Track Day on a Multi - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2010, 1:42 pm Thread Starter

Track Day on a Multi

I'm thinking I'm going to do my first ever track day in August. I have two bikes to choose from. There is the 1995 900SS CR that has had close to $11,000 put into it. Then there is a 2005 1000S DS Multi. I don't want to even think about anything bad happening to my 900SS so it looks like if I do this it will be on the Multi.

How many of you have track day'd a Multi? The older version, not the new beast with a huge motor. Were people blowing by you left and right? What's the top speed on one of these, like 115 mph? Did you have fun? Would you discourage me from taking this bike for a track day?

It's my first so I don't know what to expect. I just picture everyone on liter bikes lapping my ass.

Can you share your experiences with me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2010, 1:55 pm

Don't sweat the Multi. Your first track day guarantees getting lapped by everyone except the other first timers. Also, I've seen 9 y/o kids on 125's lap guys on 1000 cc bikes who thought they were fast session after session.

Forget about what everyone else is riding and doing and take your Multi to the track. Just don't ride above your skills or try and impress anyone.

"I miss the sound of a dry clutch in the morning"

13 Multistrada 1200s Touring
03 749s for the track
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2010, 2:05 pm
pdm

By all means go, no matter what motorcycle you pick, it's a blast, and you learn a lot from it, and become a better driver.

If this is your first time, people will wuuush past you no matter what bike you have and they have. Even the slowest naked bikes with experienced drivers will eat you. Just go on the old multi if you feel safer with that, it's plenty fast for having fun. Beating your own time is what I find the most fun, as it shows you're getting better.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2010, 7:36 pm

I've done trackdays on my naked KTM 950SM, you can do it on the Multi, though I agree the 900SS isn't a good choice. You want the newest, best maintained, most reliable, safest bike you own on the track.

I don't find the top speed straights particularly fun, they end in corners that will require fierce braking the faster you go. Hitting your lines, getting better every time you see the same corner again, and enjoying the vibe and camaraderie of the track are the highlights. You can have just as much fun on a Ninja 250 as a full-on superbike.

Have fun and don't worry about anyone's lap times, including your own.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2010, 8:43 pm

Don't ride without the best gear you can afford and don't forget a high quality back protector, preferably one that covers your shoulder blades.
Have fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode