New owner, what to expect - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 2:44 pm Thread Starter

New owner, what to expect

Hello All

well after about 9 years I have finally(against my better judgement) given up and bought a new to me 2014 multistrada S touring

2400 miles on it

I have spent 9 years "wanting" this bike and have , instead, bought 2 different Kawasaki 1400 Concourse, 2 different triumph tigers 955 and 1050... all of them absolutely wonderful ZERO MAINTENENCE bikes.

also bought a 950 KTM adventure and an 09 1200 BMW 1200 GS.... nice bikes, but rode them once each and sold

I ride twice a year... in tennesse/north carolina... my buddies and I trailer down from Michigan , rent those cottages on the side of a mountain... and ride from there for a week in spring and a week in fall

The Ducati has always "called to me"... but I "know" owning one is like dating a crazy bitch stripper... seems like a good idea... but is not.

so I did it this week....

2400 miles... what could go wrong? If it was a Kawasaki... well... nothing....

so...

I'll call the local dealer to check on recalls? what recalls have there been?

what are the next few things that are likely to send me scurrying to my facebook and craigslsist account to post for sale

Have made up my mind I am NOT selling that concours until after I have ridden this Ducati... in fact if there is room on the trailer... I'll take the Kaw with me on the next trip.

I am hoping this Ducati.. like some things in life... is not something I should have just rented to get out of my system...

so... what do I expect/look for etc please

Thank you all
Wolverine1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 4:05 pm

I don't know what, exactly, your hesitation is... sounds like your expectations of a Ducati are based on the company's reputation in the 1970's and 80's, when owning an Italian make means you put up with a lot of shop time (FIAT = Fix It Again Tony). Ducati has changed a lot from those days, and I'd say although the Japanese bikes and BMW may have the edge on reliability, it's a thin margin. All the bikes nowadays have tons of electronic gadgetry, and overall it works. All vendors have the odd recall. The multi is a mature product line, and IMHO one helluva' bike. YMMV.

As for what to expect, for one you can expect an engine with a great sound, gobs of torque starting at 2500rpm, and handling to rival a superbike.

You can also expect pretty lackluster performance offroad with the 17" front even with offroad tires, at least in soft stuff vs. the KTM or GS... the Multi tends to lean more towards street performance than dirt.

Major services are $$, there's a lot of disassembly required to do valves. Parts are expensive, some more so than others, and you WILL run into waiting 6 weeks for some part to arrive from Italy. Hopefully it won't be a critical part that keeps you off the road. (that reminds me, I have had some side stand bolts on order for quite awhile, should check on those...).

'09 Multistrada 1100s

Last edited by dspear99ca; Aug 19th, 2019 at 4:10 pm.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 4:45 pm Thread Starter

thanks... found out off road capability meant nothing after the KTM fiasco!!! that's what my 520 exc is for!!

at the rate I ride... 15,000 mile service will be... well... I'll be too old to ride!!!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 7:15 pm

Good choice keeping the connie. Wish you all the best with the multi. I sold mine and bought a connie. Loved the ducati, but just couldnt stand it sitting in the shop. Feel free to PM me with any questions/comparisons.
Surferdoc likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 10:26 pm

I just sold my 2008 C14 this year, I bought that in August of last year and put 3500 miles on it. it was too top heavy for my 5'7'' and 32 inseam. I bought the MTS 1200 in August 3rd and have since tallyed up 2400 miles and added a Tuneboy tune and cruise control. LOVE the bike.......I still have my -99 ZRX1100. I have an electronic service manual and is educating myself to do the Desmo services myself. I already do all the valve adjustments on the ZRX1100 and such. The MTS1200 is so flickable.......and the power is ridiculous. BUT it is not an inline 4 smooth at low range.......but once over 4k rpm's there is no worries.

2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Grandturismo,-99 ZRX1100
Norwegian Ducatista living in the US.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 8:20 am

Garage
I have a 2013 MTS GT. It has been awesome.

Recalls:
I think there was a throttle housing recall and wire re-routing for a accelerometer on the swing arm

I'll done the full term, up-map, and +1 rear sprocket when I needed to replace the chain. These mods smooth out low end, and put 6th gear at a reasonable speed.

Only issue I've had is that the bike eats fuel sensors. Reset your mileage when you gas up.

I do my own service and will warn that the fasteners that are molded into the plastic tank can be stubborn and cause issues, but that is a problem for another day. Enjoy your bike.

t_bare

1 Ducati = Ducatista
2 Ducatis = Mechanic

2013 Multistrada GT Touring Grey
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s
2002 Ducati 998 Faster Banana!!!
2000 KTM 300 EXC
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 8:53 am

I started looking at the Multi in 2014 but didn't buy or even ride one until this past June. Picked up a 2018 new that the dealer had never even prepped, had zero miles on it when we did the paperwork and 6 when I rode away.

Love this bike.

I'm in TN so the next time y'all come down and rent a cottage shoot mea PM and maybe I can catch up for a ride.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 9:54 am

30,000km on my 15 1200S DVT and no issues and no sitting at the shop. I had mostly sportbikes and then a Victory Magnum (bagger) for 3yrs before selling it mostly because of another trip to TN/Carolina's (realized I missed some sportiness butt still wanted to be comfy).
I shopped everything including the Connie but couldn't fall in love with the look of it. The Duc has loads of personality and like personality you'll either love it or hate it which won't take long to decide.

2016 Multistrada 1200S Touring
2018 KTM 300XC
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 11:39 am

Garage
I recently purchased a Yamaha MT09, and was shocked to discover that the service interval on it is more than twice as frequent as my Multistrada (4000m vs. 9000mi). Sure, the Ducati service is a bit more expensive, but not radically so. The valve service on each is usually somewhere between 1000-1500 dollars, though the Yamaha goes half again as far (18k vs. 26k miles) before the service is necessary.

Haven't owned the Yamaha long enough to know for certain, but my guess is if I rode them an equal amount and had all service performed at the dealer, the Yamaha would be slightly more expensive to maintain. Once you start replacing worn out parts, though, the Ducati runs into the lead at a full sprint. No getting around it, Ducati parts are very, very expensive.

I think Ducati's reputation of being an unusually expensive bike to own is hard to justify at this point.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 12:34 pm

A life of misery.

Failure is not an option 1995 Duc 916,1994 Bim DB2,1986 Duc MHR Mille, 1974 Duc 750 Sport, 1965 Duc Monza
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode