the 996 is dead long live the 996 - Page 12 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 170 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 12:00 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbamf View Post
This reminds me of the Singer 911 Porsche builds. Take a bit from one year model, take another bit from another model, take some other bits from others and then put them together to make something special.

You'll probably find that once it's 'done' you'll find a whole bunch of little things that could be modified/fixed/tidied up. Builds like this aren't ever finished. At least that's what I've found with the cars/bikes my dad and uncles have done over the last 30 years.

-Bamf
wow those piggies look beautifully crafted wow! thanks for the link
johnny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 170 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 5:59 am Thread Starter

now thats the reason i stopped using forums!!

i just wanted to thankyou both for showing me the errors of my ways, thankyou for voting my thread down, and thankyou for your constructive and learned veiws

so you dont like the bike then??? i dont know seeing as you havnt said and to compere it to a porsche or whaterver that car was (im english by the way) is just silly and a un-thought comment, this thread is about my rebuild, and im comming to the end, i may have bits and bobs that i might change but its only cosmetic stuff!! all the big stuff is done so a few bolts hear or a bit of billet there and hey presto

again i would thank you both, and please let me when your birthdays are so i can get you a cake.....Is it 5 or 6 candles???

your bullshit cannot harm me my wings are like a shield of steel!!!
post #113 of 170 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 7:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard996r View Post
... to compere it to a porsche or whaterver that car was (im english by the way) is just silly and a un-thought commen
Richard,

Ummm. I think you took it 100% the wrong way. I'm saying that it's a great idea to take the best bits from various models to make your ultimate bike. Similar to what Singer do with Porsches. I meant it in a very good way.

I think your build is great and would love to do something similar at some point in the future (i.e. when I could afford it).

So... yes. I do like your build.

Sorry if you took offence as none was meant.

-Bamf

post #114 of 170 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 1:27 pm Thread Starter

if i took it the wrong way sorry!!

that said, i have photos!! wohoo,

these are of the brembos on the forks, they look great!!

post #115 of 170 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 1:30 pm Thread Starter

/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	753.5 KB
ID:	210113   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	781.0 KB
ID:	210121  

post #116 of 170 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 2:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnie27 View Post
wow those piggies look beautifully crafted wow! thanks for the link
johnny
Yeah... but $500K for those piggies....

2008 S2R1000
1999 BMW R1100S
post #117 of 170 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2013, 4:41 pm Thread Starter

ive had a busy day with the bike today,

first i got to worrying that i mad a mistake, considering i had a major engine failure i cleaned every part, i started to think i hadnt cleaned the flywheel stator!! so i took the engine casing and stator off again and found lots of metal bits stuck down deep in a recess right at the back of the stator, a stupid mistake but at least its done now no damage and very little time lost

so with that out the way i put on the timing belts and covers, and found this to be a really smooth job to do the belts were cycleworks belts

i then set about the wiring harnesses they are all plugged in and made neat and tydy, also put the new airbox rubber on the airbox added the airbox, trumpets, seat and tank to the bike, im hoping for the last time. and added the 996r rad to make shure it fits nice and snug (it dose)

i also came across a problem with the sprocket carrier when fitted catches the swingarm so i need a slightly thicker sprocket spacer not a major issue but i cant put the chain on until this is done
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	968.1 KB
ID:	215433   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	797.3 KB
ID:	215441   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	714.3 KB
ID:	215449   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	926.9 KB
ID:	215457   Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	812.5 KB
ID:	215465  

post #118 of 170 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 5:33 am Thread Starter

the exhaust is done!! wooohooo!!!

firstly a huge thankyou to Lynton at Norfolk mobile welding svc. (uk)

hes done a fab job on the 1098 exhaust i had and cut and shut it all within 9 hours, to look at it you would never know that it came from another bike.

i prepped the bike by removing anything that i thought would be in the way, like the right hand rearset, wiring and the seat unit. and using a ratchet strap to hold the mufflers in the correct place, lynton set to work by firstly cutting allong the to just behind the joint near the shock, to get the header collector to sit in the right position, using another exhaust i brought (just for the cans) he cut out the section on the spare mid section where the two exhausts come together, it was just the right shape to fabricate the first part of the trumpet needed to join the header to the new exhaust.

usung me as a clamp he put the first tacks in place, i should add ther was a lot of taking the exhaust off and putting it back on to make sure it was a good tight fit.

once tacked in place and with very hot fingers(me) it all came off again and lynton fabricated another section for the underside of the header and set about closing it all up. first bit done.

the next problem was..... with the exhaust being bigger the fairing would not closeup due to the "u" shaped part of the exhaust standing proud by about 25mm so lynton cut out 25mm or so and closed it up, at one point the earth lead slipped off the pipe and lynton shot himself with god knows how many amps in the hand, (this was not the last time) anyway this part was very quick and it was not long before that part was closed up, while that was being done he also cut off the button from the back of the exhaust valve and welded the valve open. second bit done!!

Now at this point Lynton should have been going to another job that he had booked but he carried on (thankyou)

pretty much the same drill on the front header as the rear, using the spare mid exhaust section he cut and shaped the part that was to form the first part of the trumpet, i should add that when doing this we had to be sure that the nuts that hold the exhaust headers on would fit, it was tight but i can get a spanner on them anyway it was the same thing again making sure there was plenty of room from the exhaust and the engine (dont want to boil the oil) lynton set about tacking the first part in place, whilst using me as a clamp, very hot fingers and burning leather, once tacked off it came and the last closing piece was shaped up and then the whole thing closed.

all this work and skill cost me 250 a bacon role and a few cups of coffee and again i would just like to thank lynton for all of his hard work and for putting himself out to help me get my project moving

now the only problem i have is the bellypan fouls on the exaust under the engine, but i knet this would be the case and a couple of minuets with the dremmel should sort this out, but on the whole to look at the exhaust the untrained eye would never know that the exhaust on my bike belongs to a 1098 and not a 996

i have loads of photos of the process from start to end but they are on my phone and i cant put them on the computer yet so for now i have a few of the end product for you to look at, enjoy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	017.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	527.7 KB
ID:	254321   Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	652.7 KB
ID:	254329   Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	672.9 KB
ID:	254337   Click image for larger version

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	534.8 KB
ID:	254345   Click image for larger version

Name:	018.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	519.3 KB
ID:	254353  

post #119 of 170 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 10:25 am

Just read this from the start to where your at now, great work and look fwd to the end result.
Take my hat off to you as well for the way you have responded to the negative criticism. Keep up the good work.

Current rides
1985 Yamaha RD350 YPVS F1
1989 Honda NC 30
2000 Ducati 916 foggy rep
2013 Ducati HyperStrada
post #120 of 170 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 10:54 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalist View Post
Just read this from the start to where your at now, great work and look fwd to the end result.
Take my hat off to you as well for the way you have responded to the negative criticism. Keep up the good work.
HAHAHAHA im a 360 excavator pilot im used to it, thanks for the vote of confidence i will be putting it as far back together as i can with the parts i have, i might even try to start it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode