Loss of gears 2013 pp 1200 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2019, 2:08 am Thread Starter

Garage
Loss of gears 2013 pp 1200

Went into work today and from a stop I stalled the bike. I looked down and it said 3rd gear weird as it wouldn't go down any further. I was able to shift into 4th 5th and 6th on the free way but wasnt able to go down to 4th. Get to work and it sits for 10 hours and now I can do 4th and 5th but not 6th. I still don't have 1,2 or 3rd gears. I just did a fluid flush of brakes and clutch 2 days and about 150 miles ago. I need help asap please.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Duckey #1 06 Giants S2r 800 #2 12 White and Red 848 EVO are gone#3 13 Pikes Peak Multistrada Still have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2019, 3:37 am

Probably the return spring broken. It's a common problem with Ducati.

2012 1200S

Last edited by dharma; Sep 14th, 2019 at 3:55 am.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2019, 11:45 pm Thread Starter

Garage
is that hard to replace/ fix? i need to do some research, hopefully i can do it myself, and not spend a fortune at a shop to have it done

Duckey #1 06 Giants S2r 800 #2 12 White and Red 848 EVO are gone#3 13 Pikes Peak Multistrada Still have

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2019, 2:15 am

You need parts 20 and 27 in pic. Only one probably broken, but change both. Approx 2 hours to fix for a shop. Springs are cheap. The oil needs to be drained, new oil and filter.
harun likes this.

2012 1200S

Last edited by dharma; Sep 16th, 2019 at 3:05 am.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2019, 10:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharma View Post
Probably the return spring broken. It's a common problem with Ducati.
+1. They are good for about 20K miles and then they fail. When I first got my bike with just a couple of miles on it, a local indy told me the shift return spring would fail at 20K miles and it did. It's a weak link/design common to several Ducati models - not just the Multistrada. Way to go Ducati.

2012 Arctic White Multistrada 1200S Touring Model
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2019, 12:38 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
+1. They are good for about 20K miles and then they fail. When I first got my bike with just a couple of miles on it, a local indy told me the shift return spring would fail at 20K miles and it did. It's a weak link/design common to several Ducati models - not just the Multistrada. Way to go Ducati.
damascus what indy did you go to get it fixed at? how much if you dont mind me asking. im from the east bay

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2019, 2:46 pm

jocww How many miles on your bike? My '13 has about 15k. Sounds like a quick fix. Keep us informed.. Thanks
Cheers
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2019, 1:17 am Thread Starter

Garage
22830, i just put a new battery and changed the fluids. I thought maybe i had done the clutch fluid wrong, but yea it probably is the spring. I was quoted 597 to do it at a shop in SF. I am going to try and see where else there is to go. On my evo I had advanced cycles do it, but they were closed so Ill have to call tomorrow.
Steve W. likes this.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2019, 7:42 am

A creative/experienced shop will have a "hook in the ceiling" above their service stand to suspend the bike over at enough of an angle so the oil doesn't have to be drained when pulling the side covers to change these springs. (That is of course if the oil doesn't need changing anyway.) Saves some time and a fair percentage of the job's cost.

2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2019, 11:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocww View Post
damascus what indy did you go to get it fixed at? how much if you dont mind me asking. im from the east bay
I went to Nichols Sport Bikes nicholssportbikes.com - 913 Hanson Court, Milpitas, CA 95035 - 1-408-945-0911 - about 4 years ago.

It cost me $200 for the tow (from my garage where the spring fortunately broke) + $300 for labor + $5 for the spring

Yeah, that's what I said too.

I usually do my own work, but this required a special tool (if I recall correctly???) I didn't have at the time and I was feeling lazy so I took the beating.

It's a frightening thing to know that spring could break while out on a trip. It would suck to have it break off in the mountains somewhere.

2012 Arctic White Multistrada 1200S Touring Model
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode