999 sprocket change to 39T-Chain Options? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 3:13 pm
alang

999 sprocket change to 39T-Chain Options?

Hi members,

I have an 03 999mono that I tried to install a 39Tooth rear sprocket on while keeping the stock 15T up front. After reassembling, there was zero chain slack. Can links be added to the 525 chain, or will I need to replace it to make the change? If adding, what is the best way to approach this please.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 3:47 pm

Yes, you can add master links to lengthen the chain to what you need...BUT, I don't think this is the preferred method. I have heard of guys doing it with zero issues but on a bike like that why risk it for such an inexpensive mod. There's some good chains out there for way under $200. I just bought a brand new chain DID has out...It's what they call thier X2 chain...a 525ZVM2, available in gold or natural finish for $145 I think. Can't go wrong!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 3:52 pm

If you are changing sprockets, you have to change the whole set: front, rear and the chain.

The older chain will eat through the new sprocket very easily, while the new sprocket will wear the chain out faster. This will then wear out the front sprocket faster. Eventually, you will have to spend more to replace them all.

'04 749R

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 6:50 pm

Uuummmmm, not so sure I completely agree with that one. If you got a ton of miles, yes, and maybe then. Depends on the condition of the sprokets I guess. I changed my rear sproket with 5,000 on the clock which required a new chain anyways but I don't feel any regret about not changing the front sproket. Absolutely no signs of wear. Wouldn't have changed the chain had it not been a requirement. BUT, on the other hand, if you are already changing the sproket and chain, what's a few more buck for a front sproket. Cheap insurance I guess. That's kinda like saying every time you install a new chain you'll change both sprokets???
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 7:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy
That's kinda like saying every time you install a new chain you'll change both sprokets???
I guess you don't have to change them all at once... you can just change one component... the bike will still work fine. But down the road you are guaranteed to spend a lot more on changing sprockets and chains than someone who changed them all at once. An old chain can take half the life of a new sprocket in just a few hundred miles.

'04 749R

Last edited by migz123; Jan 23rd, 2006 at 7:56 pm.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:18 pm

Interesting that these comments are not qualified by choice of sprocket material. Is he talking about staying with steel or going aluminum ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by migz123
If you are changing sprockets, you have to change the whole set: front, rear and the chain.

The older chain will eat through the new sprocket very easily, while the new sprocket will wear the chain out faster. This will then wear out the front sprocket faster. Eventually, you will have to spend more to replace them all.

bevel 450

71 bevel desmo speciale ( in process )
93 888 SPO ( license #46 WLF )
94 M-900
02 ST4s
67 Norton P-11 Flat tracker for dedicated terror on the streets of Los Angeles ( license NOBRAKE) !
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:22 pm

Quote:
That's kinda like saying every time you install a new chain you'll change both sprokets???
Yup. General rule of thumb is if one component is worn out, change all three (both sprockets and chain). You can get away with changing just one or the other if it's for upgrade purposes and the old component wasn't worn out. But, if one component is worn out, then you can be the other components are worn enough to drastically shorten the lifespan of any new component thrown into the mix. As stated in another thread, I just last week changed a set for my buddy who tried just replacing his rear sprocket since he thought that was the only/most worn item. His new rear sprocket lasted only 2000 miles with the old chain and front sprocket. Additionally, he had a little boo-boo which was quite likely due to his fast wearing chain stretching to the point of skipping over teeth before he realized how loose it had gotten. Sure, he should have noticed and properly adjusted, but do you really want to have to check your chain tension every other day because it's eating through components so fast you don't want it to sneak up on you?

Nathan
2001 Ducati 996

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." - Jack London
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2006, 4:41 am
Supermoderator - I┤m special!

Garage
As has been said.

For maximum life, I always change sprockets and chain together.

15/39 seems pretty good for a 999.

But if you just want a lower gearing and have a factory chain and 15/36 now...
Why not change the front to a 14T, run 14/36 until it┤s dead and THEN change everything to your 15 front, 36 rear and a new chain.

Spending money on a new 15 front and new chain now.. Seems to me like throwing your money away for no reason.

You could ofcourse increase the lenght of your chain. But be sure to let someone put a riveted chain coupler in, not the clip-coupler. And don┤t put them in beside each other, but with 10-15 links inbetween.

2010 Multistrada 1200s - engine mapped by tomtom, Íhlins mechatronics SCU and alot of mods to make up for poor skills
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2006, 12:28 pm
alang

The bike only has 2600 miles on it and the chain and sprockets look like new. I purchased a ducati steel sprocket as the replacement. I had heard and read that putting on a 14t up front put too much pressure on the swing arm and promoted premature wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanTX
Yup. General rule of thumb is if one component is worn out, change all three (both sprockets and chain). You can get away with changing just one or the other if it's for upgrade purposes and the old component wasn't worn out. But, if one component is worn out, then you can be the other components are worn enough to drastically shorten the lifespan of any new component thrown into the mix. As stated in another thread, I just last week changed a set for my buddy who tried just replacing his rear sprocket since he thought that was the only/most worn item. His new rear sprocket lasted only 2000 miles with the old chain and front sprocket. Additionally, he had a little boo-boo which was quite likely due to his fast wearing chain stretching to the point of skipping over teeth before he realized how loose it had gotten. Sure, he should have noticed and properly adjusted, but do you really want to have to check your chain tension every other day because it's eating through components so fast you don't want it to sneak up on you?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2006, 2:20 am
Supermoderator - I┤m special!

Garage
The 14t front will probably wear out faster then a 15t, since the radius of the sprocket is smaller and the links in the chain have to turn faster and further then a 15t.

But premature wear = $
spending money on parts you don┤t need NOW = $
Using what you have instead of throwing it away because it┤s to short = saving $

2010 Multistrada 1200s - engine mapped by tomtom, Íhlins mechatronics SCU and alot of mods to make up for poor skills
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode