Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Keeping the Black.....Black.

3K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  TallOne 
#1 ·
Wondering if anyone has found a good product to keeping the black on these bikes looking good. While the engine components are of a semi-gloss black, many of the other parts are either black plastic or textured black powder coat.
The front intake and fender seem to take the most abuse from the sun. I'm not some detailing fanatic, but I do like to keep it looking good. Here are some of the products I've tried, all with limited success.
Any suggestions would help.

Armor-all : Greasy, not appropriate for all surfaces and attracts dust like an alcoholic to a distillery.
Turtle Wax Trim restorer: Lots of work to work it in, buffing, blah blah blah, only lasts 2 washes at most.
Mothers Back to Black: Probably the worst of the bunch. Leaves a film on textured surfaces.
S100 engine detailer: Only works on engine components, hard to prevent getting it where it should't go.

#2 ·
No really good options... I use mothers back to black, let it set for a half hour then clean as much residue off as possible. Needs to be frequently re-applied.

#4 ·
Carpro Perl - I looked into your exact same question last year and after talking with some top detailing guys they suggested Perl made by Carpro. It's as easy as spraywax to apply and as long as you use a good auto soap like Maguiers Gold when washing the bike the Perl will last a long time. Plus it can go on any surface so I use it on all black plastic as well as fork bottoms, seat, controls, engine pieces, etc.
Also on both our cars as well.
Can get it on Amazon and detailing sites and it may seem pricey but it's concentrated so if you mix it 3:1 (which is perfect for our use) it lasts a very very long time.

#7 ·
For anything plastic I recommend this very highly...

https://www.303products.com.au/product-range/automotive/303-automotive-protectant

It's like a suncreme for your plastics and will bring them back to a nice deep black, but doesn't leave a residue or film. Only need a very thin layer with the excess buffed off well. I use the spray but it does come in wipes. If you use too much it can run a little if it gets wet, but just wipes straight off. Easy to find here in Aus, not sure about overseas. Works well on coloured plastics too. I use it on every part of the body work.

Reactions: hawkgt
#8 ·
My son worked as a detailer at a local body shop, where he is now a body work apprentice. From his professional experience he brought home products from a company called VooDoo Ride.

They are now available on Amazon and at O’Reilly’s in some areas in limited scope. They make all kinds of professional detailing products from wheel and tire care to just general cleaning to polishes and waxes. As he got some promo stuff, I tried it out on some of my bikes. It works a treat.
https://voodooride.com/
I dunno about on the engine though. I haven’t seen anything from them that is designed with that in mind. For engine stuff I use a product made for detailing Harley Davidsons called Pig Spit. Spray on wait a minute or two and wipe off.

Both the Pig Spit and the VooDoo Ride are detailing products. The 303 stuff mentioned above, while outstanding in its own right is more for restoring sun faded plastics. The Pig Spit and VooDoo Ride are for maintaining plastics do they don’t reach the point where you need the 303.....sean

#15 ·
Most of these options seem to be an oil based coating to make it look black, or a protectant to keep the plastics from fading.

When I first got my 1260, I put Rejex on my black plastics. Big mistake. Now it looks chalky, and I have not found anything that will do a deep cleaning on the black plastics.

I think if I could get them very clean, then use a protectant (such as 303) then they will continue to look black naturally with no stains or oils. Any suggestions for a deep cleaner?

#17 ·
It's not really a clean problem... it's evaporation (or some other loss mechanism) of the oils at the surface of the plastic... which change it's color. Most of the solutions just add new oils that will (for a while) re-saturate that surface layer.

I'd not be surprised if really aggressive cleaners would actually make the problem even worse because they're usually solvents which tend to attack oils and remove even more of them.

Solutions seem to be: Temp fix by add oils back in... or permanent fix by priming/painting (satin or flat).

OR you can replace all that old plastic with shiny carbon fiber parts....

Reactions: suruppak
#16 ·
I use Pro Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish. Works well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.