MBP retainers: any real life experience - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2012, 12:38 pm Thread Starter

MBP retainers: any real life experience

I'm excited for the 7500 service mark to be just around the corner so I can dive into the belts and valve adjustment.

I've been reading around about the MBP retianers and on the EMS site it says:
"- Lengthens the time between valve adjustments
- Are stronger than stock half ring systems
- Can handle higher rpms for longer periods of time as compared to the stock half ring systems. "

That sounds awesome, and could very well justify the $680 for the kit (you need modified openers to go with the MBP retainers and the closer are also slightly different to work better with the retainers so I might as well get the whole kit, since I'll have to replace all the openers regardless...)

What I wanted to see is if someone has some real life experience on the superiority of these retainers. Stuff like: before I used to have to do the adjustment X miles and then after X miles the clearance were still in the range.

Also are the retainers reusable, or they need to be replace with adjustments, just like the OEM?

No offense, but for me the whole peace of mind thing just won't cut it...

Let me know what numbers you have!!!!

Last edited by ZetaTre; Jun 21st, 2012 at 12:47 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2012, 12:51 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
I fitted MBP retainers a couple of years ago to my 916 and other than because of flaked rockers I've not 'needed' to change any shims as they have all remained in tolerance - just to add I did change some shims as I like to use a tighter tolerance than specified but none were actually out of spec.

None of the retainers have any noticeable wear and I wouldn't expect that they would.

Just a couple of months ago I replaced all my opener rockers with 'Newman cams' re-surfaced parts so needed a complete re-shim so once all is settled I'm hoping things will stay steady from now onwards.

I like them so much I've recently bought a set for my Monster (which BTW had 2 broken half-rings when I first stripped the heads).

I got mine from Mike at EMS, highly recommended.

916, M900 & Guzzi LeMans II
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2012, 1:40 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDesmo View Post
I got mine from Mike at EMS, highly recommended.
+100000. Good guy.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2012, 4:10 pm
Senior Narcissista

Garage
Used Mike at ems many years ago, its a bit more work to make them fit as its hard to make them seat, but once seated they stay that way forever.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 9:31 am
JEC

I have them. I only installed them 3500 miles ago so I can't yet comment on whether the clearances held...

I bought them directly from Guy Martin, so I was able to get the shims I needed to finish the job without buying a complete kit. He always recommends new valve guides for optimum results.

They can be reused.

They hold TIGHT. I had to readjust a few closers when I was installing them. I needed a hammer to get the closers off.

I've spoken to guys who have them in their track bikes. Usually they stay in spec damn near indefinitely, even under hard use. They are also WAY stronger than half rings so there is zero chance of them shattering.

Editor, Odd-Bike.com
http://www.odd-bike.com/
'97 916
'06 Aprilia Tuono 1000 R
'84 Honda VF750F Interceptor (gone)
'04 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
'87 Honda VFR400R NC24 (gone)
'85 BMW K100RS (gone)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 9:40 am
JEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom View Post
Used Mike at ems many years ago, its a bit more work to make them fit as its hard to make them seat, but once seated they stay that way forever.
I found the easiest way was to use a wooden peg and a hammer to whack the face of the closing rocker (with the cam removed).

Editor, Odd-Bike.com
http://www.odd-bike.com/
'97 916
'06 Aprilia Tuono 1000 R
'84 Honda VF750F Interceptor (gone)
'04 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
'87 Honda VFR400R NC24 (gone)
'85 BMW K100RS (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode