MTS 1000 maintenance, what belts do you use? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 2:45 pm Thread Starter
Prolific Poster Award

MTS 1000 maintenance, what belts do you use?

I know it was probably covered extensively over the past 15 years, but things change, vendors get new product, etc,

OEM? Aftermarket? Are they all same (rebranded) or everyone has them made by different manufacturer?

Bike a 2006 with unknown age belts, they were "just replaced" when I bought it with 14k miles almost 2 years ago, I know last 2 owners and I believe them it was serviced (valves + new belts and tires) but there is no paperwork because everyone is best friends and it was done on a handshake rather than over the counter, so no one remembers the dates.
I'm thinking it was probably 7 years ago because brand new tires were 7 years old...

Currently have 21k on the clock, due to unfortunate circumstance I loaned the bike that I was gonna use to travel this summer and now I got to make sure Multi is roadworthy, so belts and tensioner bearings are my first suspect due to be replaced.

Got new tires, obviously, new clutch, new fork seals, shock serviced by Ohlins...

I guess that's about it?

a motorcycle with 2 wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 2:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry View Post
I know it was probably covered extensively over the past 15 years, but things change, vendors get new product, etc,

OEM? Aftermarket? Are they all same (rebranded) or everyone has them made by different manufacturer?

Bike a 2006 with unknown age belts, they were "just replaced" when I bought it with 14k miles almost 2 years ago, I know last 2 owners and I believe them it was serviced (valves + new belts and tires) but there is no paperwork because everyone is best friends and it was done on a handshake rather than over the counter, so no one remembers the dates.

I'm thinking it was probably 7 years ago because brand new tires were 7 years old...

Currently have 21k on the clock, due to unfortunate circumstance I loaned the bike that I was gonna use to travel this summer and now I got to make sure Multi is roadworthy, so belts and tensioner bearings are my first suspect due to be replaced.

Got new tires, obviously, new clutch, new fork seals, shock serviced by Ohlins...

I guess that's about it?
I only use Ducati belts....the tensioning becomes problematic with the aftermarket brand...I don't think they hold up well... tensioning that is.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 7:01 am

Bought Ducati OEM from Amazon when I did my 15,000 mile service last month.

Ryan - Apollo Beach, FL
2013 Multistrada Pikes Peak

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 7:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhgaboo View Post
I only use Ducati belts....the tensioning becomes problematic with the aftermarket brand...I don't think they hold up well... tensioning that is.
how?

know all wanker
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 7:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by belter View Post
how?
I've read complaints on here how the engine heat would allow the belt to possibly stretch...not necessarily catastrophic...more audible and annoyance...they do need to be installed at a lesser tension or they will whine... I'm sure someone who has used them will attest to this
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 8:00 am

california cycleworks exactfit? i've sold over 5,500 pairs of them as the australian distributor. i tension them as per the normal ducati belts. personally had no issues with the ones i've fitted.
ducvet and Dmitry like this.

know all wanker
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 8:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by belter View Post
california cycleworks exactfit? i've sold over 5,500 pairs of them as the australian distributor. i tension them as per the normal ducati belts. personally had no issues with the ones i've fitted.
Can't argue with that...lol...that's a big number

I'll get a whine on mine(Ducati brand) at 2k rpm upon reinstallation @ anything above 80hz...it's subtle but you hear it like a giggle decelerating...I've since taken to 105hz new and 75hz old and this seems to hold up unless I'm stuck in traffic and the engine gets nuclear...then she whines regardless but will quiet back down when things get normal again

Exact fit belts are 90hz and 70hz installed I believe...110hz and 80hz are the m821 recommended value
I'll find a video clip for reference when I get home this evening
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 11:03 am Thread Starter
Prolific Poster Award

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 6:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhgaboo View Post
Exact fit belts are 90hz and 70hz installed I believe..
where did you get those numbers from?

know all wanker
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 8:21 pm

I've had good luck with the CA CycleWorks belts.
Probably six or so sets, everything from a 996 to a 696 to an S2R800, S2R1000, S4RS, Cagiva Gran Canyon.
So we have covered 2 valve, 4 valve, air-cooled and water-cooled...
(Pretty sure I first found them through LT Snyder, and I trust his experience and judgement implicitly.)

Next will be my 1200 Multistrada, and I think I'll stick with those belts...

2012 Multistrada S
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon (stolen January 2019)

Last edited by orionengnr; Jun 11th, 2019 at 8:27 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode