Flats happen - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 7:04 am Thread Starter

Flats happen

I've been carrying a tire repair kit on my motorcycles for decades but I've never had a flat until yesterday. I was 30 miles from a town and way out of cell range. I was rolling again in about 20 minutes I have a few things to share: carry a kit and practice using it (on an old tire) at home. You will need good power for the compressor and the dashboard socket is not enough. I have a pigtail (in-line fused) attached to my battery. I used a cheep Slime pump. It worked fine but I would upgrade for a round the world trip. In my practice sessions at home I've had no luck the the Stop and Go mushroom plugs and no success with the Dyna plugs with the brass tip. Sticky strings work best. The problem is by the time you need to use them the little tube of rubber cement has dried up. I strongly advise the use of the Nealeytireperairkit.com . They are strings and work just like strings but they are impregnated with glue (no tube of glue needed) and they last for many years.
suruppak, tzoykas, CRFan1 and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 7:43 am

Garage
Just got up... read the title as "Fiat's happen"... and thought "Yes unfortunate as that may be, they do. Not many in the US though" ... then I thought "Well the 500 Abarth isn't bad... needs AWD and 300hp tho".

I carry a kit when I'm touring but not as a general rule around home. Since I do ride dirt roads with touring and ADV tires I do get flats (Pirelli's seem especially susceptible)... 3 so far on the Multi (none since I switched to Pilot Road's for touring though).

We've tried a number of the small kits over the years... the only one I've found that can get tires to 35psi or so is the Aerostitch (and is still very compact). Most of the low cost Chinese units can't get pressures much over 20psi.

I've also learned not to be stingy with plugs... about half the punctures I've had took more than one to actually stop the leak. Put them in all at once, and don't be shy with the reamer (to get the hole prepared for the plugs). Then change the tire as soon as you get somewhere with a dealer (so always take your wheel socket).

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 8:23 am

Thanks for the heads up about the Nealey kit. Just ordered one.

https://www.nealeytirerepairkit.com/...5-2ec04c35e45d
Rex Coil 7 likes this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 10:00 am

What's the consensus on the kit supplied by Ducati in the tool kit? I've looked at it but not opened all the packages and examined the parts.

I've had 2 rear tire flats on my Harleys at high way speeds with the wife on back and fully loaded but I've never carried a flat kit. I've plugged many car tires but never a motorcycle tire.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 11:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pard View Post
Thanks for the heads up about the Nealey kit. Just ordered one.

https://www.nealeytirerepairkit.com/...5-2ec04c35e45d
+1. Looks good. It may be just how the pictures were shot, but one of those kits appears to have a tool with a much larger handle (which I would think is beneficial).

1996 900CR.
Never quit, die falling forward.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 12:02 pm

Thanks for the tips! I just ordered one of the Nealey mini repair kits. I've been carrying around a slime kit with compressor and goop along with the slime string plug kit with the rubber cement. This will give me a bit more confidence should I experience a flat along the way.

'16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Touring - '04 Honda ST1300A - '06 Suzuki Vstrom 1000
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 1:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNMulti View Post
What's the consensus on the kit supplied by Ducati in the tool kit? I've looked at it but not opened all the packages and examined the parts.

I've had 2 rear tire flats on my Harleys at high way speeds with the wife on back and fully loaded but I've never carried a flat kit. I've plugged many car tires but never a motorcycle tire.
I had to use the Ducati kit on my rear tire after I picked up a nail or something on my way up to Laguna Seca for WSBK. I had a couple issues.

First, the sticky strings in my kit were a little dried out. They held air in the short term but would leak down overnight. I reamed those back out and used fresh strings from car parts place and those held until I replaced the tire some time later.

Second, the CO2 inflator barely got the job done. I can't remember how many of the CO2 cartridges I used, but it was all of them. I think I only got to 15psi or something like that, so I had to limp around looking for a air pump to finish the job.

I have a Slime pump now that I removed from its enormous housing. Not as cool as some of the purpose-made ADV units, but I think it will get the job done.
TNMulti likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 5:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkrind View Post
I had to use the Ducati kit on my rear tire after I picked up a nail or something on my way up to Laguna Seca for WSBK. I had a couple issues.

First, the sticky strings in my kit were a little dried out. They held air in the short term but would leak down overnight. I reamed those back out and used fresh strings from car parts place and those held until I replaced the tire some time later.

Second, the CO2 inflator barely got the job done. I can't remember how many of the CO2 cartridges I used, but it was all of them. I think I only got to 15psi or something like that, so I had to limp around looking for a air pump to finish the job.

I have a Slime pump now that I removed from its enormous housing. Not as cool as some of the purpose-made ADV units, but I think it will get the job done.
So, adequate but don't bet the farm on it
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 5:50 pm

The last flat I got the tire ended up totally destroyed.
Had to flag someone down to call them for me when they got to cell phone service.
I carry plugs and CO2, but also a AAA card.
Also an AMA card, since I am a life member.
Flats suck.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2019, 1:09 am

Garage
I have an AltRider rack on the back of my bike with a Kriega US 20 dry bag permanently attached. Aside from its use to carry water, a fleece and rain gear according to the weather, I always have:

- A Nealey Tire repair kit
- A leatherman / penknife to cut the strings
- A Dynaplug mini pro inflator powered off the bikes ports or battery. I've successfully got my ST3R rear tyre (180/55) to 42PSI with this when my son got a flat.
- A steel socket for the front and rear wheels
- My AAA card

1976 RD400 (Project), 1997 916 Biposto, 2013 Street Triple R, 2014 Multistrada 1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode