Multistrada 1260 "Ducati Wheelie Control" - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 2 Post By multimike

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 8:42 am Thread Starter

Garage
Multistrada 1260 "Ducati Wheelie Control"

DWC setting, DTC setting, gear, height, distance, speed etc.
Share your experiences here. Us kids want to know.
The Good :, Bad : and hopefully not Ugly :

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak ------ 2016 Monster 1200 R
2016 Panigale 959 (gone but shall return in a new iteration)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 1:19 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
DWC setting, DTC setting, gear, height, distance, speed etc.
Share your experiences here. Us kids want to know.
The Good :, Bad : and hopefully not Ugly :
Not sure if your post is specific to the 1260 , these are my thoughts for my 1015 1200

DWC=1, just enough to prevent disaster but allow some fun
DTC=3, kicks in when you need it but not too much intervention also doesnít show the yellow enduro light
Gear= 14 T front 40 (stock rear) most of the time, +1- 41 tooth rear in dirt mode (dirt road trips w/ TK-80's)
Height = (seating) low slung Corbin seat (suspension) good amount of front and rear preload added for ground clearance.
Distance = 42 K overall, some commuting, mostly weekend rides, some multi-day adventure rides, hand full of track days, a few 800 mile days.
Speed=about 135 max. lots of 90-120- top speed and jail are not my thing...
good= Love the bike all around it's been fantastic, most advanced machine in my driveway. Rapid bike rips.
Bad = I have spent too much on her..
Ugly = Well, kind the entire bike, it's something you need to fall in love with.

BTW, I herd more rumors about a V-4 Multi at the local dealer. I cut a deposit check on the spot , as soon as that comes out Iím all in.
DaveK and DarR like this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 3:00 pm Thread Starter

Garage
It wasn't 1260 specific for wheelies but referring to DWC, I wasn't sure if previous years had it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 4:34 am

Garage
Summary is right on... though I'd add to be careful cresting hills. I generally run at DWC3 and that lets you get nice power wheelies in first and second (1200s) if you're on it hard, but not more than a few inches of air. I pulled out to pass someone as I crested a sharp hill and (it makes sense if you think about it) confused the hell out of the DWC... which ended up giving me a nice DWC1 big air wheelie.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 5:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
...I pulled out to pass someone as I crested a sharp hill and (it makes sense if you think about it) confused the hell out of the DWC... which ended up giving me a nice DWC1 big air wheelie.
Would adding a little bit of rear brake in those situations make the DWC not respond (eg; reduce power)?

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ... LOW ZOOT

Last edited by Rex Coil 7; Jun 26th, 2019 at 5:52 am. Reason: added clarity
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 10:48 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
Would adding a little bit of rear brake in those situations make the DWC not respond (eg; reduce power)?
Assuming Ducati's had a rear brake.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 10:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
Assuming Ducati's had a rear brake.
Ha! I see what you did there ... you made a funny!

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ... LOW ZOOT
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 11:26 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Summary is right on... though I'd add to be careful cresting hills. I generally run at DWC3 and that lets you get nice power wheelies in first and second (1200s) if you're on it hard, but not more than a few inches of air. I pulled out to pass someone as I crested a sharp hill and (it makes sense if you think about it) confused the hell out of the DWC... which ended up giving me a nice DWC1 big air wheelie.
Yes, I have had that happen to me too, 3rd gear on it hard over a crest and at warp speed, it came up fast with lots of air under the bike, yellow and red lights flashing on the dash then settled down all in 1/3 of a second. I had to change my shorts. The DWC is pitch dependent, going downhill, or up a steep hill it doesnít like to come up, over a crest it can be scary. It reminds you how important wheelie control is and how much power the bike puts out. It would take a better rider than me to turn it off.

David, I think I read on another thread that your running 14-42 gearing? That lower than me so your set up is allot more wheelie prone, I am running 14-40
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by multimike View Post
David, I think I read on another thread that your running 14-42 gearing? That lower than me so your set up is allot more wheelie prone, I am running 14-40
yea... yea it is...

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 1:43 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlopez View Post
DWC 1 also for the same reasons as above. Wheel comes up, but I have the sense of security that it wonít topple over if Iím careless.
I was out recently but not specifically for wheelies however since I'm on the bike...
While in 2nd gear, (engine High, DWC 3 & DTC 5) I whacked the throttled (more than my usual) while popping the clutch, staying on the gas and voila...Most height ever and didn't have to chase the RPM's as I was way up there for what seemed like awhile (relatively speaking). Noticed amber lights on the display staying on throughout. Best and highest one yet on the Multi.

One that note, the manual states:
Levels 1, 2 and 3 allow easier wheelies, but reduce their speed: these levels are recommended only for track use and for expert riders who can control wheelies on their own and exploit the system feature that reduces the speed at which the front wheel tends to lift.

This does not infer height control as I initially thought it did. I suspect the bike could still loop in DWC 1~3.
Comments?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode