Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum (https://www.ducati.ms/forums/)
-   Scrambler (https://www.ducati.ms/forums/481-scrambler/)
-   -   Anyone moved up from a scrambler to a Hypermotard? (https://www.ducati.ms/forums/481-scrambler/624321-anyone-moved-up-scrambler-hypermotard.html)

Ralph Aldous Mellish Oct 16th, 2016 3:49 am

Anyone moved up from a scrambler to a Hypermotard?

I've had my Scrambler Icon for over a year and use it for commuting whenever I can. I really enjoy riding it but have a couple of niggles: The foot pegs are quite low and the seat is still not comfortable. The suspension is also not that great. I find I'm often scraping my toes on roundabouts, and at 6'2" the bike feels small, especially as my last bike was a tall Suzuki DR650. All of this hasn't stopped me enjoying the bike.
However, I recently saw an Aprilia Dorsoduro and that got me thinking... how about a new Ducati Hypermotard (not sure about the Dorso) and would like to stay with Ducati. Looking at a new 939, or a nearly new one.

So, has anyone changed from a Scrambler to a Hypermotard? If so, any impressions of advice?

Ralph Aldous Mellish Oct 23rd, 2016 2:01 am

Nobody?
Oh well. This is what happened...

Rode this used 939:
http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/...psqinfjkyy.jpg

Bought this new one:
http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/...pseinpjh2c.jpg

jbuffa Nov 5th, 2016 12:26 am

I actually have a Hyperstrada and a Full Throttle. Def 2 very different bikes. The scrambler is my first choice for fun in town and back roads, but not that great on the highway. I've done some longer rides on the Hyperstrada some even 2 up and it's exactly what I was looking for. A bike that is very fun to ride with some touring ability.

jbuffa Nov 5th, 2016 12:27 am

Oh and congratulations on your bike! I have the Hyper 821

idleidolidyll Mar 11th, 2017 9:41 am

I bought my 821SP new in early 2014 and love it. Last year I bought a Scrambler Full Throttle for my wife so I get to use both.

I'm 1.83 metres tall and the HM fits me well. The Scrambler though is too short from seat to footpegs and, although it's a lot of fun to ride: I couldn't put up with that cramped ride position for long.
I do love riding the Scrambler as it's just so relaxed and that's the point: these bikes are so different you are changing your whole ride style and mentality between the two. The Scrambler is very relaxed and it's very nice to ride at 100kph. The Hypermotard always wants to be revved and ridden hard.

If the upcoming Desert Sled has a longer pedal to seat distance; I'd consider one for gravel road and light trail riding.

Jungle_Jon May 9th, 2017 8:43 am

I have a 2015 Full throttle and recently ( feb ) bought a 939 Tard, love them both.

The wife drives the FT, perfect size for her and she loves all the scrambler gear / look that goes with it.

I take the FT out now and then and it's a riot, i've had it on long runs also and it's fine.

JJ

idleidolidyll Jan 5th, 2018 12:10 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph Aldous Mellish (Post 6081705)
I've had my Scrambler Icon for over a year and use it for commuting whenever I can. I really enjoy riding it but have a couple of niggles: The foot pegs are quite low and the seat is still not comfortable. The suspension is also not that great. I find I'm often scraping my toes on roundabouts, and at 6'2" the bike feels small, especially as my last bike was a tall Suzuki DR650. All of this hasn't stopped me enjoying the bike.
However, I recently saw an Aprilia Dorsoduro and that got me thinking... how about a new Ducati Hypermotard (not sure about the Dorso) and would like to stay with Ducati. Looking at a new 939, or a nearly new one.

So, has anyone changed from a Scrambler to a Hypermotard? If so, any impressions of advice?

I don't e the logic in your post. My wife has a Scrambler Full Throttle and I have a Hypermotard SP. It's not a move 'up' to the Hypermotards, they're completely different animals and both have their strengths and weaknesses.
If you like to cruise around the speed limit and feel relaxed on a bike: that's the Scrambler.
If you're a hooligan who likes to pop wheelies and never relax, that's the Hypermotards.
If you're short, the Hypermotards SP will just piss you off

gsinid Jan 10th, 2018 10:59 am

I've found myself dragging toe on every ducati from the Hyperstrada to the Panigale. While it is easier on the hyper than the panigale, I find the Pani eats toes quicker than any of my other superbikes (BMW, Kawi, Honda). I wonder if this is related more with how easy they are to drop into a corner than with peg position?!