Removing the rear wheel on a 2015 Multistrada - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2019, 2:27 pm Thread Starter

Removing the rear wheel on a 2015 Multistrada

Well, it seems my rear tire has a tiny piece of wire in it. It's completely flat. I just ordered a new tire, and found a bike shop 40 stinking miles away that will mount and balance the wheel for $40

I'm working out of town, so I don't have most of my tools, but I'm going to need to get the rear wheel off, and put back on myself.

Can anyone give me an idea of what tools I will need?

I'm assuming just a torque wrench and a large socket? Does anyone know what size socket I will need?

I'm guessing I can do all of this with it on the centerstand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Yes, you can do in on the center stand, but I recommend attaching something heavy to the bars via a strap to lessen the chance of tipping backward.

You'll need to remove the heat shield and the slip on, then you'll just need to undo the 55mm nut. I have heard but can't confirm that a standard 55mm socket doesn't fit as well as one of the purpose made sockets. I have one like this: Amazon link.

Consider having an impact wrench available. I took my bike to a local shop and they claimed they bent a breaker bar trying to get that nut off. It's a bastard.

230nm for tightening.

Last time I went to all that trouble it was hardly anything else to just mount the tire myself. Got a pair of those long Motion Pro steel tire irons that interlock to make a bead breaker and it was pretty straightforward. Balanced the whole deal on a couple of jackstands using the adapter that Marc Parnes makes.
batman137 likes this.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2019, 3:24 pm

Garage
I did this last month and totally agree with all of the above. There are a couple of Youtube videos also.

I broke a torque wrench and a breaker bar. Only got it off with an air-driven impact wrench.

1965 250 Fuller-Custom Scrambler; 1998 916 SPS; 2002 MH900e; 2006 Paul Smart 1000 LE; 2011 Diavel Carbon; 2013 Multistrada GT; 2016 Scrambler UE

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2019, 4:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_2The_L View Post
I did this last month and totally agree with all of the above. There are a couple of Youtube videos also.

I broke a torque wrench and a breaker bar. Only got it off with an air-driven impact wrench.
Yikes!

I don't have jack stands.

I watched the videos. If I was at home, I would order what I need and just to it myself, but for $40, I won't hesitate to let someone else do it for me while on the road.

I'll try to rent a breaker bar and a large socket set from Oreillys. I have all the stuff I need at home. Don't want to buy the same tools twice.

I saw somewhere that a torque wrench wasn't necessary since you have to get the safety pin in anyway. You're either lined up on the hole or you aren't? I'll rent one anyway.

Any grease that I will need? Someone somewhere was talking about grease on the nut somewhere?
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman137 View Post

I don't have jack stands.

I watched the videos. If I was at home, I would order what I need and just to it myself, but for $40, I won't hesitate to let someone else do it for me while on the road.

I'll try to rent a breaker bar and a large socket set from Oreillys. I have all the stuff I need at home. Don't want to buy the same tools twice.

I saw somewhere that a torque wrench wasn't necessary since you have to get the safety pin in anyway. You're either lined up on the hole or you aren't? I'll rent one anyway.

Any grease that I will need? Someone somewhere was talking about grease on the nut somewhere?
I zipped right over the part about being out of town. I get that you don't want to buy a full set of tools in that situation. For others that might read this, my advice still stands though. I think it was maybe around $200 to buy everything I need to mount and balance tires. Doesn't take long to come out ahead with the tire markup and fees I've found most places charge.

I personally would not go without correctly torquing the nut. Yeah, the hole lines up, but it lines up a bunch of times in the process, from barely-on to about-to-strip-the-threads.

I need to look at my service manual for the specifics, 'cause yeah, you should apply a little grease in the process. I recall it's pretty obvious, in that you put a smear of fresh grease anywhere that looks like it still had grease on it when you took it apart.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2019, 5:24 pm

Plug the tire and ride to a dealer. Or just ride till you wear it out. Cheers
Tripod likes this.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2019, 5:35 pm

Garage
I have 2 sets of wheels and I can swap the rear one in under 10 mns without rushing

my tools :
- a rear stand or center stand
- the special socket
- impact gun (or a long breaker bar which didn't work for me as it almost broke)
- big torque wrench
- grease
- gloves

removing the rear wheel is very straight forward and there are tons of videos online to help you out. just choose if you wanna sweat buckets using a breaker bar or use the impact gun to remove the nut in less than 5seconds.

2016 MTS 1200s
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2019, 6:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
Plug the tire and ride to a dealer. Or just ride till you wear it out. Cheers
You know I plugged that MF'er!

Not about to be without my steed all weekend. I'll keep it under 55 though. Just cruising around locally.
Steve W. likes this.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2019, 6:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by efixe View Post
I have 2 sets of wheels and I can swap the rear one in under 10 mns without rushing

my tools :
- a rear stand or center stand
- the special socket
- impact gun (or a long breaker bar which didn't work for me as it almost broke)
- big torque wrench
- grease
- gloves

removing the rear wheel is very straight forward and there are tons of videos online to help you out. just choose if you wanna sweat buckets using a breaker bar or use the impact gun to remove the nut in less than 5seconds.
I hear you, but again, I am 7 hours from home. Not about to buy crap that I already own. I realize I should have brought some things with me, but ….in 21 years of riding, I've never actually had a tire go bad on me.

I have the original wheels for my S2R1000. I can swap those out on my 916 anytime (don't know if they'll fit on the multistrada or not), but....they aren't here anyway.
Glen likes this.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2019, 7:58 am

Seriously how are you guys breaking a breaker bar? I've worked on a lot of heavy equipment where an impact would was too weak but a breaker bar always worked, that's the point of the breaker bar, to break the nut loose and then drive it off with an impact.

And to the guy who broke a torque wrench!!!!!!!!! Were you using it to remove the nut? If so that's not the purpose of that tool.

If your breaking your bar on this nut then you have shitty tools, its really just that simple.
cs363 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in