Sounds like it's not going to start...then does - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 4:45 pm Thread Starter

Arrow Sounds like it's not going to start...then does

So I'm new to Ducati and my MS (500 mi) plus another 400 mi on a demo '18. I'm not new to riding...average 35 yrs exp. And I'm not new to big twins...had a RC51 when they first came out.

Every time I hit the starter button I swear it's not going to start. There's a pause, a long chug, another chug, and then "It's Alive!!!". << [Name the movie for bonus points that you can't spend anywhere for anything].

The behavior is the same on my new one and the '18 demo. I presume it's normal for the model. But does anyone else have that ugly feeling in the back of your brain that she's not gonna start. Thoughts on how to get used to it? What's the real story on when the battery is about to go iti's [reverse the i's and the t's] up? I typically have my bikes on tenders throughout the year, so she's topped off.

Thanks
John

2019 Ducati Multistrada S Touring
2014 BMW S1000RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 5:10 pm

Check batt cables. I'd start with the ground cable and it's connections.

On the other hand, my stepdad and I had matching 1985 Harley FXRs, both brand new. Both bikes would do pretty much the same thing you've described, but they ALWAYS started up.

Then again, I have worked on a metric shit ton of motorhome auxiliary power generators. Many (many!) of them presented precisely the same symptoms you've described. The cure was to connect a heavier ground cable to the actual frame of the motorhome rather than where the dealer connected the generator's ground cable terminal, which was often times in a spot that was about the worst place to obtain an actual DC Negative "ground". So, we would make up heavier ground cables using welding cable, and connect the chassis end to the motorhome's vehicle frame, after buffing the paint from the frame to bare metal where the terminal connected to the chassis. Made certain to NOT place a lock washer between the ground cable's terminal and the bare surface of the frame so the terminal made optimal contact with the chassis. Worked every single time.

So ... there is a whole bunch of nuthin for ya!

1996 900CR.
Never quit, die falling forward.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 5:15 pm

It's a Ducati thing. My MTS is my first Ducati as well and I felt the same as you and looked into it. Some people find adding upgraded (ie. thicker) battery cables helps a bit. Thing is, it always starts and after 2 months you never notice it again and it just becomes normal.

2016 Multistrada 1200S Touring
2018 KTM 300XC

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 5:30 pm
Prolific Poster Award

It's a big twin kinda thing.

Some with a bigger starter might spin a little sooner, but lots of them pause before they overcome the compression of the first cylinder.

A 1400 Intruder has an electronic compression release, it always pauses when you hit the starter button, then an electric click, and it spins right up. They get to use a smaller starter that way.

'95 M900, '87 750 F1b, '95 GL1500, '06 620/800 MiniStrada...
Running on coffee and sarcasm...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 5:42 pm

My Monster does not pause and chug, but it does sound like it turns over quite slow.
But it starts every time within a second or so, no extended cranking needed.
It's different from every other bike I've had including the 1st and 2nd gen Tuono V twins.
They all turned over faster, at least by the sound. I got used to it.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 6:22 pm

Put ze candle back !

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
suruppak and Rex Coil 7 like this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Garage
Same first impression with my Multi. I was sure there was something wrong, but dealer assured me it was normal. Nothing like my Sport 1000, or KTM 990. Both blast to life with touch of the button!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 10:06 pm

It's normal. My Multi take about two seconds of slow starter motor turning to fire up from cold. I initially thought it was a weak battery. A little faster to fire up when warm. Much different than all my other bikes.

'16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Touring - '04 Honda ST1300A - '06 Suzuki Vstrom 1000
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 10:18 pm

And it's not a "big twin thing". My 1700cc Victory and HD as well as my buds KTM 1190 turned over faster than my Ducati and never gave me the impression anything was wrong.
OP, the Ducati turns over slower than other big twins and makes it seem like battery is toast. It's a Ducati thing

2016 Multistrada 1200S Touring
2018 KTM 300XC
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 10:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieq View Post
Put ze candle back !

... walk this way ....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LIIIFE.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	951225  

1996 900CR.
Never quit, die falling forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode