Tapping a thread question.. - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 1:20 am Thread Starter

Tapping a thread question..

well I took the rocker pin that I could barely get a 5mm bolt into(maybe 1-1 1/2 turns) and screwed a 5mm tap into it. I turned it maybe 5 or 6 at turns. After the first time I did it I tryed the 5mm bolt into it and not much difference. So I tryed again with the tap a few more turns than 5 or so. I took it back out but noticed a sliver of metal on the end. Almost like a thread came out with it. The 5mm bolt I can now get screwed in about 4-5 turns. So was that metal sliver that looked like a thread supposed to happen when you tap threads that are messed up? Or did I do something wrong and mess up threads and pull one of them out?

S

NESBA #96 (I)
1998 Aprilia RS250
1998 Honda RS125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 3:27 am

You might have just cut a little more thread in there. Sorry I couldn't make sense of the first bit of your post.

If you are tapping a thread it will create slivers of some type, cleaning shouldn't bring much out but as I said if you went deeper than the original it will produce more swarf.

Just re-read the post.. are you sure the thread pitch was the same as the bolt?

Mal

insert witty comments here...
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 8:14 am

sounds like you did it just right. now you should be able to get the stuck rocker pin out, just make sure you thread the extractor bolt in all the way, and if it won't bottom out, get a longer one, then proceed extracting. be sure to lightly emory cloth the pin once removed and heavily grease it upon reinsertion.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 9:11 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onespeedpaul
sounds like you did it just right. now you should be able to get the stuck rocker pin out, just make sure you thread the extractor bolt in all the way, and if it won't bottom out, get a longer one, then proceed extracting. be sure to lightly emory cloth the pin once removed and heavily grease it upon reinsertion.
Actually I could get the rocker pin out in the first place. But just barely could get that bolt on it because it barely threaded. So I wanted to make it easier for next time.

Even after doing the tapping the bolt won't go in even further than 5 turns or so. But some of the others won't either. But at least now it will go in more than 2. I'm just curious did I do it right or screw it up?

S

NESBA #96 (I)
1998 Aprilia RS250
1998 Honda RS125
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 9:42 am

Replace it I would not take the chance but that's just me.

Donít worry about the laws of physics, it will come fine you.

Now
2005 749S (Coming Soon)

Past
2000 748 BI
1998 916 Mono
2006 CBR600RR
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:40 am

you did it right.

i mentioned the stuck rocker, because i recently had one stuck, and the slide-hammer tool only egaged 1-3 threads and ripped the threads of the screw. i chased the rocker pin threads, and got a longer screw for the slide hammer tool.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:20 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onespeedpaul
you did it right.

i mentioned the stuck rocker, because i recently had one stuck, and the slide-hammer tool only egaged 1-3 threads and ripped the threads of the screw. i chased the rocker pin threads, and got a longer screw for the slide hammer tool.
Does chasing mean tapping? Same thing? You needed the longer screw because the first few threads were dead. So basically what I did was tear into the metal fixing bad threads, not tear out good threads?

S

NESBA #96 (I)
1998 Aprilia RS250
1998 Honda RS125
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 5:38 pm

Chasing and taping are to different things. Taping is creating new threads in a bare hole, chasing is just cleaning out the hole of crap(old loctite, mashed threads, broke threads etc.) you are chasing yours to fix the damage you did. Sounds like yes you just fixed the bad threads ... if the screw threads in nicely now then you did a good job. Be very careful with taps as they are very brittle and can break very easy, then they are almost impossible to get out. It is best to thread a screw into a good shaft first to see how deep the threads are and then mark the tap so you no not to go to far, then gently go 1/2 to 3/4 turn in then 1/4 back out over and over untill the threads are all better. Turning the tap back cleans the crap out of the taps cutters and helps prevent the tap from getting stuck or broken. Don't use cutting fluids or lubes for chasing threads as they tend to build up the crap and cause problems (stuck taps), fluids/lube are for cutting new threads.

Tap/chasing 101
Hope this wasn't overkill
JD

Last edited by 853MACHINE; Jan 22nd, 2007 at 5:43 pm.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 5:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 853MACHINE
Chasing and taping are to different things. Taping is creating new threads in a bare hole, chasing is just cleaning out the hole of crap(old loctite, mashed threads, broke threads etc.) you are chasing yours to fix the damage you did. Sounds like yes you just fixed the bad threads ... if the screw threads in nicely now then you did a good job. Be very careful with taps as they are very brittle and can break very easy, then they are almost impossible to get out. It is best to thread a screw into a good shaft first to see how deep the threads are and then mark the tap so you no not to go to far, then gently go 1/2 to 3/4 turn in then 1/4 back out over and over untill the threads are all better. Turning the tap back cleans the crap out of the taps cutters and helps prevent the tap from getting stuck or broken. Don't use cutting fluids or lubes for chasing threads as they tend to build up the crap and cause problems (stuck taps), fluids/lube are for cutting new threads.

Tap/chasing 101
Hope this wasn't overkill
JD
Wow thanks. I didn't know all this. I did "chase" it as far as I could have. But really there is no need as I just needed to be able to screw a bolt in 4-5 turns good so that in the future someone won't have a problem. The guy who gave me this tap said use WD-40 to lube but he probably didn't know I was chasing. I didn't know about going in a little and backing out. But makes sense.

S

NESBA #96 (I)
1998 Aprilia RS250
1998 Honda RS125
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 6:08 pm

This is just from personal experiance building aircraft piston engines(15 yrs+), I'm sure there is someone that will disagree with what I've written.

Hope it does you good though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode