New owner, what to expect - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 6:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXSPwr View Post
I think Ducati's reputation of being an unusually expensive bike to own is hard to justify at this point.
While this certainly can be the case, this is a legacy reputation and is a bit undeserved, perpetrated by the "yard stick built", prehistoric bevel drives and their various and numerous foibles. Ducati just hasn't been able to live them down.

The newer bikes, especially the 2-valve models, are very easy to live with and require little more than a bike built by the other manufacturers, other than maybe the cam belt changes, which is an easy job.

Check out the procedures and tools needed for the 8-hr job required to adj the valves on a VTEC Honda. And, have you seen Triumph's parts prices these days? All bikes are expensive, both service and parts.

Failure is not an option 1995 Duc 916,1994 Bim DB2,1986 Duc MHR Mille, 1974 Duc 750 Sport, 1965 Duc Monza
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 8:02 pm
Bon Vivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthong View Post
Hello All

well after about 9 years I have finally(against my better judgement) given up and bought a new to me 2014 multistrada S touring

2400 miles on it

I have spent 9 years "wanting" this bike and have , instead, bought 2 different Kawasaki 1400 Concourse, 2 different triumph tigers 955 and 1050... all of them absolutely wonderful ZERO MAINTENENCE bikes.

also bought a 950 KTM adventure and an 09 1200 BMW 1200 GS.... nice bikes, but rode them once each and sold

I ride twice a year... in tennesse/north carolina... my buddies and I trailer down from Michigan , rent those cottages on the side of a mountain... and ride from there for a week in spring and a week in fall

The Ducati has always "called to me"... but I "know" owning one is like dating a crazy bitch stripper... seems like a good idea... but is not.

so I did it this week....

2400 miles... what could go wrong? If it was a Kawasaki... well... nothing....

so...

I'll call the local dealer to check on recalls? what recalls have there been?

what are the next few things that are likely to send me scurrying to my facebook and craigslsist account to post for sale

Have made up my mind I am NOT selling that concours until after I have ridden this Ducati... in fact if there is room on the trailer... I'll take the Kaw with me on the next trip.

I am hoping this Ducati.. like some things in life... is not something I should have just rented to get out of my system...

so... what do I expect/look for etc please

Thank you all

First of all NO bike is ZERO maintenance. A bike may have little or no problems over its life but every bike needs an oil change, tires, brakes, valves adjusted, etc at regular intervals.

And if your idea of fun is hustling a bloated behemoth 1400 Coni down the dragon I'm not sure that anything we say can help you out. That sounds like work to me. The multistrada is a much lighter bike but it still isnt exactly nimble when it comes to ripping up one of the tightest roads in the US.

Also, try to remember that this isnt a big slug type of twin and despite what others may say it doesnt like to lug and it doesnt make good power below about 3500 RPM. Keep the revs above 4K for instant power and above 3500 for normal cruising, riding it for any length of time below 3K isnt doing the engine any good and frankly isnt much fun IMO.

Your worries about reliability are unfounded but I do know guys that can find something to complain about with anything. I have 45K on my Multi and it has never let me down (of course I do the maintenance).

I remember a guy here that bought a new Multi and he was posting about all the problems he was having with it - turns out he was bitching about cable ties and mirror adjustments or some other such nonsense.

The bottom line is if you want to find problems, you expect them and you go looking for them - You'll probably find them. For me, The Mulitstrada has been the best all-around bike I've ever owned.

Just so you know, I have a 2018 Kawasaki Z900RS that has given me more problems than ANY Ducati I've owned, and it continues to have the worst throttle snatch I've ever experienced. ( I'm about ready to dump it, if it wasnt so damn pretty I would have already done it.)

Here's a pic of my wife and I scooten down the dragon on our Multi last year:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	701.4 KB
ID:	951785  
harun and Wolverine1 like this.

Vintagedesmo.com

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 8:22 pm
Bon Vivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by casor View Post
While this certainly can be the case, this is a legacy reputation and is a bit undeserved, perpetrated by the "yard stick built", prehistoric bevel drives and their various and numerous foibles. Ducati just hasn't been able to live them down.

Casor I'm not buying this crap, Bevel Ducs were pretty damn reliable for their time and frankly I'm not aware of any foible that needs fixing on the old bevels - as long as they are taken care of the dang things start easy and just run, and they dont leak all over the place like the brit bikes of the day. Have you ever noticed how many mods there are for commandos? Check out Colorado Norton works for loads of fixes for the foibles of that turd. I dunno, after 3 vintage brit bikes I'll take a bevel drive duc any day. And hey, if you decide you want to sell that foible-ridden 74 Sport I'll help you out and take it off your hands

OK, but some of the bikes from the 80's were pretty iffy. I blame Pasos and Pantahs for the bad reputation
bbradsby likes this.

Vintagedesmo.com

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 11:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbulldog View Post
Casor I'm not buying this crap, Bevel Ducs were pretty damn reliable for their time and frankly I'm not aware of any foible that needs fixing on the old bevels - as long as they are taken care of the dang things start easy and just run, and they dont leak all over the place like the brit bikes of the day. Have you ever noticed how many mods there are for commandos? Check out Colorado Norton works for loads of fixes for the foibles of that turd. I dunno, after 3 vintage brit bikes I'll take a bevel drive duc any day. And hey, if you decide you want to sell that foible-ridden 74 Sport I'll help you out and take it off your hands

OK, but some of the bikes from the 80's were pretty iffy. I blame Pasos and Pantahs for the bad reputation
Ha, ha, no I agree with you mostly, the engines and the running gear on the bevels are pretty good if they are set up properly. Both my Sport and a GT that I just sold to a friend had wacky electrical things going on yrs ago- the Sport's was solved by replacing the fuse panel with a modern one while the GT needed the ignition switch connectors redone. The GT would quit and the Sport, after riding it for a few hours and attempting a restart, would go dark. On both, a little jiggle here and there would wake them up! But no more! Both bikes start first kick.

My Mille needed an entire re-wire of the starting circuit and ground with heavier, million strand wire to get enough v's to the starter. Much better now, but bad back in the day.

Perhaps you're right on where the blame should be.

Now, since you mentioned it, let's talk about my Norton......
flynbulldog likes this.

Failure is not an option 1995 Duc 916,1994 Bim DB2,1986 Duc MHR Mille, 1974 Duc 750 Sport, 1965 Duc Monza
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2019, 12:12 am

There is no such thing as a zero maintenance bike, if you use it you will have to expect to maintain it, things wear out and i don't give a shit what brand is on it the oil and filter still need changing, chain and sprockets wear out etc.

If that is your expectation you should just rent a bike and return it, that truly is zero maintenance, although not cost effective....

I have no idea on what it costs to service a japanese bike, or a triumph, but i'm fairly certain chains, tyres, sprockets, filters etc are all very similar in price, the desmo service interval is fairly long these days and if yours is a belt model it should be 5 year interval on those as well. The main difference in cost comes down to the cost of belts and the desmo valve adjustment/check which if done by a dealer can be a significant cost but i doubt if the other type of bike is serviced on time and properly there would be much in it. Certainly not too much higher compared to the enjoyment of riding it brings.

Of course none of that means anything if you have no intention of paying to maintain a machine that can kill you if it fails.... better sell it now and buy one of those maintenance free UJM's.......
flynbulldog and harun like this.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2019, 10:23 pm

Garage
So I read this thread and can relate. I too lusted after the Multi for years, never thinking I could/would pull the trigger on one. I sat on a 1st gen model years ago and fell in love with the ergo's but the cyclops front turned me off. The 2010 really spoke to me. 2016 I found a good deal and decided to do it. I kept my beloved Superhawk (and still have it), but it hardly ever gets ridden. I had all the apprehension you express. This is my first Ducati.

Fast forward about 18k miles, I LOVE this motorcycle. It has been reliable to me save for a fuel sensor. Belts/valve service isn't exactly cheap, but not hateful. Absolutely worth every cent paid. I can only speak for my experience but I would definitely advise to scratch the itch. It just might lead to a lasting love affair!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1683415.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	4.69 MB
ID:	951839   Click image for larger version

Name:	046.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	951841  
harun likes this.

'10 MTS1200 S
'00 VTR1000f
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2019, 10:29 pm

RE; the Multistrada ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisnet55 View Post
Welcome aboard. Youíre gonna love it. Just got mine last week. Itís like a kinky wife thatís into threesomes .

1996 900CR.
Never quit, die falling forward.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2019, 10:30 am

Garage
Like you, I've had a ton of bikes, maybe 40 or so (since 1964!). I also had a 990 Adventure before the Duc - when I lived in the mountains.

I bought this 2010 MS "S, Touring" used and without having ever seen one in person, much less having ever ridden one. I got a great deal and it only had 2,500 miles on it. I had it shipped to me from a dealer 1/2 way across the country (I was working as a salesman for a HD/Honda dealer at the time). It was Dec and I had to drool over it for a couple of months before I got to ride it.

I thought I would ride it awhile and sell it in 6 months or so. I guess I bought it mostly so I could say that I once owned a Ducati!

That was 5 years ago! I just turned over 35,000 miles (had 2 years I couldn't ride due to hip replacement and back surgery). And I'm planning on another 3,000 mile trip next month.

I do my own maintenance and mods (Tuneboy w/cruise, exhaust, head work, etc.) which saves me a lot on the maintenance. Even so the closest dealer has been great about warranty work and free advise.

Right now the only bike I would consider replacing the MS with would be another one. I absolutely love it.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
harun likes this.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how big of a hole you make.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2019, 12:27 pm

About a year ago my wife (then girlfriend) walked into a Duc shop in Reno NV. She always wanted to ride with me, but my 1199 Panegale wasn’t conducive to two up riding. I suggested she sit on the multi and see if that would work for us.
I bought the bike and rode it home. We where planning on a week in Aspen 2 days later. I mentioned that we COULD ride the bike. She says “ok”
My serious riding gear was at my race shop 190 miles away. I jumped on the New Multi with 6 miles on it and did the 380 mile round trip to grab my riding gear and some extras. The next morning we went to Cycle gear and set her up with new riding gear. I took the suitcase she had packed for Aspen and dumped it out. We economized our packing, loaded the bike and took off for Aspen, 1000 miles away. New bike, new rider, what could go wrong?
I made short stops for food and gas, about every 50 miles. I slowed down at every train station, airport, bus stop, taxi stand for miles. She kept saying “ I’m fine. Let’s keep going” we stopped the first night in Utah and I had the bike serviced at Harrison Eurosport ( great people)
The next morning we continued to Aspen. All or a sudden she wants to stop. I pull into a rest stop wondering what’s wrong. She says “I got a bug on my face shield” a bug? We got a bug. She will never live it down, but in just over 2000 miles in a week she NEVER complained and we had ZERO issues with the bike.
We continue to ride the snot outta the bike. My last ride was 1300 miles in February, in rain and snow, temps as low as 29 degrees from CA to MT. Wild ride, but again I had zero issues with the bike.
I love the Multi 1200 S Touring, handles great, silly fast, comfortable. My only wish is to find a bit more comfortable seat, taller in the front, keep me from sliding forward as much.
Have fun.
harun and littlebob like this.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2019, 2:13 am

Garage
I own my Pike Peaks 2013 since a month.I already rode around 3000 km.It looks great bike.Only issue I' ve, it heats too much.Temperature from engine to my butt kills me.I hope I got used to it by time
littlebob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode