Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

What have you done to/with your SS today?

288K views 2K replies 256 participants last post by  jdaniele 
#1 ·
Just checking to see what others are doing with their bikes right now.

Since mine is new and I'm going down the customization path (busted up side fairings makes this easier than it would be if they were pristine), I'm doing maintenance, reading up on things I don't know about (plenty) and shopping around on Ebay (Sorry, I'd buy from you guys here but I can't post in the classifieds yet).

Done something interesting?
New parts show up?

It might be inspirational to see what the rest of you are up to.

#294 ·
Restoration Complete

Might be easier to figure out what we didn't do to this completely restored 1991 900SS. After 7 months, the frame off restoration is complete.

Ducati Performance high Comp Pistons
Ducati Race Cams
New Aluminum Cam pulleys and Ducati Belts
Stradafab SS custom exhaust
Ducabike slipper clutch and Ducati Clutch pack
Malossi Pod Air filters on 41 MM Del Orto's
Yoyodyne Clutch slave
50mm Adjustable Clip on bars
Palozzi fully adjustable levers
Traction Dynamics front suspension internals
Traction Dynamics rebuild, respring, and new internals
Goodrich SS custom brake and clutch lines
EBC Organic brake pads
Protek rear sets
Bridgestone Battlax 003's front and rear
Ducati Performance Mono Tail and OEM Seat and back pad
Custom paint and number plates on mono tail
Airtech taillights, wired for running, brake and turn lights

Take it apart, put it back together, degree the cams, jets the carbs, tune the back pressure and then throw it on the dyno, and 7 months later you get this.

Check it out, its sitting behind my good friend Tim's 1000 SS Featherlight custom. It's in great company.

Let me know what you think?

#297 ·
Dyno results

Gentlemen,

I will post up the dyno graphs in the next day or so.

There are a ton of pictures on the Stradafab Exhuast post that is in the page now. I hijacked the Stradafab thread since it was discussing the exhaust that Randy built for this bike.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

#299 ·

Attachments

#311 ·
Pulled both wheels off.

OK - going to get new rubber fitted - Metzler M7RR's. Nearly 800km round trip to get them fitted...

Yeah, well - picking up a new (well, new to us) vehicle from just up the road at the same time. Now I just need a new battery, and rego and WOF (road safety compliance test), and I'll finally be back out riding again. About bloody time! :D

#314 ·
Wheeled it outside to start it up for a visitor. First time in 12 months that it has been started. Never had a charger connected to it. FCR's took a bit of time to prime well enough for some noise to happen. Few pops and a back fire but it ran. Shorai battery - supposed to lose 10% of the charge over that period. Might even get it out for a ride tomorrow - weather permitting.

#316 ·
Well, after a 600km (they've changed the roads a bit since I was last down that way) round trip in pissing wet weather most of the way down, and most of the way back - I now have two shiny new tyres waiting final reinstall back on the bike. The rear will go straight on - front will have to wait for me to pull the discs off, and fit my set of shiny new (Liam built) disc carriers to the rotors, and remount on the wheel. The buttons have chewed so far into the OEM carrier that the outside of them is flush with the alloy carrier! :eek: Then it's new battery time, then WOF (road safety/mech inspection) and registration, and I'll finally get to go for a ride again after too long. :D

Also now have a new (well, 2nd hand) cage - 1st one in about 14 years... 3.5l V6 AWD Nissan Elgrand van, which was the main reason for the long drive - though the place I got the tyres from (just down the road from the car place) was $200 cheaper for the set than anyone else. Not really a van person, but this one is OK. Will need it for my kid when he has to start using a wheelchair (prolly some time in the next year) - but when he's gone - it'll be fantastic for taking bikes to race meetings.

#319 ·
duc96cr, that's how intake manifolds and ports are done these days, at least that's what I'm told.
I believe it's because the rough surface causes a disruption of the air at the surfaces and that that has two benefits; one is that it helps maintain a more even air/fuel mixture dispersion and suspension, and second is that it allows the volume of air within the manifold and port move more efficiently because of the air-to-surface interface being "lubricated" by the disrupted air.
I may have lost something in the translation there, but that's what I recall was told to me.

The exhaust ports are more traditional looking, just shaped more efficiently.

#322 ·
Why not just use Silver/Grey cable ties to match the frame. Simple enough to do and they blend in nicely.

Look closely at Pic 2 below,can you spot the Red cable ties on my frame.

I used plastic cable ties in that pic but I've got some reusable velcro ones I got on Ebay that I wanna give a try.

Attachments

#325 ·
Here's some detail of the inside of the exhaust and intake ports.

You can't see it in these pictures, but n the outside of the heads, between the fins, you can see areas where the ports have been welded to build up material so that the size and shape of the ports could be changed.

#326 ·
Finally got to play with my Harmonizer Digital Manometer!

I know I know you can make one for 5 bucks, but who doesn't love a cool gadget, and its idiot (read :amateur proof) which I like.

Brief youtube link below, will post one of Gauge mode when I get a chance if people are interested in seeing it in action.

https://youtu.be/uIGjp0TsxVs

#327 ·
Got my new tyres (on the wheels) back on the bike. And - have you ever put something away where it would be 'safe'? And then not been able to find it? Yep - took me 3 days to find my 'new' disc carriers... But I did - and they're now on. :) The brakes make a different sound now - but when you look at the level of wear between the old ones and the new - well...

Attachments

Reactions: RAD02
#328 ·
Finished prepping for a big ride weekend - air filter cleaned, new oil and filter, removed shroud from headlight and cleaned film off inside of lens, got H4 LED bulb finally working right, switched dual seat back to single, bike running like a charm. :D