calling all air-cooled multi owners - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By dspear99ca

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2019, 2:36 pm Thread Starter

calling all air-cooled multi owners

This weekend I had an unfortunate occurrance - the fairing panel which covers the battery on my black 2009 MTS 1100S flew off while I was driving down the freeway. I had recently replaced the dzus style pin that holds it on with a fine-looking yet inexpensive replacement from China which, unfortunately, I think was not up to snuff. I was able to turn around and go back, but was unable to find it... likely it's in a hundred pieces scattered over the roadway. I went back to that stretch of roadway at 5:00am yesterday morning so I could minimize the likelihood of being killed by traffic but couldn't locate it. I figured I'd just grab another one off of a salvage/reseller - I've replaced cracked panels before and if you're patient they come available. However, after talking to a few guys I've bought parts from, this panel is apparently "unobtainium"... apparently I'm not the only one to lose one in this way and they are just not available, period. I was told that you can't get them through Ducati any more, although Ducati Omaha does list the panel for a whopping $710.85 plus taxes and shipping.

So, what I'm considering is trying to make one on a 3D printer... I have no experience doing this but have read a bit over the past couple of days. All you need to "copy" an object is about 40 digital photos taken from all angles. These photos get fed into some (free) software (several different - all free - programs are required) and it generates a 3D model file which then goes to a 3D printer. I know I'll be missing some attachment points, but figure if I have some solid standoffs on the back of the panel I can drill them out and generally make it work. Whatever I do is likely to look a helluva lot better than the black anti-freeze jug I cut up last night and attached to keep dirt and weather off the battery & ECU.

I'm not in a huge hurry - realizing that it's the middle of riding season - but I am wondering if anyone would be willing to take the required pictures of their intact panel for me, now, later, over the winter, whatever. The way it was done in the tutorial I watched (which replicated a stuffed teddy bear) was that the item is stuck on top of a broom-handle sized dowel, then pictures are taken from all angles. If the panel was mounted on the dowel with the inner side facing up it would easily pick up all the attachment points. If it works I'd be happy to make a bunch of them and make them available - the bike just looks like crap without it - there was a time when I didn't mind the mix 'n match bike with missing and mis-colored panels but those days are behind me.

Thanks in advance, feel free to PM with me with any questions or other suggestions to replace this panel... maybe you have a spare in your garage that you never got around to selling when you got rid of your '04-'09 MTS...

'09 Multistrada 1100s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2019, 4:07 pm

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2019, 4:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddo View Post
Nope, every panel but the one I need... left lower.

'09 Multistrada 1100s

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2019, 6:03 pm

You might do well checking with airtech (they have made fiberglass parts for motorcycles for decades).

EDIT: However ... it appears their website is off line for whatever reasons. Odd, I was just there two days ago.

Pffft! ....

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ...Go, Blow, Or Put A Hole In The Fence.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2019, 6:17 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Wow....I may go out and put a second security cable on mine!

'95 M900, '87 750 F1b, '95 GL1500, '06 620/800 MiniStrada...
Running on coffee and sarcasm...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2019, 10:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukerdr View Post
Wow....I may go out and put a second security cable on mine!

Funny you say that, but another member here suggested I drill & zip-tie it while I was waiting for my replacement fastener, the one hand-forged in the Dolomites by real Italians, but I opted for a cheap-o Chinese replacement while I waited. Bad call on my part. I'd do a zip tie.
Dukerdr likes this.

'09 Multistrada 1100s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode