Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum (https://www.ducati.ms/forums/)
-   Scrambler (https://www.ducati.ms/forums/481-scrambler/)
-   -   How is the Scrambler on the highway? (https://www.ducati.ms/forums/481-scrambler/610185-how-scrambler-highway.html)

avonnieda Aug 2nd, 2016 1:07 pm

How is the Scrambler on the highway?

Hi folks,

Thinking about picking up a Scrambler, and one thing that it seems I've read a couple of times is that it's not great for the highway, like over 70MPH for example. First, is this true, and if it is, is it just the tires or something more? I'm regularly around 80MPH on the highway where I live.

Thanks,

-Adam

PhilBoncer Aug 2nd, 2016 1:41 pm

The Scrambler will be fine on the highway, at speeds up to or over 100mph. Mechanically, it's basically a 796 Monster, and has plenty of power and stability for that. What it doesn't have is wind protection. Which would be equally true for a Monster, or any other naked bike. That's your call as to whether you are OK with the wind at those speeds.

PhilB

coelacanth Aug 2nd, 2016 1:43 pm

I no longer own Scrambler (nothing wrong with the bike!), but my observation and solutions were

My Problem
Due to no wind protection and very upright riding position with wide handle bars, I got very tired of riding highways at 70-80 mph.

My Solution
Changed the handlebars to Norman Hyde M-Bars. More tacked in and felt better riding at higher speed.

My Problem
foot pegs were way too slippery. My foot fell off of the peg more than a few times.

My Solution
Replaced the pegs with 3rd party, grippier ones.

My Problem
Often my left foot searched for non-existing 7th gear.

My Solution
*I just adjusted myself. (was coming from taller geared Ducs) You could change the sprocket if you do a lot of highway rides, but I didn't think it was needed.

avonnieda Aug 2nd, 2016 1:49 pm

Thanks very much for the replies guys, sounds like I really shouldn't be concerned, or anything that might concern me can be fixed.

Much appreciated, I'll probably be picking a Scrambler up soon :)

-Adam

PhilBoncer Aug 2nd, 2016 2:02 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by avonnieda (Post 5974393)
Thanks very much for the replies guys, sounds like I really shouldn't be concerned, or anything that might concern me can be fixed.

Much appreciated, I'll probably be picking a Scrambler up soon :)

-Adam

Test ride a couple configurations if you can. I would definitely either get the version with the lower handlebars, or at least have those bars fitted to whatever version I did get. YMMV.

PhilB

avonnieda Aug 2nd, 2016 2:23 pm

Roger that Phil, thanks.

PhilBoncer Aug 2nd, 2016 2:33 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by avonnieda (Post 5974473)
Roger that Phil, thanks.

The only quibble I had when I rode the Scramblers was the tall handlebars (Icon basic version). I ride a 1993 M900 Monster, which is remarkably similar in scope. A little less power, a little more leaned forward, and of course relatively primitive (carburetors, no ABS, etc.). Over time, I've just gotten used to the wind (indeed I prefer it; I don't like fairings), and I can cruise on the highway at over 90 mph for hours, up to about 600 miles a day without trouble. I have done over 900 miles in a day a few times, but that's a long day. If/when I need to replace it, the Scrambler would be a very familiar choice, and a strong contender.

PhilB

Jungle_Jon May 9th, 2017 9:01 am

I had one that the wife took off after about a month, she loves it!

We go away regularly for 3/4 days at a time and drive at 120/130kms on the highway, no problems at all. Any faster than that and she has to hand on if it gets bumpy, she's only little - lol.

Great bike.

JJ

multipepe Sep 20th, 2017 5:56 pm

It's fine on a freeway, just a little work. Builds big neck. ;-)