Undecided 2013 Vs 2016 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2019, 7:27 pm Thread Starter

Undecided 2013 Vs 2016

Gents I need help. This is my first motorcycle and of course I’m drawn to the fine percusin and burst y of Italian engineering. However I’m undecided on the year. What is the difference between a 2013 Multistrada 1200S touring & a 2016 Multistrada 1200S Touring???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2019, 7:33 pm

Moar fine percusin and burst y'ness.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. If this is your first one then go cheap and ride the piss out of it to see what you like and don't like.
craiger527 likes this.

2007 GT1000 - 2015 1299S - 2019 KTM SMC R
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2019, 7:50 pm

Either choice is a lot of bike for a first motorcycle. Gotta learn to walk before you run...just sayin'
harun likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2019, 11:41 pm

Garage
If you do this, you'll probably later come to realize that picking such a large and powerful motorcycle as your first bike was a mistake. You'll have a harder time learning some of the finer points of control on a larger bike. The best riders usually started out on little dirt bikes, that's not a coincidence. I'm also speaking from experience. I learned to ride on a little bike, then very quickly jumped to a big one. I had fun, I loved it. It was still a mistake, because that big machine taught me some bad habits, and I didn't realize it until I went back to the small stuff.

Just something to think about.

To answer your question there are far too many technical differences between those two motorcycles to cover in a forum post. 2015 was a platform change year for the Multistrada, they share no major parts with the 2014 and earlier bikes, and among the changes was a variable valve timing engine (DVT). Very broadly speaking, the pre-DVT bikes have a more sporting character, while the DVT machines lean towards the touring end of things. That's a fine distinction, and largely opinion based, others might not agree. They are both very capable in either capacity, just a matter of focus. 2015+ has more advanced electronic rider aids, and an improved version of the semi-active suspension system both bikes have.

Personally, I would not buy a pre-2015 "S" bike, I would wait and fine a well sorted Pikes Peak. The early years of the skyhook suspension were problematic for quite a few owners.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2019, 12:35 am

if you decide on a 2013, mines for sale. one of the nicest around.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sg...975347150.html

NASCAR Fans; tattooed,shirtless,sewer mouthed drunks......and their husbands.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2019, 6:50 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamayo562 View Post
Gents I need help. This is my first motorcycle and of course Im drawn to the fine percusin and burst y of Italian engineering. However Im undecided on the year. What is the difference between a 2013 Multistrada 1200S touring & a 2016 Multistrada 1200S Touring???
I totally agree flynnmoon.
try to walk at first.than you can try to run later.
MTS is not a bike to start for riding!!!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2019, 7:20 am

Garage
You can easily get killed with either of those bikes. Go for a smaller capacity one, ride a couple of years and then switch to a Multi. That's what I did (Versys 650 being my previous and first bike) and I never regretted my decision. Now that I have more or less learned my '11 Multi, it's clearer than ever to me that I made the right move.

Multistrada 1200 ABS '11
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2019, 8:02 am

Hate to pile on, but a Multistrada as a first bike is a big mistake - maybe even fatal!
Rosso Classico and Steve W. like this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2019, 8:09 am

Garage
If you really need the touring capability for your first motorcycle maybe consider a first gen Multistrada or Multi 620? SUPER cheap these days.

#3 2015 Triumph Daytona 675R (Track Bike)
#7 2008 Ducati Multistrada 1100S (Street Bike)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2019, 1:07 am

Im with the guys above, start with something smaller and lighter, do a 2 year apprenticeship. The Multi is heavy, its heavy to move around, and its not the best in traffic. Something like a KTM 690, nimble light and reliable, then get your 2016 Multi. Good luck and safe riding.

multistrada 1200.. 2010... Black with full system...2016 KTM 1290 GT. Remus can and link pipe. 2018 KTM 790 fun machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode