Multistrada vs S1000XR - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 9:48 am Thread Starter

Multistrada vs S1000XR

I havent been in the bike world for a while. Most of my riding days was strictly track Rode street initially but quickly ended in the track.
Fast forward a little; wife, kid, house, priorities and busy schedule. No more riding, been 4 years. Tried off road enduro and not really a fan.

Anyways I came to understand that no matter what I ride I feel the need to have something that could offer me the benefits of a sports bike, not necessarily the top speed, but the torque and handling and just the fun of having that power when an occasional power wheelie out of a turn is necessary. Yes a bit of a hooligan, cant help it.

Reason why im looking at an adventure bike vs a sport bike is because I have a group of friends that does adventure riding (mostly asphalt) in mountains and want something comfortable to drive the distance. Im also no longer a speed demon but still wish to have that occasional burst of thrill/power.

So with that being said, I am deeply in love with the looks of the multistrada but keep reading reviews and comparisons of the S1000xr being better suited for what im looking for. However the s1000xr imo is hideous, the front looks like a woman with 60 botox injections on her lips.
Will the Multi be able to offer enough performances that im looking for, could it be that all the power and handling the XR has over the multi are not all that needed?
I could test drive one which I plan to do, but I was also hoping to hear someones opinion that has ridden or owned both without being biased towards one or the other.

Ive owned one ducati (hypermotard) and one BMW (S1000RR). I kinda hated both to be honest. Only reason I am considering these brands again is because my reason for riding are different now and ive read both brands have improved in the areas where I noticed flaws. So as it is im skeptical to begin with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 10:33 am

What is an S1000xr? A brand name would be helpful.

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ...Go, Blow, Or Put A Hole In The Fence.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 10:36 am

What? Itís the BMW competition for the Multistrada.

-- '16 Multi S

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 10:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkrind View Post
What? Itís the BMW competition for the Multistrada.
Hmmm ... I took a look. There is one HELL of a lot of electronic/digital complexity going on with it ... actually with either the Ducati or the BMW. What gets my attention is how many electronic issues are fielded in this forum every week regarding failures and/or glitches in the Multistrada. That BMW seems like it sure has a LOT of buttons, switches, jingles and jangles. The more complex the machine, the greater the likelihood of a failure (or many failures).

I fully understand the appeal of these bikes for some folks. I do, I really get it. But with all of the troubles computer operated motorcycles have, those types of bikes contradict the whole point of owning a bike. Of course, that is my point of view. There are obviously enough people that feel differently than I do or there would not be such a great deal of supply of that type of motorcycle (re; supply and demand). I realize I belong to an ever-shrinking group of outliers that prefer stone-simple motorcycles.

But still, look at all of them buttons on that BMW!!!! Holy Radioactive Coyotes, Batman! Makes me glad I'm not a bike mechanic working in a BMW (or Ducati for that matter) dealership. Oh, the headaches of those troubleshooting nightmares!

hubduc and MattB like this.

post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 11:12 am

Garage
@krisnet55
I have not ridden the XR therefore would never comment on that note.
Notwithstanding, I have ridden many different Multitrada's.
One this note, there's a world of difference in handling between the 1260 Pikes Peak edition and the rest of the Multistrada's.
I'm very close to saying that's they're not the same bikes.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak All purpose fun
2016 Monster 1200 R Rambunctious fun
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 11:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
@krisnet55
I have not ridden the XR therefore would never comment on that note.
Notwithstanding, I have ridden many different Multitrada's.
One this note, there's a world of difference in handling between the 1260 Pikes Peak edition and the rest of the Multistrada's.
I'm very close to saying that's they're not the same bikes.
What might that be due to? Are the suspension systems just set up differently (improved shock/forks)? Or are the frames' dimensions and weight distribution that different from one another?

post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 11:25 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
What might that be due to? Are the suspension systems just set up differently (improved shock/forks)? Or are the frames' dimensions and weight distribution that different from one another?

Ohlins suspension fore and aft. Lighter forged wheels.
Moreover, in my case i have switched the heavy lead acid battery for a Lithium with a weight savings of about 8 lbs.
That may not seem like a lot but considering that it's located right at the top of the bike, you'll feel the difference going side to side.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak All purpose fun
2016 Monster 1200 R Rambunctious fun

Last edited by DarR; Aug 17th, 2019 at 11:31 am.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 11:34 am

There have been a lot of posts/articles/discussions that revolve around BMW vs. Ducati. The pros of owning a BMW are: German engineering and reliability. They do what they're supposed to do, they rarely break down, they're not terribly flashy and you don't hear about a lot of folks customizing their BMW or popping power wheelies at stop lights. When the S1000RR hit the streets BMW showed it could do with sport bikes what it had been doing with touring bikes for decades. The single cylinder GS bikes owned the adventure/rally/dual sport world before it was a thing. The pros of the Duc are somewhat tough to describe: sure, the handling and power are there, but it's more than that... it's a feeling that V-twin sound gives you when you twist WOT and the front lifts up. It's the sexy Italian look. Historically BMW has sunk more $$ into development and refinement of their bikes which means less glitches, recalls, general f#ckups for buyers. However, Ducati has come around and their technology is right up there with the Germans. Reliability? Well, I'll give that one to BMW but not by a longshot like it used to be. Both bikes are chock full of electronic rider aids, wheelie control, traction control, ABS, cornering ABS, rider modes, electronically adjustable suspension, etc. YMMV, it comes down to personal preference... which bike makes you feel like da' boss? I own a multi and love it. My background is filled with all sportbikes but I turned 50 last year and my back and neck and forearms were tired of the crouch and I finally have enough time to do some longer riding trips. The multi is supremely comfy on long rides, the ergos will feel weird for the first season or so... those pegs are just way too far forward and you feel awkward trying to hang off the bike in any way but it comes with time and the bikes will lean and grip. I'd suggest riding both bikes, do a few test rides in varying conditions and see what your senses tell you about each bike.
flynbulldog likes this.

'09 Multistrada 1100s
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 12:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
Ohlins suspension fore and aft. Lighter forged wheels.
Moreover, in my case i have switched the heavy lead acid battery for a Lithium with a weight savings of about 8 lbs.
That may not seem like a lot but considering that it's located right at the top of the bike, you'll feel the difference going side to side.
Yea, they're a nice improvement. In my case I saved 10.5 pounds going to an Anti Gravity L-Ion battery over the lead/acid lump that the bike had in it when I bought it. As you mentioned, that weight is very high, it ends up at about 1.25 gallons of gasoline worth of weight in the tank. Will hold a charge for about two years as well.

post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 1:22 pm

I went from an 04 gsxr1000 to a 2010 multistrada. The power and torque is good but I miss the smoothness and top end power of the inline 4. I hit the rev limiter way too much on this with out even realizing itís coming. Handling can be tight and good but suspension can be changed from the electronics to be soft and plush.

Depending on your engine preferences you may like one based on that alone.

Maybe should wait for the v4 multistrada if you have that kind of cash to spend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode