Oil Leak after oil change - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 12:09 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine1 View Post
I use no gasket but a product called Motoseal. Both surfaces clean and dry, then dab product around them both, assemble and fill w oil.
It appears that Motoseal is actually Permatex MotoSeal Grey, which I used: Permatex 29132 MotoSeal 1 Ultimate Gasket Maker Grey, 2.7 oz

Wolverine1 likes this.

1976 RD400 (Project), 1997 916 Biposto, 2013 Street Triple R, 2014 Multistrada 1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 5:06 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by herveyw View Post
It appears that Motoseal is actually Permatex MotoSeal Grey, which I used: Permatex 29132 MotoSeal 1 Ultimate Gasket Maker Grey, 2.7 oz

Then blame not that specific product, but maybe the application. I have used Motoseal for years in various applications with excellent success (not a failure yet). It seems to me to be identical to Hondabond (all anaerobic sealers). I worked at a motorcycle shop for while and we used it for some (mostly Honda) case covers that the factory doesn't call for a gasket.

It will not work if you had any oil residue on either side, and it's not easy to keep the oil pan clean unless you wait long enough for it to stop dripping.

Clean both sides (with carb cleaner or contact cleaner, something that will remove oil residue and not leave a film), apply a film to both sides, wait a minute or 2 and assemble. Then give it about 15 minutes or so and fill motor w/ oil. Maybe your film was too thin? But you also don't want major squeeze out.

Like I said, it works fine for me.

'10 MTS1200 S
'00 VTR1000f
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 9:22 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine1 View Post
Clean both sides (with carb cleaner or contact cleaner, something that will remove oil residue and not leave a film), apply a film to both sides, wait a minute or 2 and assemble. Then give it about 15 minutes or so and fill motor w/ oil. Maybe your film was too thin? But you also don't want major squeeze out.
Spoke to a tech at the dealer, guess what? There's DucatiBond

Anyway, the tip was to let it set up for around 45 minutes before filling with oil.
Wolverine1 likes this.

1976 RD400 (Project), 1997 916 Biposto, 2013 Street Triple R, 2014 Multistrada 1200S

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Buy a roll of gasket material and make a gasket. It takes about two minutes if you just trace the outline of the plate. I gave up on sealers years ago and just make a new gasket once per season when I check the screen filter.

2014 Multistrada S Pikes Peak, 2017 KTM 1090 Adventure R, 2009 KTM 250XCWe
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2019, 8:29 am

I just checked my oil screen for the first time on an oil change this week on my 2011 MTS. Dealer had the gasket ( 78810651A ) in stock for $4 and change so I decided to go that route instead of sealant. It's been a couple days and we're leak free. For $4, will be way less mess and easier checking it next time. Definitely the way to go for me. 42,500 miles and screen looked brand new with only 1 little metal fleck.
Wolverine1 likes this.

2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200
2002 Ducati ST4S - Stealth Grey!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2019, 8:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1198SP View Post
Get one of these and you'll never have to mess with Permatex again. I clean the sump filter on both of my Ducs ever oil change and this makes it much quicker

https://motowheels.com/i-8426513-cor...vel-m1200.html

I did the same thing, initial cost high but easy to do over n over even blindfolded.
Wolverine1 likes this.

Diavel or Monster?---TBD
x- 2009 RED 1198s
x- 2008 YELLOW 1098
x- 2005 YELLOW 749
x- 2004 BLUE TRIUMPH SpeedMaster
x- 2001 YELLOW 748
x- 2000 YELLOW SuperSport 750
x -1989 WHITE KTM 250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode