2018 Multi has been in the shop for month...:( - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 6:40 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Omaha, NE, USA
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Well, my 2018 Multi 1260 S will be about a year old this August and with only 2 K miles on her, about 3 months ago, I started experiencing a very obvious cold start tapping/knocking issue that would go away when it warmed up. I finally decided to bring it to the dealer and they agreed it was not normal. They did some basic troubleshooting including removing the clutch components but no luck. Initially, Ducati said it was "normal" which was complete BS but after taking a good video and sending it to the mother ship, they finally authorized a tear down to see what's up. The dealer seems to think (and I agree) that either the piston, piston pin or cylinder is out of spec on the vertical cylinder. I will hopefully know whats up this week and I pray I get the dang thing back before the end of August, lol. Thankfully I have my Super Duke R to ride or I would be pretty pissed.....

Stay tuned.....
Sorry to hear about that! I have noticed something similar on my '16 1200 S when it is really cold out. Like a clacking or knocking sound until it warms up. Any chance you could post that video to compare notes?
jasona900 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2019, 8:23 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Munster, Indiana, United States
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasona900 View Post
Sorry to hear about that! I have noticed something similar on my '16 1200 S when it is really cold out. Like a clacking or knocking sound until it warms up. Any chance you could post that video to compare notes?
Dealer took the vid...I don't have it unfortunately. But this did start happening over the winter in colder weather as well.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal Labotamy!
CRFan1 is offline  
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2019, 5:21 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
These are the threads that get me thinking I don't want to buy another Ducati. Bummer.
tell me about it. I bought a new Diavel 1260S in May and it's been in the shop since early June. Ducati is refunding me this week in compliance with CA lemon law. Just signed the settlement.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should buy another Diavel 1260s or an MTS Pikes.

I'm a bit gun shy on buying any Ducati after this nightmare tough. Really not sure what to do....
jhblaze1 is offline  
 
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2019, 8:53 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Omaha, NE, USA
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Dealer took the vid...I don't have it unfortunately. But this did start happening over the winter in colder weather as well.
I see. I sure hope you get it a satisfactory resolution soon...and please keep us posted!
jasona900 is offline  
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2019, 11:12 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Munster, Indiana, United States
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasona900 View Post
I see. I sure hope you get it a satisfactory resolution soon...and please keep us posted!
I will for sure.....they are starting tear down today after Ducati wanted them to verify a few things like belt tensioners, etc. It is definitely something in the motor and I will be very curious what they find.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal Labotamy!
CRFan1 is offline  
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2019, 2:27 pm
Senior Member
 
TallOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: San Diego,, California,
Posts: 112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhblaze1 View Post
tell me about it. I bought a new Diavel 1260S in May and it's been in the shop since early June. Ducati is refunding me this week in compliance with CA lemon law. Just signed the settlement.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should buy another Diavel 1260s or an MTS Pikes.

I'm a bit gun shy on buying any Ducati after this nightmare tough. Really not sure what to do....
What went wrong? Similar stories are why I went with a nice used low mile bike from an enthusiast. That has it own set of headaches, but it leaves a lot of $$ on the table.

I'm OK, you're OK
TallOne is offline  
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2019, 4:58 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallOne View Post
What went wrong? Similar stories are why I went with a nice used low mile bike from an enthusiast. That has it own set of headaches, but it leaves a lot of $$ on the table.
It started leaking oil from the airbox vent tube around 400 miles. After 2 trips to the dealership, Ducati north america wanted to replace the cylinders, pistons, and rings. Basically a blow-by problem. But by the time the engine kit came in and the time it would take to do the work I was over 30 days out of service which is the cutoff for California lemon law. So I told them I want a new bike and they agreed to refund my purchase price with tax title reg etc.

They tried to convince me to take the bike back with the fix and offered an extended warranty but I declined. I paid top dollar for a brand new bike and didn't want it to turn into top dollar for a bike with a rebuilt engine.


I had a 2015 Diavel carbon that I loved but the damn key fob never worked and the gas gauge broke 5 times. I ended up just getting rid of it.

Really starting to wonder if Ducati is even remotely capable of producing a fully functioning motorcycle. Yet, I still want one......bc I'm stupid and don't learn my lesson.

I'm 50/50 between another diavel or MTS Pikes. Nothing out of Japan does anything for me and I read BMWs are even less reliable than Ducs. Nothing from Triumph excites me, and something too exotic like MV Agusta would just be annoying to deal with such a tiny dealer footprint.


I test rode a 2019 Pikes Peak and liked it a lot. Though the gearing is way too tall. Would put a 14 tooth front sprocket on immediately. It's really hard to understand why Ducati would gear the MTS so objectively stupid.
jhblaze1 is offline  
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2019, 6:41 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhblaze1 View Post
It started leaking oil from the airbox vent tube around 400 miles. After 2 trips to the dealership, Ducati north america wanted to replace the cylinders, pistons, and rings. Basically a blow-by problem. But by the time the engine kit came in and the time it would take to do the work I was over 30 days out of service which is the cutoff for California lemon law. So I told them I want a new bike and they agreed to refund my purchase price with tax title reg etc.

They tried to convince me to take the bike back with the fix and offered an extended warranty but I declined. I paid top dollar for a brand new bike and didn't want it to turn into top dollar for a bike with a rebuilt engine.


I had a 2015 Diavel carbon that I loved but the damn key fob never worked and the gas gauge broke 5 times. I ended up just getting rid of it.

Really starting to wonder if Ducati is even remotely capable of producing a fully functioning motorcycle. Yet, I still want one......bc I'm stupid and don't learn my lesson.

I'm 50/50 between another diavel or MTS Pikes. Nothing out of Japan does anything for me and I read BMWs are even less reliable than Ducs. Nothing from Triumph excites me, and something too exotic like MV Agusta would just be annoying to deal with such a tiny dealer footprint.


I test rode a 2019 Pikes Peak and liked it a lot. Though the gearing is way too tall. Would put a 14 tooth front sprocket on immediately. It's really hard to understand why Ducati would gear the MTS so objectively stupid.

Why do cars have such superior reliability to motorcycles? BMW cars work, why not their bikes?

I have owned two Ducatis and they both had obvious quality assurance or poorly speced out components that would be easy enough to get right if the motivation was there. Very frustrating indeed.
Pard is offline  
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2019, 9:03 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Santa Barbara, CA,
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhblaze1 View Post
It's really hard to understand why Ducati would gear the MTS so objectively stupid.
I've been told it's a Euro 4/Euro 5 emissions thing. Gearing the bike tall gives them some advantage based on the current testing methodology.
porkrind is offline  
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2019, 7:59 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Munster, Indiana, United States
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhblaze1 View Post
It started leaking oil from the airbox vent tube around 400 miles. After 2 trips to the dealership, Ducati north america wanted to replace the cylinders, pistons, and rings. Basically a blow-by problem. But by the time the engine kit came in and the time it would take to do the work I was over 30 days out of service which is the cutoff for California lemon law. So I told them I want a new bike and they agreed to refund my purchase price with tax title reg etc.

They tried to convince me to take the bike back with the fix and offered an extended warranty but I declined. I paid top dollar for a brand new bike and didn't want it to turn into top dollar for a bike with a rebuilt engine.


I had a 2015 Diavel carbon that I loved but the damn key fob never worked and the gas gauge broke 5 times. I ended up just getting rid of it.

Really starting to wonder if Ducati is even remotely capable of producing a fully functioning motorcycle. Yet, I still want one......bc I'm stupid and don't learn my lesson.

I'm 50/50 between another diavel or MTS Pikes. Nothing out of Japan does anything for me and I read BMWs are even less reliable than Ducs. Nothing from Triumph excites me, and something too exotic like MV Agusta would just be annoying to deal with such a tiny dealer footprint.


I test rode a 2019 Pikes Peak and liked it a lot. Though the gearing is way too tall. Would put a 14 tooth front sprocket on immediately. It's really hard to understand why Ducati would gear the MTS so objectively stupid.

I am in a similar dilemna....I paid big money for this bike even with a 5 year warranty and the full termi/map. I am not going to settle for a repair...if they find something I want a new motor or the bike is gonna be sold or traded. This really sucks quite honestly and if I didn't have another bike I would be supremely pissed!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal Labotamy!
CRFan1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome