Swingarm Multistrada 1260 on Multistrada 1200? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2019, 2:16 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Swingarm Multistrada 1260 on Multistrada 1200?

I'm seriously thinking to replace the swingarm of my Multistrada 2017 with the longer one of the Multistrada 2018: I really want to have a more stable bike. I've tried all the adjustments of supensions, I've tried Pirelli Scorpio and Angel GT: I got some improvements, but I would like to improve more. After all, this is why Ducati made this change.
Does anybody know if the 2 swingarms are compatible?
I have checked the part numbers of all the involved parts; for what I see it is possible: besides the swingarm itself, I'll need to change a few other minor parts but the hub is the same (which makes sense).
So, before actually buying it, I was wondering if I am the first one trying this :-)

Multistrada 1200 S DVT
Aprilia RSV 1000 R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2019, 4:02 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffeRed View Post
I'm seriously thinking to replace the swingarm of my Multistrada 2017 with the longer one of the Multistrada 2018: I really want to have a more stable bike. I've tried all the adjustments of supensions, I've tried Pirelli Scorpio and Angel GT: I got some improvements, but I would like to improve more. After all, this is why Ducati made this change.
I have checked the part numbers of all the involved parts; for what I see it is possible: besides the swingarm itself, I'll need to change a few other minor parts but the hub is the same (which makes sense).
So, before actually buying it, I was wondering if I am the first one trying this :-)
If they are compatible I bet you can find someone willing to swap to get a more responsive bike... both riders win.
EffeRed likes this.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2019, 7:30 pm

Garage
@EffeRed
If you are going to that expense (not to forget workload and headaches), trade the bike for a 1260.
My personal opinion having ridden both extensively and owning the latter: it's not a big difference in terms of geometry.
However, the Ohlins suspension makes a noticeable improvement but lighter wheels really make the bike as nimble or better than the 1200 with top-speed stability of the 1260 geometry as a bonus.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak All purpose fun
2016 Monster 1200 R Rambunctious fun

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2019, 10:40 pm

Not sure what if any instability exist (2016 PP) on my particular bike. Been on fast supertight stuff (Del Pueblo rd and Mt Hamilton CA), including seriously uneven surface roads, with last second hard braking (more like oh-shit moments than professional racer stuff), fast sweepers 100mph, 2 lanes highway 50 to Lake Tahoe, and even some dirt fire roads. Ride local twisties a lot (Virginia City Higway) and have not experienced any stability related problems. In fact my Multi have been very forgiving and confidence inspiring the whole time, about 7,000 miles so far. Feels like a motard on steroids (albeit a 480lb motard) that gobble up whatever come next...
Ps the full Ohlins were dialed in, over a full track day, by Dave Moss.

davemosstuning.com

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
DarR likes this.

Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcome the fear of death.
Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by Team Gorgonzola; Aug 6th, 2019 at 10:58 pm.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2019, 8:24 am Thread Starter

Garage
@DarR :
I am thinking of buying a 1260: the thing is, for me it's fun to do some work on my bike. What I don't like is to start such a task without knowing if it can work...
Anyway, good to know that you don't see a big difference between the 2 bikes in terms of geometry.

Multistrada 1200 S DVT
Aprilia RSV 1000 R
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2019, 9:09 am

Garage
Absolutely, bikes are fun to work on.
Last bit on this as @Team Gorgonzola wrote, the Multi (regardless of vintage imho) has no instability issues whatsoever.
It's a dream to ride.
EffeRed likes this.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak All purpose fun
2016 Monster 1200 R Rambunctious fun
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2019, 9:48 am

Garage
I've ridden all varieties of 1200+ multis and 'stability' differences are very subtle (except the Enduro). On the track it might be noticeable (change in turn-in) but riding on the road I couldn't really feel a difference - I'd bet lightweight wheels make a bigger change to the feeling of 'throwability' than the longer wheelbase does - but even so it'd be a fun swap to try (if it's even possible). I really like how the 1200 multi feels very nimble for it's size (and bought lightweight wheels to try to dial it up a bit more), but I could see folks having preferences in the other direction.

Ducati don't seem particularly worried about stability being an issue anyway because they've not added steering dampening.

Where they ARE different is the feel of the suspension... between non-S, Sachs, Ohlins.
EffeRed likes this.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2019, 1:15 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffeRed View Post
I really want to have a more stable bike. I've tried all the adjustments of supensions, I've tried Pirelli Scorpio and Angel GT: I got some improvements, but I would like to improve more. After all, this is why Ducati made this change.
Yes, you're the first and probably the last. Huge hassle for marginal return. Unless you are an experienced suspension tuner with a whole day to test in a controlled environment (see Gorg's DM post), all those changes you made were loose guesswork.

Print out a worksheet with static and dynamic sag, get a couple friends to hold you upright and report back the numbers. How heavy are you? The MTS is undersprung for #200+ riders. I just had my forks rebuilt and that really exposed the rear's weakness.

If you've gone two years and 10K miles already, the forks need oil at least, and the rear shock could use a service depending on use. Hard use? Two years? Service time. Performance tails off so gradually riders neglect suspension maintenance.

Do a service, look around for some lighter wheels, and get your settings right for your weight plus gear. Forget the geometry, that's more for dedicated two-up stability re 1260. I've ridden both in different iterations.

I'm OK, you're OK
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2019, 3:19 pm Thread Starter

Garage
@Team Gorgonzola :
I really wish I could say the same about my bike...
I have been riding bikes for 31 years, I did lots of crazy things with many bikes. When I read posts like yours I really don't know what to think, I should be able to do the same! I tried several options, I even focused on my riding style to be more neutral on the handle bar (I come from a racing bike, which allows to be more aggressive of course).
I don't doubt that you, as many others, can have a lot of fun with this bike. For some reasons it's not working for me, maybe my riding still is still not ok.
But maybe I'm not the only one with this issue, otherwise Ducati wouldn't bother to increase the pitch of 50mm. So, I'm gonna give it a try!

Multistrada 1200 S DVT
Aprilia RSV 1000 R
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2019, 3:25 pm Thread Starter

Garage
@TallOne :
Actually I already changed the springs with stiffer ones, but it's a good idea to do more detailed analysis of the bike and measure all the parameters: so far I trusted the shop who changed the springs, you never know...

Multistrada 1200 S DVT
Aprilia RSV 1000 R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode