Bike rough below 4k. I'm new to the MS - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2019, 5:28 am Thread Starter

Bike rough below 4k. I'm new to the MS

I bought a 2004 1000 DS of a local auction site. Bike is in very good condition and 28K on the clock.

The bike is quite rough below 4K when cold, but once warmed up, it improves but still not smooth. It really feels like my old BMW F650 below 4 k.

Just wondering of this is normal or possibly the intakes are not synchronised. It does have 2 cables from the throttle and I'm not sure if it is dual throttle or push pull as it is so difficult to see anything under the tank.

I have about 8 mm of free play in the throttle rotation as well !!

Any suggestions ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2019, 7:02 am

push/pull. attend to the basics, then go looking for a problem if it's still not right.

know all wanker
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2019, 9:12 am
Prolific Poster Award

Not trying to be a smart ass, right off the top. Many new Ducati owners think their bike runs rough below 4000rpm. Itís a twin, and it isnít counter balanced or rubber mounted, thatís part of it. For an engine tuned for a high rpm capability, below 4000 rpm is not where it wants to be, and itís gently telling you so. BUT, itís maintenance record is probably unknown ? Engines run smoother when in good tune. Little things can go out of adjustment over time , like synchronization of throttle bodies, valve adjustment, timing, chain adjustment. These can effect how smoothly the engine runs. Chains can wear, causing vibration. Spark plugs can get dirty. Address all these things, put the bike back in good condition, maintenance wise. Then see how much it vibrates. Many owners drop a tooth on the front sprocket so the engine revs into the smoother range quicker. You might try that. Or change to a bigger rear sprocket if the chain needs replacement. The basic thing is donít ride around under 4000rpm when you can help it. Good luck.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2019, 3:35 pm Thread Starter

I have (still in storage) a 1980 SSD 900 and I remember it being quite smooth below 4k. Problem here in NZ is the town speed limit is 50km and highway 100km so hard to get above 4k when tootling around.

It is a twin but my BMW single seemed smoother below 4k.

I'll start checking all the bits.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2019, 4:24 pm

it's an open loop ecu, i would expect it to be fine from 2,000 rpm upwards if it's set up right.

know all wanker
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Probably could use a complete going over and service.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 8:51 pm

My 2016 Multistrada doesn't really hit its stride until 4000 rpm. I always keep the rpms at or above 4k. I think this is common and nothing to be concerned about.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 8:43 pm

Garage
yup, welcome to it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
Not trying to be a smart ass, right off the top. Many new Ducati owners think their bike runs rough below 4000rpm. Itís a twin, and it isnít counter balanced or rubber mounted, thatís part of it. For an engine tuned for a high rpm capability, below 4000 rpm is not where it wants to be, and itís gently telling you so. BUT, itís maintenance record is probably unknown ? Engines run smoother when in good tune. Little things can go out of adjustment over time , like synchronization of throttle bodies, valve adjustment, timing, chain adjustment. These can effect how smoothly the engine runs. Chains can wear, causing vibration. Spark plugs can get dirty. Address all these things, put the bike back in good condition, maintenance wise. Then see how much it vibrates. Many owners drop a tooth on the front sprocket so the engine revs into the smoother range quicker. You might try that. Or change to a bigger rear sprocket if the chain needs replacement. The basic thing is donít ride around under 4000rpm when you can help it. Good luck.
Coming from a Harley 96" twin cam, I can say that there was no getting used to that for me. However, like any differences in engine type, there are vast differences in powerband or smooth, hard acceleration. Anyone who has ridden an in-line 4 cl. Japanese bike will get on a Ducati and say "Hay man, this thing is f-ed up"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode