Swingarm Multistrada 1260 on Multistrada 1200? - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2019, 2:36 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Gorgonzola View Post
Maybe the suspension/tire brand and pressure, combination does not work for you. Been riding 2 up with the wife and luggage. The front felt lighter and leave the ground under heavy handed acceleration, and in general the bike felt softer and less responsive, especially on twisties, yet, handling was solid and predictable. I ride angel GT f35/r32
Actually, when I ride with my wife/luggage the bike is quite stable: the problem is when I have only the luggage. Do you have a similar experience?
PS: funny, I have almost same pressure as you, but reversed: lower on the front. I've seen that high pressure at front tire reduces stability, although now I'm curious to try it again.

Multistrada 1200 S DVT
Aprilia RSV 1000 R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2019, 5:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EffeRed View Post
Actually, when I ride with my wife/luggage the bike is quite stable: the problem is when I have only the luggage. Do you have a similar experience?

PS: funny, I have almost same pressure as you, but reversed: lower on the front. I've seen that high pressure at front tire reduces stability, although now I'm curious to try it again.
Nope, in fact, I was solo, with side bags, during a 413 miles on a trip to Monterrey, from Reno see map; and flogged the hell out of the PP. No probs whatsoever! Gotta be your suspension setting. An example of your bike instability?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcome the fear of death.
Hunter S. Thompson
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2019, 9:50 am

It sounds like your rear preload is probably set too high (or your front is too low) if it handles better with a passenger than without.

I'm assuming that you set the preload to 2 riders when you are riding 2 up, and 1 rider when you are riding alone? Go through the menu and see what the 2 rider preload is set for (1 - 24), and what preload the single rider is set up for (1-24).

I'm 210 lbs with gear and have measured the front and rear sag with just me on the bike, and then with my wife on the back. I ended up with a preload of 14 when I'm alone on the bike (33% of full travel sag), and a preload of 24 with my wife on the back (33% sag). In order to achieve a sag of approx 33% on the front, I had to crank the preload all the way in (clockwise), and then backed it out 3 turns.

Cheers!

2015 Multistrada S / FULL MIVV exhaust / Rexxer ECU flash

--
When life throws you a curve, lean into it and grab a handful on the way out!

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2019, 1:59 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
I admit that I become over-concerned anytime I see someone talking about moving things around on their motorcycle, especially a motorcycle that is to be operated on public roads where the stakes become FAR higher in the event of a problem.
I feel the same! Whenever I do changes on the bike I am very careful, it's so easy to mess it up....

If I bring this forward, for sure I will share the outcome!

Multistrada 1200 S DVT
Aprilia RSV 1000 R
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2019, 2:16 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Gorgonzola View Post
Nope, in fact, I was solo, with side bags, during a 413 miles on a trip to Monterrey, from Reno see map; and flogged the hell out of the PP. No probs whatsoever! Gotta be your suspension setting. An example of your bike instability?
It's something that happens only at speed higher than 100 mph: the faster the worse. And of course it gets worse with the load on the panniers and if I put the top case.
As soon as try to change direction, the bike starts waving: it's an oscillation that involves the front wheel but the rest of the bike follows.
It's not at high frequency like when you are leaning and give gas, and the front starts oscillating.
Depending on the conditions, up to a certain speed this can be controlled and after some time the bike is stable again. But if I'm too fast, or I have too much load, the oscillation tends to increase instead of reducing.

Multistrada 1200 S DVT
Aprilia RSV 1000 R
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2019, 2:26 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
It sounds like your rear preload is probably set too high (or your front is too low) if it handles better with a passenger than without.
I actually did some tests changing the preload. But after reading your post I'm having some doubts: I gonna do them again

Multistrada 1200 S DVT
Aprilia RSV 1000 R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode