New starter didn't fix the problem...HELP! - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 4:36 pm Thread Starter

New starter didn't fix the problem...HELP!

Okay, put the new start in, and it's still doing the same thing. Is it possible the Bike Master replacement battery I bought doesn't have the cranking amps to turn the starter, or that my 6 and 12 volt trickle charger can't give the battery enough of a charge? The Tucker Rockey catalog at the place I bought the battery listed it as a replacement for the 916, and it's the same 16AL battery label.

You can push start it just fine, she starts right up and runs fine, pulls strong, doesn't stall out, etc. But when you hit the starter button, it just whines, and every now and then will turn the crank to fire a cylander, but it doesn't have a steady cranking at all...it's almost random, and one or two sparks every 10 seconds or less.

So...battery amps? I've heard there's some sort of clutch between the starter motor and the crankshaft...would this be a symptom of the starter clutch going? The whine is really bad, and I"m not sure if it means the starter is spinning and not turning the crank, or not getting the cranking amps to spin. First impression to me is that the starter is whining like it's trying to spin but doesn't have the juice or oomph to actually spin the crank. But the bike runs fine if push started, so it wouldn't be the voltage regulator, right?

1998 Ducati 916
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 4:43 pm

When my battery failed the Starter relay (found to the left of the battery) whined like mad upon hitting the starter button. At the same time, the gauges and lights would fade. You likely need to get a meter reading on your battery, especially under load to see if its the culprit.

Thomas Lowers
2001 748 Superbike
Charcoal Grey with Carbon highlights and Red wheels
Full Termi Exh,Surflex Slipper,GP Master Brake,GP Mater Clutch,Evo Slave,Ultimap Chip,ITG Filter,AFAM Quick change and gearing...Carbon Nose w/enlarged ports,Carbon Airbox & Runners,Carbon Mono-Tail/Custom Bi-posto Tail, Speedymoto Triple Clamp,Tec Moto Clutch Cover,L.E.D. Taillight,Custom painting...= Empty Wallet,Hungry Cat & Unfurnished Home...Thank God I'm Single!
http://www.ducati-owners-group.com/
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 4:49 pm

do you have a portable battery jumper? hook it up to the battery to see if it cranks. if it does, you battery is shot...

2000 748S
2000 Vertemati 503SM

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmofetish
When my battery failed the Starter relay (found to the left of the battery) whined like mad upon hitting the starter button. At the same time, the gauges and lights would fade. You likely need to get a meter reading on your battery, especially under load to see if its the culprit.
Uh...that's exactly what's happening. :/ damn, I need a cigarette. lol

1998 Ducati 916
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 4:57 pm

btw, tiewrap the molex plug on the back of this little relay/cylinder/??? so that the plug does not come loose. i've had the bike either die on me a few times or not start/crank. $#@!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	batt.JPG
Views:	1795
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	7547  

2000 748S
2000 Vertemati 503SM
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 5:06 pm

Have you tried checking the "one way" clutch on the starter gear? The symptoms you described, sounds like this clutch is going out. If this unit is faulty, the engine will sometimes engauge, and most of the time it will slip (like what you are describing).

'97 Ducati 748s
'93 Honda NSR250 SE (street licensed )
'81 Honda Passport C70
www.sprengineering.com
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 5:40 pm
mad

I know you've covered it but I'll just reiterate. I'd check the 3 most common failures first:
1. Battery/ground
2. Starter relay
3. Voltage regulator
Good luck...let us know what you find out.

'08 ZX14 and '02 ZRX1200R
...previous Ducatis now sold... '05 999 and '02 ST4S
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 5:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrynsr
Have you tried checking the "one way" clutch on the starter gear? The symptoms you described, sounds like this clutch is going out. If this unit is faulty, the engine will sometimes engauge, and most of the time it will slip (like what you are describing).
How do you check the 'one way clutch'? When I had the crankcase off I could rotate the gear that the starter meshes with with my hands, but it was pretty difficult (probably mostly because of the oil on my hands) and I could only do it a little bit at a time, but I could only rotate it one way...is this what you're talking about? I could only spin it one way...does that mean it's ok?

Also, with a portable 12v battery jumper, do you have to let it fully charge before you try to jump a battery the first time, or can you just plug it into the wall or an extension cord and jump the battery off the wall power?

1998 Ducati 916
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 5:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragknt
Also, with a portable 12v battery jumper, do you have to let it fully charge before you try to jump a battery the first time, or can you just plug it into the wall or an extension cord and jump the battery off the wall power?
i would charge it first and use it unplugged. you can also use a car battery but don't run the engine. you'll find out in a jiffy if it's the battery or not.

2000 748S
2000 Vertemati 503SM
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 6:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech
i would charge it first and use it unplugged. you can also use a car battery but don't run the engine. you'll find out in a jiffy if it's the battery or not.
Fuck. Damnit. Well, it's definately the starter clutch. I tried it with the jumper and with the car battery, and now it just spins and spins and doesn't even come close to turning the crankshaft. I don't even hear much resistance anymore. Like as in no resistance. :/

So...I guess I'm push-starting it tomorrow and taking it to the Ducati dealer. I need to talk to an actual tech though, because my dealer is a ripoff.

Anyone know which pieces have to be replaced? There's the clutch wheel, the clutch wheel holder, and the driven gear. The driven gear is like $220 from my dealer (I take the inflated MSRP from BikeBandit and increase it like 10% to get my dealers price, and it's been pretty acurate so far), the clutch bearing assembly dealie will be like $170, and the holder will be like $80.

1998 Ducati 916
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode