California Superbike School - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 5:02 pm Thread Starter
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c

California Superbike School

Hello,

I'm thinking of heading out to California Superbike School on Dec 4th at Infineon Raceway. May use the ZX6r for the extra 200 bucks. Hell of a lot cheaper than wrecking my 99r even with skins.

You folks have any input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 6:06 pm
Lifetime Premium

I did that exact thing at Pocono earlier this year. The 636 is a blast and it is comforting to know you can basically walk away if you trash the thing. You may get a lot of philosophical responses to this question based on how Code runs his schools. I'd say take level 1 and level 2 on back to back days, then decide how to incorporate what you learn into your riding. No one says you have to take everything they teach as gospel. Try everything they suggest, then pick and choose what works for you.

Tony

748/853
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 6:10 pm

I took the 2 day course in Vegas early this year. I really learned a lot and it definitely helped out with my riding on both the track and the street.

Their bikes are a lot of fun but you are going to want to take your bike on the track at some point.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 6:58 pm

Take your bike.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 7:04 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmdavis
Hello,

I'm thinking of heading out to California Superbike School on Dec 4th at Infineon Raceway. May use the ZX6r for the extra 200 bucks. Hell of a lot cheaper than wrecking my 99r even with skins.

Hey Brian

Depending on the weather at that time (guess Im a puss) I may be interested in that, I had a blast at infineon and would love to learn more more more!!!
If it weather was bad I would probably use their bikes, if good I would use my own.

999R Xerox........996 Bi........2006 DRZ 400SM........1971 Honda CB350......... 1970 Kawasaki A7 Avenger 350 SS Street Scrambler
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 7:11 pm
Prolific Poster Award

What is the financial obligation if you throw one of their bikes?

03 FLHRI Road King
03 999R #189
09 1125CR Buell (sold)
07 1100S MTS (sold)
04 999S (sold)
95 916 (sold)
01 900SS (sold)
05 Honda 600RR (sold before I crashed it)
05 Honda 600RR (full Yosh, PC, totalled it)

Ducati-Owners-Group of Sacramento region.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 7:51 pm Thread Starter
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastblast
Hey Brian

Depending on the weather at that time (guess Im a puss) I may be interested in that, I had a blast at infineon and would love to learn more more more!!!
If it weather was bad I would probably use their bikes, if good I would use my own.
I'm in if you are. Sounds like real fun. Ill have my bike track ready in a few months.
John
Don't know the financial obligation if you wad a bike up. Ill read further
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 9:22 pm

I'm in too

Quote:
I'm in if you are. Sounds like real fun. Ill have my bike track ready in a few months.
John
Don't know the financial obligation if you wad a bike up. Ill read further

Hey Brain

I have been to level I & II earlier in the year. I brought my 749 Dark at that time and learned a lot. My friends were amaze the next time they saw me on a Sunday ride. They complimented me and said that was money well spent. If I can finish therapy and get back on my bike by Dec I will go, but only if the weather is great.
I would recommend using your bike. I used there ZX6r lean bike and hated the body position and stop the session because I felt unsafe on the bike.
If you are afraid of crashing your bike, by all means rent there bike. Some people have a tough time sleeping because they crashed a $30,000 bike.

I will take the new thoroughbred to the track for level III & IV on Dec 4 & 5.

Matt

2006 Ducati 749R #238
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 11:51 pm

I thought about using their bike, but then I thought what would that teach me about riding when it comes to MY bike? Needless to say, I went to the school on my own bikes through level 3. Level 4 is remedial, but focused on what the student wants to work on while working more closely with an instructor.

After the lean bike drill, I had to go out on a session on my own bike and it was quite unnerving to have to adapt to it since it was so different than their lean bike - a Kawi 636. One of the things they can do while you're on your own bike is to have you adjust to the correct body position on it rather than on their bike. The Ducati superbikes are longer than the Japanese bikes, and the ergonomics are not the same, so keep that in mind.

Definitely take the class as Keith provides an excellent curriculum where every aspect of riding is broken down. As stated before, accept the information provided to you with an open mind and use what works best for you. You'll love L3...it was my favorite.

Richard

05 999
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 12:13 am

Quote:
Hello,

I took 1, then the next year I took the 1 on a monday and the 2 on a wed. I think you should definately take your own bike. First off, it's cheaper. 2nd, you are much less likely to wreck during their school then you are on a normal track day, or even hot rodding on back roads. You will be working on techniques, and particular parts of the course, and you should not be trying for best lap times.

I thought I learned 4x as much in the 1st course as the 2nd, which makes sense, as they are teaching the not-so-subtle stuff in day 1.

Kurt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode