Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Source Needed for Stainless Fasteners

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Duc4S 
#1 ·
I need a good source for stainless steel hardware to order some bolts for my bike. I ordered a package a while back to change the visible fasteners to stainless but it was a mess and many were not the correct length.

#7 ·
I bought several hundered A2 SS fasteners from boltdepot.com. The Ducatis use special fasteners that are a cross between a low head and a socket head. But that is not a huge issue to me. Boltdepot.com does not have low head or flanged heads. The very large OD of the several fasteners that are at the bottom of my ST4s lowers and that cover the plastic tank cover are not available either.

The people who sell kits on Ebay are not of a good value, IMHO.

For those fasteners and plates that are still out in the rain, I am going to get them plated a satin like finish by a process used on guns. I think it is Armoloy, but the spelling may be off. I will do axle plates, battery holder, the large button heads, anything that I can take off and mail to them.

The A2 are about 6% less in strength and are more suseptible to galvanic corrosion.

Dave Harhay

#10 · (Edited)
Duc4S said:
Hey Bob,

Where did you get the Dzus kit?
Thanks!
It wasn't a kit. You have to order each fastener and recptacle separately. I used the excellent write-up from the Yahoo! st2_owners group to determine the quantity of each piece. The write-up is also here:

http://wolfcentral.net/ducati/dzus/Dzus Installation.htm

I used the table in section 5 to determine my quantities. I added a few pieces to each of the numbers in that chart.

I contacted Just Fasteners in Scotland for the Dzus components. During my transaction Just Fasteners was acquired by QEF Global. Some people have reported that the cost has gone up significantly since the acquisition.

It took me a few hours (maybe 3?) to fully complete the mod. I took my time and double checked everything. I can now remove my fairings in less than 5 minutes. Now I need a way to make the mirrors easier to remove. I have some ideas, but I need some mirror bases to experiment on.

-Bob

#12 ·

Attachments

#13 ·
I did that mirror knob mod a few years ago and it's a great mod! When you order the parts I suggest you get one or two spare knobs and studs. Then when you drop one down into the abyss it's nice to know you have a spare. Yup, I lost one once.

On my ST4, the 4 tips of the knobs hit the fairing mount and I had to grind them off a bit. I just used a bench grinder. If I remember only one or two knobs actually hit. You'll see what I mean, and it's easy to fix.

#14 ·
ryanr256 said:
It wasn't a kit. You have to order each fastener and recptacle separately. I used the excellent write-up from the Yahoo! st2_owners group to determine the quantity of each piece. The write-up is also here:

http://wolfcentral.net/ducati/dzus/Dzus%20Installation.htm

I used the table in section 5 to determine my quantities. I added a few pieces to each of the numbers in that chart.

-Bob
Thanks for the info!

john

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.