Throttle tube length? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2017, 5:59 am Thread Starter
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Throttle tube length?

Hey there, I wonder if someone here could answer a question for me? What is the length of the throttle tube on your Scrambler???

Odd question, I know. Here's why. I was looking for a tube to use on my bikes that would allow the use of any grip without having to take a Dremel tool and file to the OEM molded tube. If you didn't know, the OEM tube and rubber grip are proprietary items and the grip is fitted to the tube with ridges and such. You can use them, but it's best to smooth the ridges off for a better fit with aftermarket grips.

I did not want one of the throttle tamers available, I am happy / used to the throttle action as is. I came across this: https://brktbrkt.com/collections/scr...-throttle-tube. Looked promising for fit at the cable housing, so I took the chance and ordered one. Came in yesterday and it does fit the housing and works perfectly, but it is more than 1/2" too short! I could make it work, but even the grips I have to mount, two sets from two manufacturers, are longer. I would have to cut the new grips shorter to fit the tube to not have a piece of rubber hanging off the end and binding on the bar. The grips I have are the normal length and would fit both my bikes.

So my question is are the Scrambler, or even latest generation of Ducati grips shorter???? Just asking before I contact the company. I can't imagine why they would be anything but the standard length.

Dan. "Painfully mistaking my big talk for the truth" Samantha Fish.
2003 ST4s (The Truck)
1995 916 (Junk Yard Dog)

Last edited by SS904; Aug 10th, 2017 at 6:07 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2017, 4:08 pm Thread Starter
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Never mind...

I discovered the Progrip grips that are for sale on Desmotimes really do fit over the OEM throttle tube without needing to modify it. Not all Progrip grips do that, only models that have a concave shape at the flared end and a groove at the open end that fits perfectly over the ring on the end of the tube. Hard to explain if you're not holding one... The grip DT sells are a knurled surface and I put them on the 916. Perfect for that bike, firm but grippy. Went to Cyclegear for some fluids and found they have also had a model of Progrips that have the same features to fit the OEM tube. They were softer and more suited to the ST. Installed both sets, good to go.

If anyone needs a smooth throttle tube that is supposed to fit a Scrambler, PM me. Special deal, just for you!

Dan. "Painfully mistaking my big talk for the truth" Samantha Fish.
2003 ST4s (The Truck)
1995 916 (Junk Yard Dog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode