Problem with 924S after 4k rpm. - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2011, 2:28 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Problem with 924S after 4k rpm(Cause -> bad battery).

So I was finally able to get the bike from it's winterstorage place and I ran into some problems that I haven't faced before. While riding the bike it stops pulling at 4k rpm. It wants to pull, but all it can do is this baffling noise. With some fresh gasoline it seemed to run better, but not much. At the end it seemed to be working better when the tank was getting emptier.

I'll probably take the bike to my tuner tomorrow, but if anyone has idea please share. The bike sounds good until it arrives to the problem area, so something is limiting it's abilities.

'04 999X

Last edited by Jyrki; May 16th, 2011 at 10:17 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2011, 3:09 pm

Fuel filter?
Fuel tank vent line pinched?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2011, 3:15 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Gladiator View Post
Fuel filter?
Fuel tank vent line pinched?
I can check the latter one, but filter is out of my reach. Someone told it could be the fuel that is outdated. It's from last september or october.

'04 999X

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2011, 3:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrki View Post
So I was finally able to get the bike from it's winterstorage place and I ran into some problems that I haven't faced before. While riding the bike it stops pulling at 4k rpm. It wants to pull, but all it can do is this baffling noise. With some fresh gasoline it seemed to run better, but not much. At the end it seemed to be working better when the tank was getting emptier.

I'll probably take the bike to my tuner tomorrow, but if anyone has idea please share. The bike sounds good until it arrives to the problem area, so something is limiting it's abilities.
Is there any way mice could have gotten to the bike over the winter? I had them fill an airbox full of nuts and seeds over one winter.

'15 BMW R nine T
'10 Streetfighter S "Sleipnir"
'09 Kaw Versys
'67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2011, 3:48 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Is there any way mice could have gotten to the bike over the winter? I had them fill an airbox full of nuts and seeds over one winter.
I would think not, since the 999 has that "grill" protecting the airtubes. The storage place is a little dusty, but overall good place. Before I took it there it was in a cold garage for some weeks.

'04 999X
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2011, 4:22 pm

Let us know when you find out.

'15 BMW R nine T
'10 Streetfighter S "Sleipnir"
'09 Kaw Versys
'67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2011, 10:13 am Thread Starter

Garage
Bad battery.

One thing I didn't mention was that I had to use my old battery yesterday and it didn't start before I gave it some charging time. Anyway, I've ridden with bad batteries before too, but never experienced other probs than bad starting. Today I was planning to test it again, but after just one night the battery had lost it's power and couldn't start the bike(it had some power left in it of course). So I took my new Yuasa battery out of the box(old one was MiGM or MGM), put the electrolyde(or whatever water) in it and went on to install it. New battery in and naturally it started without hickups. So I just crabbed my helmet and gave it a small spin just to find out if it was still hesitant after 4k and it wasn't. It pulled cleanly like it has done before yesterday.

Is this unique incident or has anyone heard from this kind of thing before?

'04 999X
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2011, 11:55 am
Senior Narcissista

Garage
Long time ago we discussed how to recoupe old batteries and one thing that seems to work is to roll it across the lawn

You can probably help us out with a real life test, please!

/T
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2011, 9:48 am Thread Starter

Garage
It's dead. Damn I'm pissed off Probably electrical gremlins, we'll see...

'04 999X
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2011, 9:19 am Thread Starter

Garage
Now that the bike is at the shop you can throw in your guesses on what might be the problem.

Yesterday's ride: Bike hesitated to start, but eventually it did and it ran nicely. I took off, but had to ride slowly because of the traffic. Bike started to heat up as it does while riding in the city traffic. Eventually I was just about the make my way out of the worst traffic when it died on the traffic lights. Tried to fire it up again, but no chance. So I pulled over and tried every now and then. Finally after a while it did start, but I think it was running on 1 cylinder(sounded like that). So I stopped it and tried few more times and finally it did run normally. I put the helmet on and wished I could ride it home, but after maybe 100 metres at 2nd gear bike starts to coff up and I pulled over and stopped it. Same again and same symptons, before I decide to leave it there and pick it up with van later on. Now when you turned in the key and put the electrics on it made this extra sound before fuel pump's buzzing sound. Little bit darker tone, but similar sound anyway. Also just when you turn it on the clutch turns a bit, so it makes u think if it is somehow moved by the starter. Anyway, that's it pretty much and now it's at my tuner getting some treatment and I'll know what's wrong in the next few days.

'04 999X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode