2014 Multi - Clutch Slave Replacement - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2019, 10:53 pm Thread Starter

Garage
2014 Multi - Clutch Slave Replacement

After a brutally expensive Desmo service, my dealer tells me I still I need a new chain and sprockets and that the clutch slave is failing.

The OEM slave cylinder is $167 and my dealer says they think this is the best option but I'm tempted to go with an aftermarket part instead, such as Oberon, PSR or Ducabike.

Any opinions?

1976 RD400 (Project), 1997 916 Biposto, 2013 Street Triple R, 2014 Multistrada 1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2019, 2:06 am

Garage
Iv`e only used Oberon on all my Ducati`s, they have all worked very well and I have never had one fail plus because of the different ratio it makes the clutch lighter. So recommended.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2019, 4:26 am

I recently replaced mine with an Oberon and am very happy. Simple to change and noticeably better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go all out or go home!
2017 Red Multistrada 1200S Touring

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2019, 6:05 am

Garage
Another vote for the Oberon.

'10 MTS1200 S
'00 VTR1000f
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2019, 10:04 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossoStrada View Post
I recently replaced mine with an Oberon and am very happy. Simple to change and noticeably better.
I'm interested in this topic.
Was the OEM failing and what were the symptoms if it did?
Or was it a performance mod and if it was, what's better?

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak ------ 2016 Monster 1200 R
2016 Panigale 959 (gone but shall return in a new iteration)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2019, 10:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post

Nothing was technically wrong with the OEM cylinder. I heard good things about the Oberon. So while I replaced my clutch and brake reservoirs, I also decided to change this. Definitely smoother shifting and easier on the hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DarR likes this.

Go all out or go home!
2017 Red Multistrada 1200S Touring
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2019, 10:10 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
In my case, the clutch started needing adjustment at the lever on the way down to WCM, eventually I hit the limit of adjustment and had to bleed it on the first day of my return trip. It seemed good as I got some air out but by the time I got home two days later it was losing it's pull again and needing adjustment. It had a full flush as part of the service but the tech said that its leaking, repair not possible, no externally visible signs.
DarR likes this.

1976 RD400 (Project), 1997 916 Biposto, 2013 Street Triple R, 2014 Multistrada 1200S
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2019, 7:06 pm

Garage
Good info here from both perspective. Thanks guys for sharing.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak ------ 2016 Monster 1200 R
2016 Panigale 959 (gone but shall return in a new iteration)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 11:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by herveyw View Post
After a brutally expensive Desmo service, my dealer tells me I still I need a new chain and sprockets and that the clutch slave is failing.

The OEM slave cylinder is $167 and my dealer says they think this is the best option but I'm tempted to go with an aftermarket part instead, such as Oberon, PSR or Ducabike.

Any opinions?
You mind me asking what brutally expensive was? Iím assuming it was your 30k? As far as the clutch slave cylinder, I find it odd that I have to keep adding fluid in my reservoir. It keeps getting low. Where is it going if there are no visible leak. I just had a new clutch put in, much better but still losing fluid.

2014 Red MTS ST, 2006 Yamaha FZ6
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2019, 12:41 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasrider View Post
You mind me asking what brutally expensive was? Iím assuming it was your 30k? As far as the clutch slave cylinder, I find it odd that I have to keep adding fluid in my reservoir. It keeps getting low. Where is it going if there are no visible leak. I just had a new clutch put in, much better but still losing fluid.
re: clutch, I don't have to top off; there is no visible external leak with mine, just a gradual loss of pressure. Happy to put an Oberon on, I'll probably do the same on my 916.

re: service, it was the 15k service.

I told them not to do the engine oil/filter as I had just done that (V300), but the bike needed rear brake pads ($35). The bill was $515 in parts, $1355 in labor ($149/hr), $44 other (?) for a total of $1914. Plus 10% sales tax, grand total $2105. I was quoted similar by another local dealer, I could have got the price down by restricting the service to just belts/valves and doing all the other items myself (hydraulic flush, clean/lube rear spindle, coolant flush, battery check, torque all bolts and lube pivots) but it's a lot of work to pull all the bodywork and fuel tank.

Last winter I replaced the fork seals after one blew ($89/pair from Ducati Omaha, $20ish on fork oil, $55 on a fork cap socket from the UK, $48 on a seal driver, plus a solid day of my time). In May, I coughed up $108 because Ducati would not warranty my 4th failed fuel level sensor, plus $120 for a failed MAP sensor, and pulled bodywork and fuel tank to replace them. I just ordered an Oberon clutch slave for $132 from Motowheels and will replace it myself (dealer wants $167 plus tax and then labour for the install), a new chain/quick change sprocket is $420 from Sprocket Center plus my time (dealer is $507 plus tax and then labour). Plus 2 sets of tires, obviously those are consumables, so I don't count them.

After 5 years and 16k miles I've spent at least $3300 (incl 600 and 7.5k), or $660/year, in parts and servicing costs. On the flip side, I've done two trips up into Canada and one to Yellowstone/Montana with my son (priceless, as they say), multiple 400 mile day trips over the mountains with friends, plus the run down to the West Coast Meet Up in California this year (also priceless as I needed to get away and the people were great); as one comparison point, the 12k mile service on my Street Triple was over $1000.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode