Aftermarket shocks/springs - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2019, 10:46 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallOne View Post
These are all good points but coming up on a year and haven't taken it out of touring mode.
Touring mode is a bit different... if you actually tour than the semi-active suspension makes it super easy to adjust for varying load: Weekend ride... rider mode. Weekend trip, rider with luggage... long tour, 2 riders with luggage. IMO the S is worth it for folks who tour. Now if you just leave it in touring mode because you like the softer suspension and throttle response but never do anything but commute or ride alone on the weekend then you're sort of in the same bin as sport only riders. But if your load is frequently varying then the semi-active suspension is really nice.

I switch between touring and sport all the time even when commuting - rough road... touring, section of twisties... sport, rain... touring, high speed blast on smooth highway (within posted speed limits... of course)... sport, stop and go in town... touring. I would like to try the Ohlins semi-active at some point - but I don't see ever having a fixed suspension for a daily rider after living with the S (which may not be Ohlins quality but is very good).

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2019, 9:29 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
I hope you're tutoring at California Superbike School.
California Urban High School

Come to think of it I use sport as a default stiff setting for grocery runs. If 22lbs is the recommend limit for that box I'm being bad. Costco run with combined messenger bag packed and box loaded is easily 60lbs, but the trip home is less than 2 miles. The front feels very light.

Need to remind myself to have dealer do engine first and give it a clean bill of health before tearing into the suspension. How about fork oil weights? When I rebuilt the FZ I used a table with actual working viscosity at temp, which varies wildly depending on brand.

A few posters here have derided the OEM fork oil as less than. Is that because it came out ugly, or as a comparison to a more correct weight for the application? Are to OEM springs commonly replaced for 220# riders?

I'm OK, you're OK
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2019, 9:52 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
softer suspension and throttle response but never do anything but commute or ride alone on the weekend then you're sort of in the same bin as sport only riders. But if your load is frequently varying then the semi-active suspension is really nice.
Throttle response on high here. Makes sense what you are saying. Going to give the service of OEM parts a try. Question: does the touring mode enable linked braking? I've stomped on the rear brake and had pretty good results. Reading the manual it seems a 2015 MS has linked brakes.

The MTS has exceeded all expectations in regards to handling. Ducati should be commended for that piece...

I'm OK, you're OK

Last edited by TallOne; Jun 8th, 2019 at 10:07 pm.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2019, 7:07 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallOne View Post
Throttle response on high here. Makes sense what you are saying. Going to give the service of OEM parts a try. Question: does the touring mode enable linked braking? I've stomped on the rear brake and had pretty good results. Reading the manual it seems a 2015 MS has linked brakes.

The MTS has exceeded all expectations in regards to handling. Ducati should be commended for that piece...
Brakes are linked... but if you engage the rear brake first it decouples them IIRC.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2019, 2:43 pm Thread Starter

Garage
FInally got down to business on the suspension. Dealer #1 said in person (owner), "we do the shock here." Wow, cool, like in-house? "Yes"

Dealer number two with no wait and with which I already have a relationship: "We just send them to Race Tech, can you take it off yourself?" Hmmm. Call service dealer #1, hey you guys do in-house shock freshen up? "No, we send out to Race Tech."

So there we are, shock is coming off to go to RT and just waiting for estimate on turn around time/cost. Kind of a PITA to get that thing out of the MTS though. Good posts here describing the procedure.

My only hitch is no center stand. I saw some owners had a stand lifting off the frame holes down low and towards the back. Any suggestions on how to lift the bike without a center stand while leaving the swingarm free to move appreciated...

I'm OK, you're OK
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2019, 8:08 pm

Garage
There are some expensive lift stands out there that can center lift the Multi... or you could just buy the center stand (that might be the cheapest way to safely go)... there are usually some used one's on ebay.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2019, 7:35 am
Prolific Poster Award

I hang my bikes from the rafters with eye bolts and ratchet straps.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 6:35 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
There are some expensive lift stands out there that can center lift the Multi... or you could just buy the center stand (that might be the cheapest way to safely go)... there are usually some used one's on ebay.
For $150-200. WTF? I would happily pay a hundred bucks to a member here, plus shipping costs. But that's a tube steel painted black part, not titanium...JFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
I hang my bikes from the rafters with eye bolts and ratchet straps.
I lost my garage space. If I had it again this whole discussion would be moot. Made a WTB post in classifieds. Crossed fingers.

On to the spring. Race Tech sent an estimate for the rebuild, a quite reasonable $400. Sweet. However, they have matched my description of riding needs with a 114NM spring. Too hard. That much I know. 105 would be better based on a few hours of perusing posts here and elsewhere. I'm #220 in gear and 90% solo.

What I didn't request was a front spring match. Not that the front is deficient, only to keep the very comfortable boing boing and 50/50 distribution. Many an awesome suspension has been wrecked by mismatching components. What do you all think? Is there an ultimate suspension thread for MTS? That would be nice.

I'm OK, you're OK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode