Multi 1200S stalling and misshifts way too easily - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 2:44 pm Thread Starter

Multi 1200S stalling and misshifts way too easily

I have ridden my Multi 1200S Sport for 2,000 miles since purchasing it 4 weeks ago. I love this bike but have two odd issues going on. First, several times when coming to a stop or slowing to make a turn at a stop light it has stalled out on me.

Second, it loves finding neutral when upshifting and down shifting. This is my first Ducati so at first I assumed it was just that I was getting used to a different bike and it's quirks. I usually get past little things like this quickly, but it is beginning to make me wonder if its not me. This is my 5th bike and I have ridden almost 90,000 miles in 20 years so I am not a newbie. Anyone else out there experiencing similar issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 3:01 pm

Me and a couple of friends all had stalling issues with the mts1200. All of our stalling issues went away with the full Termi system.

No problems with false neutrals here.

'16 Hypermotard 939 SP
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 3:02 pm

EErikson,
I am also having problems engaging gears on upshifts.I think its the position of the gear lever.It seems difficult to hook my toes under the lever.It either needs to be longer or maybe positioned slightly higher.
My bike did stall a couple of times whilst running in but hasn't done so since the first service.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 3:12 pm
Beta Tester

the stalling issue has been covered on this forum extensively. most, i believe, have had some luck fiddling with the air bleed screws in the throttle bodies, or just take it back to the dealer. my S4R would die after a start when the engine was hot (say, after refueling during a long ride). i backed out the air bleed screws a quarter, or half turn, and has never stalled again.

the false neutrals have occured with every new ducati i've had. for me, these have gone away as the tranny beaks in, and after a few oil changes. it also could be that you need to shift with a little more force than your previous bike, or position the shifter lever for more mechanical advantage.

my new multi 1200 had a false between 5th-6th until the second oil change @ 3,000 miles, and has been fine since then.

Casey
'15 Multistrada DVT 1200S Touring
'13 Hypermotard SP
'13 Yamaha WR250R
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 3:42 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelumox View Post
the false neutrals have occured with every new ducati i've had. for me, these have gone away as the tranny beaks in, and after a few oil changes. it also could be that you need to shift with a little more force than your previous bike, or position the shifter lever for more mechanical advantage.

my new multi 1200 had a false between 5th-6th until the second oil change @ 3,000 miles, and has been fine since then.
No stalling issues here.
Similar results on the false neutral and had it with my 2 ST4s'ses.
Took approx. 6000 miles before the gearbox actually ran smooth. Have slightly over 2000 on the 1200 now and not ideal but improving. What may help is to increase the clutch lever outward so you get more stroke for the clutch to disengage (hope your hands are big enough) and reduce that whilst the bike breaks in. Note that the 1200 gearbox is the same as the st4s gearbox ... (I think, ratios are the same).

I think the word is patience ... as I experienced it before ...

Ciao, and ....

When you stick your head in the sand today you'll be grinding your teeth tomorrow!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 5:35 pm
You're gonna love my nuts...

Ditto on the full Termi curing the engine issues. I still have the false 5-6, 4-5 & 1-2 but I usually catch it before I disengage the clutch.

2014 Multistrada 1200S Pikes Peak
PAST, gone but not forgotten (thank you for the memories & keeping me safe): 2010 Multistrada 1200S, black & black
PAST: 08 Hyper, red & 'blacked out'
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 10:29 pm

No shifting problems.
No stalling before or after full Termi.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 12:14 am

3,000 kms and had my first stall today stopping at some lights.
False neutrals 4-5 mainly. I also thought it was me as this is my first Ducati too. Been riding for 35 years, so I'm no newbie either.
My useless back brake is more of a concern to me.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 3:36 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. Much apreciated. At least I know I am not going crazy and to know what some solutions can be.

Peter 1200 - my back break is also weak, but I am going to fix that when I do the 3,000 miles oil change.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 4:22 pm

my back break is also weak, but I am going to fix that when I do the 3,000 miles oil change.

What are you going to do to fix it??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode