Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum - View Single Post - Dare I ask about oil?
View Single Post
post #30 of (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2015, 6:19 pm
Shazaam
Old Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy.j View Post
I won't be using it again, it's a race formulation oil and not suited to longer road bike change intervals.
Even on the oil pressure gauge I could see it degrade and drop pressure in as little as 800 km of hard use due to shear as the gearbox chopped it's long chain molecules up.
As davy.j points out above, any oil used in a shared sump motorcycle engine tends to thin out/loose viscosity) over time. The EPA has pressured engine manufacturers to extend oil change intervals to reduce the disposal problem of used motor oil. But therein lies a problem. Tests have shown that oil that also lubricates the gearbox in a motorcycle looses viscosity quite quickly. The gears in the transmission are the significant factor in cutting the longer oil molecules into shorter pieces that are less viscous.

In one series of tests, non-synthetic motorcycle-specific oils had lost over 30% of their viscosity at 800 miles, and over 35% at 1,500 miles.

It should be noted that the viscosity of synthetic-based oils generally drops more slowly than that of petroleum-based oils in the same engine. Also, starting out with a 50 weight oil means that it takes longer to end up with a 20 weight oil, for example.

This doesn't speak well for 7,500 mile oil change intervals (also encouraged by the EPA).

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome