Keeping the Black.....Black. - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2019, 12:57 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Keeping the Black.....Black.

Wondering if anyone has found a good product to keeping the black on these bikes looking good. While the engine components are of a semi-gloss black, many of the other parts are either black plastic or textured black powder coat.
The front intake and fender seem to take the most abuse from the sun. I'm not some detailing fanatic, but I do like to keep it looking good. Here are some of the products I've tried, all with limited success.
Any suggestions would help.

Armor-all : Greasy, not appropriate for all surfaces and attracts dust like an alcoholic to a distillery.
Turtle Wax Trim restorer: Lots of work to work it in, buffing, blah blah blah, only lasts 2 washes at most.
Mothers Back to Black: Probably the worst of the bunch. Leaves a film on textured surfaces.
S100 engine detailer: Only works on engine components, hard to prevent getting it where it should't go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2019, 2:23 pm

Garage
No really good options... I use mothers back to black, let it set for a half hour then clean as much residue off as possible. Needs to be frequently re-applied.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2019, 3:52 pm

Garage
Get yourself a can of this:

'10 MTS1200 S
'00 VTR1000f

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2019, 4:12 pm

Carpro Perl - I looked into your exact same question last year and after talking with some top detailing guys they suggested Perl made by Carpro. It's as easy as spraywax to apply and as long as you use a good auto soap like Maguiers Gold when washing the bike the Perl will last a long time. Plus it can go on any surface so I use it on all black plastic as well as fork bottoms, seat, controls, engine pieces, etc.
Also on both our cars as well.
Can get it on Amazon and detailing sites and it may seem pricey but it's concentrated so if you mix it 3:1 (which is perfect for our use) it lasts a very very long time.

2016 Multistrada 1200S Touring
2018 KTM 300XC
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2019, 5:05 pm

Funny this came up, I washed the bike and truck today and have a number of pieces that clearly are fading on both vehicles. Came here to see if anyone had a solution. Anyone have actual experience / results using carpro perl?

New (to me) 2012 S Touring; 99 Suzuki TL1000R in need of love
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2019, 5:27 pm Thread Starter

Garage
I knew someone would have the answer. I ordered 1 of each and will see what comes out best. Thanks for the advice!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2019, 5:57 pm

For anything plastic I recommend this very highly...

https://www.303products.com.au/produ...ive-protectant

It's like a suncreme for your plastics and will bring them back to a nice deep black, but doesn't leave a residue or film. Only need a very thin layer with the excess buffed off well. I use the spray but it does come in wipes. If you use too much it can run a little if it gets wet, but just wipes straight off. Easy to find here in Aus, not sure about overseas. Works well on coloured plastics too. I use it on every part of the body work.
hawkgt likes this.

Current: 13' MTS1200S Touring | 06' Monster 620
Past: 84' Honda CT-110 | 94' Kawasaki EL-250 | 04' Honda CT-110 | 89' Honda VT-250
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2019, 6:44 pm

Garage
My son worked as a detailer at a local body shop, where he is now a body work apprentice. From his professional experience he brought home products from a company called VooDoo Ride.

They are now available on Amazon and at O’Reilly’s in some areas in limited scope. They make all kinds of professional detailing products from wheel and tire care to just general cleaning to polishes and waxes. As he got some promo stuff, I tried it out on some of my bikes. It works a treat.
https://voodooride.com/
I dunno about on the engine though. I haven’t seen anything from them that is designed with that in mind. For engine stuff I use a product made for detailing Harley Davidsons called Pig Spit. Spray on wait a minute or two and wipe off.

Both the Pig Spit and the VooDoo Ride are detailing products. The 303 stuff mentioned above, while outstanding in its own right is more for restoring sun faded plastics. The Pig Spit and VooDoo Ride are for maintaining plastics do they don’t reach the point where you need the 303.....sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2019, 7:53 pm

Garage
I think you will find the SC1 satisfactory. Spray it on and let sit for a few minutes, then wipe/buff. Keeps my 2010 looking new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0245.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	953965  
mr.wesg likes this.

'10 MTS1200 S
'00 VTR1000f
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2019, 9:55 pm

Funny enough I have always used Pledge and a microfiber clothall over the bike and wd40 on the rims. Had the the 2010 multistrada since new and this pic is from a month ago

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
harun and Wolverine1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode