New to me 2015 Multistrada 1200S touring - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 7:07 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: San Marcos, TX, USA
Posts: 28
New to me 2015 Multistrada 1200S touring

Hi everyone.

I just bought a Multistrada 1200S touring. I bought it online (sight unseen from a dealership) except for a good description from the sales guy and a walkaround video.

It's kind of scary, but I've done this once before with my monster S2R1000 and it worked out beautifully.

I'm going to be picking it up on a trailer this Saturday, and I have a trip scheduled for the 4th of July. Nothing major (338 miles to my best friends house for the weekend). He recently bought a Yamaha Super Tenere, so I guess we are going to give this touring bike thing a go.

The bike itself has the 2 side bags, and a titanium termignoni, and other than that it appears to be stock.


I have been buying things online for the bike (I think I need an intervention), but I just wanted to see what some experienced people think I may want to look into. Be it must have gear that I need to get, or anything in particular with the bike that I need to know about.

What I have on order at this time:

The top case (dealer found the 3rd cylinder lock under the seat. Thank GOD!)
top case covers
kickstand foot upgrade (larger)
dual USB hella outlet with built in voltage meter
Ram mount cup holder
Ram mount cell phone holder
Pannier liner bags
AGV Modular helmet
Cardo pack talk slim JBL
Summer jacket
Summer gloves

I'm not worried about boots right now. It's hot as hell, and I'm really picky. It's going to take me a while to figure out exactly what I want in those.

Are there any must have items other than this that I am REALLY going to wish I had for the trip, or will definitely want in general?
batman137 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 7:35 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 95
Yes check to see if your bike has the Ducati revised air box setup.
Essing is offline  
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 7:49 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: San Marcos, TX, USA
Posts: 28
Is that a recall thing?
How will I know if it has been revised?
batman137 is online now  
 
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 7:59 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Ottawa, , Canada
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman137 View Post
Is that a recall thing?
How will I know if it has been revised?
It's not a recall, it's completely unnecessary, don't worry about that. A nice mesh jacket and you're good to go
Tamworth is offline  
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 8:11 pm
Senior Member
 
DaveK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: in the Finger Lakes, NY, USA
Posts: 3,184
Garage
A 15 will not have the airbox mod unless the owner installed it himself or had it installed... but it's a cheap upgrade (under a hundred bucks) and it's a good design (changes the air intake mix from partly hot engine air to all cool front of bike air). You don't NEED it other than some annoying install challenges it's sort of a low impact mod.

I don't know if you are a fan of tank bags... but you might want to consider a tank bag with internal power distribution... that way you only have one line connected to the already existing outlet on the console. IMO a good tank bag is more day to day useful than a top case.

definitely kickstand pad... though those things are stupidly expensive for what they are. I have the DP unit (came with Enduro pack) and it does make a huge difference if you're on the soft stuff.

Cup holder... that's something you're not going to find on many Multi's, she 'aint that kind of tourer for most of us. If you're envisioning casual cruising kicked back with your helmet in the top case, legs up on road bars, smiling and laughing with your buddy next to you as you idle down the highway... well the Multi CAN do that... but most of us don't have the self-restraint needed to do it. I'm pretty sure most cupholders are going to have a hard time containing your favorite beverage effectively while you're failing at keeping the front wheel on the ground accelerating out of a hard corner. :-) It's longer wheelbase means it's not as hooligan as a Monster but it's power makes it hard to ride like a casual touring bike. Now if you've managed to use a cupholder on your Monster then you will be one of the few who will find utility... but if you can't imagine a cupholder on your Monster you may find the Multi is nearly as bad.

The other things to consider for real touring (>4 days/1000 miles)... seat and windscreen. Seat first - the stocker is find for weekend warrior duty but punishing touring. The windscreen is only a big problem if you ride slab for any distance (I try to avoid but touring usually means at least SOME slab)... but over 70 the buffeting gets annoying and over 80 it gets fatiguing.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
DaveK is offline  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 8:47 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: San Marcos, TX, USA
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamworth View Post
It's not a recall, it's completely unnecessary, don't worry about that. A nice mesh jacket and you're good to go
That's what I got.

Street and steel eastwood jacket.
batman137 is online now  
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 8:54 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: San Marcos, TX, USA
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
A 15 will not have the airbox mod unless the owner installed it himself or had it installed... but it's a cheap upgrade (under a hundred bucks) and it's a good design (changes the air intake mix from partly hot engine air to all cool front of bike air). You don't NEED it other than some annoying install challenges it's sort of a low impact mod.

I don't know if you are a fan of tank bags... but you might want to consider a tank bag with internal power distribution... that way you only have one line connected to the already existing outlet on the console. IMO a good tank bag is more day to day useful than a top case.

definitely kickstand pad... though those things are stupidly expensive for what they are. I have the DP unit (came with Enduro pack) and it does make a huge difference if you're on the soft stuff.

Cup holder... that's something you're not going to find on many Multi's, she 'aint that kind of tourer for most of us. If you're envisioning casual cruising kicked back with your helmet in the top case, legs up on road bars, smiling and laughing with your buddy next to you as you idle down the highway... well the Multi CAN do that... but most of us don't have the self-restraint needed to do it. I'm pretty sure most cupholders are going to have a hard time containing your favorite beverage effectively while you're failing at keeping the front wheel on the ground accelerating out of a hard corner. :-) It's longer wheelbase means it's not as hooligan as a Monster but it's power makes it hard to ride like a casual touring bike. Now if you've managed to use a cupholder on your Monster then you will be one of the few who will find utility... but if you can't imagine a cupholder on your Monster you may find the Multi is nearly as bad.

The other things to consider for real touring (>4 days/1000 miles)... seat and windscreen. Seat first - the stocker is find for weekend warrior duty but punishing touring. The windscreen is only a big problem if you ride slab for any distance (I try to avoid but touring usually means at least SOME slab)... but over 70 the buffeting gets annoying and over 80 it gets fatiguing.
Interesting.

I looked at the urban tank bag with USB ports. I decided I probably didn't need it right now, but I realize on longer trips, it may be pretty darn handy.

I got a cheap $12 kickstand pad. I'll locktite the screws and keep an eye on it, but as long as the screws stay put, I can't see a reason to spend $80 on a piece of machined aluminum. that does basically nothing.

Had to try the cupholder thing. It was $30. I'm going to try to fit the largest drink Whataburger offers in it! lol

If the seat becomes a problem, should I try to modify mine with gel inserts (I've watched a few videos), or would it be better/cheaper to just buy a completely different seat?

Any pointers on a great touring windscreen would be appreciated. There are about a million options out there.
batman137 is online now  
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 9:15 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: San Marcos, TX, USA
Posts: 28
Does anyone have this seat cover?

https://motowheels.com/i-23900625-du...-1200-dvt.html

It looks fantastic, but maybe too grippy and could possibly get too wet?
batman137 is online now  
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 9:23 pm
Senior Member
 
DaveK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: in the Finger Lakes, NY, USA
Posts: 3,184
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman137 View Post
Interesting.

I looked at the urban tank bag with USB ports. I decided I probably didn't need it right now, but I realize on longer trips, it may be pretty darn handy.

I got a cheap $12 kickstand pad. I'll locktite the screws and keep an eye on it, but as long as the screws stay put, I can't see a reason to spend $80 on a piece of machined aluminum. that does basically nothing.

Had to try the cupholder thing. It was $30. I'm going to try to fit the largest drink Whataburger offers in it! lol

If the seat becomes a problem, should I try to modify mine with gel inserts (I've watched a few videos), or would it be better/cheaper to just buy a completely different seat?

Any pointers on a great touring windscreen would be appreciated. There are about a million options out there.
I have my opinions on seat: I prefer to stick with the stock seat which is great for sport riding and add an Air Hawk which I really like for touring, neither does the others job well but the air hawk goes on and off in a couple minutes so you don't have to pick comfort for touring or firmness for hard riding. BUT... there are a number of seat threads for folks who don't like the feel of the Air Hawk (it's weird and takes some getting used to) or just prefer aftermarket seats.

Also a number of windscreen threads... I opted to get the DP carbon fiber shorty screen (same as the PP has) because I don't mind laminar wind but I hate buffeting. It's hard to get a screen that eliminates all buffeting because the all need notches to clear the handlebars and that's where the buffeting wind sneaks around... but there are some that are reportedly much better than stock. I've got 50k miles on the Multi, about 10k with the DP CF screen and the rest with the stock screen (including an 11,000 mile tour)... I honestly didn't find the stock screen to be too bad for touring but I also tour 98% on 2 lane roads rather than interstates or other divided highways (so my average speeds are much lower). So your choice in screen may really depend on how you use the bike. I held onto my stock screen when I got the CF screen but I've not found that I needed to switch back even for longer tours (nothing that long but I've done multiple >1week tours with it).

Also depending on your riding style... you might want to change gear ratio. For touring probably not but if you're like me and touring is mostly about riding to places where you can have fun sport riding then you may find the tall gearing on the Multi is a problem.
hubduc likes this.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"

Last edited by DaveK; Jun 23rd, 2019 at 9:29 pm.
DaveK is offline  
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 10:00 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: San Marcos, TX, USA
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
I have my opinions on seat:
Interesting info on the seat. I didn't think about that.

I'll jus thave to take the ride on the 4th and see what I think about the windscreen. That's the one thing I've been worried about, but I am used to riding the monster with a GPA tornado helmet. It looks cool, but is absolutely terrible in every other way.

I'm thinking I will be in the lap of luxury now.
batman137 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome