corsa III's. They give great grip at the track in cold and hot conditions and work great on the street. I put 3000 miles on the rear and just replaced the front with 4500 miles.

I also ride a 1098 and when the OEM Dragon Supercorsa Pro's wear out I will be replacing them with the Corsa III's. They are great tires IMHO.

Tony AguiarTony AguiarTony Aguiar :cool
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2007, 10:48 pm

tires

If its youre first track day, street tires might be ok. Street tires no matter what manufacturer will get greasy fast, about 5 laps if you run lap times in the upper range of most intermediate groups.
Dunlop 209s dots are unstable on medium to long straights say (145 and up) at a respectable race pace unless your bike is completely dialed and maybe even then, especially on your gixxer. not so much on the duc. I hear the nutech rear has solved that problem but not soon enough to keep me from switching to pirelli dots whatever they are called. and obviously at some level of skill a rider can ride around the headshake, since most of the ama races on dunlops.
for what its worth i have front feel issues with michelins, but it could easily be me.
if you ride agressively on the street switch back to street tires on the street. a 190 dot race may never get enough heat into it to work right on the street and its a painful lesson to learn. So learn to get your wheels off fast so you can trade out your rubber and have the vendor switch you back before you leave. most will only charge you 20 bucks or so.
I instruct and while it's not been my experience that the crashes happen because of street tires, its a good idea to get dot races, or even slicks. then remember, unless you have tire warmers and maybe even if you do, take it easy for a couple laps. my experience is more crashes happen in the first session, the first session after lunch and the last session.
after that seek the greep and the reethim and have a blast.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2007, 10:54 pm Thread Starter

Thanks!

Thanks! Lots of advice...all of which seems consistent.
Much appreciated!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2007, 10:00 am

I've used the Pilot Power Race and the Bridgestone B-002 race DOT's. Both are outstanding. I think the Bridgestones last a little longer, for me anyways.

'05 999R CCS#241
'08 848

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode