How o check the oil level - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 2:11 pm Thread Starter

How o check the oil level

I realize how dumb this may sound initially, but.

Can you check the oil level accurately with the bike on the centerstand?

It seems pretty awkward to do it any other way.

I have a 2015 1200DVT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 2:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman137 View Post
Can you check the oil level accurately with the bike on the centerstand
Yes, the center stand only changes the bike's front-to-back level about 4. The important thing is to keep the bike upright side-to-side.

Another method is to use a small hand mirror to view the sight glass when you’re astride to make sure it’s between the two marks.
SP3, DaveNZ, Wolverine1 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Strega; Aug 22nd, 2019 at 3:00 pm.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 3:09 pm

Garage
Typically the oil level will be a little bit off on the stand, the amount can vary. Simple test will be to set your oil level to the lower 1/4 on the stand, then take it off the stand and check it with both wheels on the ground and upright. Most of the time I see bikes over filled because a owner used the center stand and filler it to 3/4 and above then when flat you have almost no air in the window.

Once you know where you need to be on your bike simply mentally note the location or mark the cover.

Too little oil we get can be bad. Too much oil is about not knowing if your cases are over filled due to coolant,water,gas or excess oil in the cases so you always want a air gap in the window so an a glance you can tell if you are good to go.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 4:29 pm

Both tires should be on the ground and the bike vertical. With the bike on the side stand, I stand on the righthand side of the bike, pull it towards me with one hand on the handlebar, and the other on the seat. Once it is fairly balanced, you can bend down a bit and see the oil level.
DaveNZ, Wolverine1 and TNMulti like this.

2015 Multistrada S / FULL MIVV exhaust / Rexxer ECU flash

--
When life throws you a curve, lean into it and grab a handful on the way out!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 7:44 pm

it's so simple. Check with both wheels on the ground then put it on the center stand, oil level is the same. So yeah, check it on the center stand or off, virtually no difference
batman137 likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 8:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamworth View Post
it's so simple. Check with both wheels on the ground then put it on the center stand, oil level is the same. So yeah, check it on the center stand or off, virtually no difference
I'll test this out with a helper sitting on the bike. I hope your right, because checking it on the center stand would make all the difference. Everything else sounds risky as hell.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 9:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
Both tires should be on the ground and the bike vertical. With the bike on the side stand, I stand on the righthand side of the bike, pull it towards me with one hand on the handlebar, and the other on the seat. Once it is fairly balanced, you can bend down a bit and see the oil level.
that's how i would do it. the bike can't fall to the left as the side stand is down, can't fall to the right as that's where you are. well, you'll break its fall anyway.

know all wanker
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 9:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by belter View Post
that's how i would do it. the bike can't fall to the left as the side stand is down, can't fall to the right as that's where you are. well, you'll break its fall anyway.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2019, 10:39 am

Garage
After initially testing to assure myself that checking the oil on the center-stand is very close to checking with both wheels on the ground I've done it that way for the last 35,000 miles.

I also found that checking the chain tension is very much the same on the center-stand as it is on the side-stand (as the manual says to check it). It seems to be off about the width of the chain rivet, so I mentally compensate using the little gauge that comes with the tool kit.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how big of a hole you make.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2019, 11:22 am

I noticed that on a center stand the oil level is a bit higher than with the wheels on the ground. Coincidentally, the difference is exactly the same as between hot and cold oil. So (at least for me), cold oil level on the stand = hot oil level with both wheels on the ground. But, as already mentioned, the levels difference (on the center stand or on the ground) is so small that it can be safely ignored. Way more important is to keep the bike straight left/right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode