Multistrada vs S1000XR - Page 6 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2019, 7:55 pm

Oh yea, Esoteric, I'm the same size as you. I will likely pull the trigger this week, might have some suspension questions. Thanks for the sprocket recommendation.
esoteric likes this.

Dave C. Bay Area, California ..Prior Multistrada owner, BMW XR 2016 current, GSXR 1000 for the track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2019, 10:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbirdride View Post
No slop on the timing chain on the XR, it actually runs great.
I think thatís how these brands are. I have friends with BMWís that have a bunch of problems and others that bike after bike are super reliable. Same with Ducati.

Panigale 1199, Multistrada DVT 1200S, Grom, ZB50, wife has:Vespa Primavera 155, RykerRally
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2019, 12:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3B43 View Post
Seven years ago, I was debating buying a MTS. I foraged this site for months, reading the plethora of 'issues' that came with inviting a Ducati into your life. I posted my concerns and a minority posted back, saying the 'net only gets negative posts, regardless of brand.....hardly ever does someone rave about their bike. So, I took the plunge and on Sept 1 picked up my '12 MTS.

Zoom forward to now. I'm leaving tomorrow for a two week/5000 mile ride (solo....always solo) heading to Deadwood SD, via the 'long cut', NE Oregon to Libby/Glacier to Yellowstone then Beartooth!!!! and Cody/northern Wyoming and onto SD. My point is my bike odometer reads 97,657 (miles) and is the best, most gratifying bike I've ever ridden. Yes, I've ridden the XR....ZERO interest, for a variety of reasons. The 1290 SD GT doesn't do it, so what's left? Another MTS! Problens? Grip heaters quit at 30,000....gear shift return spring broke at 66,000.....and the fuel gauge quit and replacing it with the latest one did nothing.

So, after I return, I'll ponder the possibilty of a new one.....

WOW! That’s a lot of miles and I too can relate. Picked up my 18 Multi PP in mid May and I have 16K on her already. While I’m not on pace to what you have, I can’t get enough of her, I think I’m in love, lol. Every chance I have I’m off and riding solo as well. Not that I’m against riding with others it just suits my schedule better.

post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2019, 8:16 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisnet55 View Post
Quick question while im here.

And which would be a good dealer to deal with in the East coast? No more than 400 miles away from NYC.
DucPond Motorsports (Ducati Winchester) in Winchester VA is pretty good, but I'm biased, I work there. Donnie Unger is our Owner/Master Technician. We're a Ducati only shop but we work on other things as well. Look us up and form your own opinion if you'd like. We may be a little far for you.

I cant tell you whats coming in 2020 but I am excited for the end of October when Ducati is supposed to officially announce their plans!
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2019, 11:56 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
What is an S1000xr? A brand name would be helpful.
the S1000xr is what happened when someone said to a BMW Engineer "Hey I really like the Ducati Multistrada... but it's a little ugly"... and to that he said "You think that's ugly - hold my beer" (but it was a trick ask... the beer was already empty). Then a KTM guy jumped in and said "you think that XR is ugly - I'm going one up and making it HUGE as well as ugly... and ORANGE!".

and it went downhill from there - even the Brits jumped in with "Well Big and Ugly have been done so we'll make ours so top heavy you'll be afraid to lean it more than 3 degrees from vertical".
esoteric and mr.wesg like this.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2019, 1:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
the S1000xr is what happened when someone said to a BMW Engineer "Hey I really like the Ducati Multistrada... but it's a little ugly"... and to that he said "You think that's ugly - hold my beer" (but it was a trick ask... the beer was already empty). Then a KTM guy jumped in and said "you think that XR is ugly - I'm going one up and making it HUGE as well as ugly... and ORANGE!".

and it went downhill from there - even the Brits jumped in with "Well Big and Ugly have been done so we'll make ours so top heavy you'll be afraid to lean it more than 3 degrees from vertical".
I really donít see the ugly in the multi. I get the bird beak but itís still sexy as hell. The KTM is like a guy with an ax did it. And the Beemer is hideous, front and rear.
esoteric and Sco like this.
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2019, 4:13 pm

Garage
Quote:
I really donít see the ugly in the multi. I get the bird beak but itís still sexy as hell. The KTM is like a guy with an ax did it. And the Beemer is hideous, front and rear.
I agree... but sadly our bikes get compared with Pani's and 996's... they're like the pretty hot sister of a bunch of supermodels - if only the rest of the family weren't so damned pretty.
krisnet55, Sco and MattB like this.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2019, 5:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
I agree... but sadly our bikes get compared with Pani's and 996's... they're like the pretty hot sister of a bunch of supermodels - if only the rest of the family weren't so damned pretty.
Well obviously if compared to the pains itís not all that. But compared to any sports tourer there is no comparisons.
Iím not really a die hard ducati guy, although my multi may change that. With that being said Iíve always wondered how come ducati make such nice mater pieces and the other canít. Iíve mostly been a Yamaha guy and always wondered wtf canít yamaha make something similar. Lol
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Quote:
Ive owned one ducati (hypermotard) and one BMW (S1000RR). I kinda hated both to be honest. Only reason I am considering these brands again is because my reason for riding are different now and ive read both brands have improved in the areas where I noticed flaws. So as it is im skeptical to begin with.
I've never ridden the Hypermotard to make comparisons between it and the Multi, but I did demo an XR the year that it premiered. Based on what you claim to be looking for, I think that either bike would be great. Personally, the Multi is my FIRST Ducati and I find myself loving the torque, it gives the bike different personality then simply being another inline 4. That said, if speed is your main concern, if you keep that XR on the boil it will give you all that you wish for.

It's a Ducati site and I'm to say Multi... and frankly I will. The buzz in the XR bars is a complete turn off for me, and like I said, I love the character of the Ducati twin and the grin inducing power wheelies.
post #60 of 59 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
It's a Ducati site and I'm to say Multi... and frankly I will. The buzz in the XR bars is a complete turn off for me, and like I said, I love the character of the Ducati twin and the grin inducing power wheelies.
The problem I have with the XR is that I don't see much of a use case for it where I wouldn't go with the excellent (and much nicer looking) S1000R (or Tuono). It's a fun bike to ride hard, it's not really great for touring... it seems like it's a tall supernaked and I'm not so tall I need a tall supernaked.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode