Replacements for plastic fuel quick release couplings - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2019, 6:54 pm Thread Starter

Replacements for plastic fuel quick release couplings

I just finished 15k Desmo service on my 2014 Multistrada .
Problem 1:
=======
When I connected back my plastic fuel couplings , i observed fuel leak as soon I turned on the ignition key.
I broke one of the male plastic quick release connector while trying to unplug to inspect. One of the viton O-rings (part # 88641181A) broke off and caused the leak :-(. I also ordered a connector (part # 81440101A) and couple of O-rings.
While looking for solutions, I observed that this has been a common problem in ducatis and aftermarket metal quick release connectors and even metal fuel pump base are available. I could not find one that fits 2014 Multi (atleast from product description and fitting checks).
Has anyone tried this or have any suggestions ?

Problem 2:
=======
There is not clamp used to connect the fuel connector to hose. The hose has some inner sleeve that kind of sticks to the fuel connector and does not let it out easy. The inner sleeve stretchs as I try to pull it out. How do I remove it? Can i reuse the hose if I somehow pull it out? That shit is expensive to buy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3299.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	944583   Click image for larger version

Name:	89235C77-1C3D-49A4-8736-05CFA1AE10D4.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	944585  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2019, 8:32 pm

I've boken mine on my monster 821...afraid your going to have to get the line and all...I'd check eBay first
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2019, 10:27 pm

Garage
Someone told me metal ones were available, too. But I don't have any details... If anyone finds them, please post here.

2014 Pikes Peak

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2019, 10:31 pm

Garage
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2019, 10:39 pm

I had no idea you could order just that part...that's awesome!...having broken one I could see the benefits of metal...I would assume it needs a metal flange to...that part appears to be fused to the fuel pump assembly on mine
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2019, 10:43 pm

Garage
Looks like Gotham should know what can or can't be done on the multi:

https://www.gothamcycles.com/quick-disconnects.html

2014 Pikes Peak
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2019, 10:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorton View Post
Looks like Gotham should know what can or can't be done on the multi:

https://www.gothamcycles.com/quick-disconnects.html
It looks legit ...and the 899/1299 have a similar designed pump and there's a kit for those ...the benefits are huge...just clueless on how they secured the fitting to the flange...my Google search only turned up someone who used it on a 748 with a metal flange
...and after a bit more looking...the panigale have the fitting on the tank which then gets plumbed to the pump...so I still don't see this working on a plastic flanged pump

Last edited by Buhgaboo; Jun 1st, 2019 at 11:09 pm.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 11:02 am

Garage
Yeah, I don't know how to modify the pump plate, either. Never had mine apart. Maybe the 998 has screw in fittings, dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnakanth Batta View Post
There is not clamp used to connect the fuel connector to hose. The hose has some inner sleeve that kind of sticks to the fuel connector and does not let it out easy. The inner sleeve stretchs as I try to pull it out. How do I remove it? Can i reuse the hose if I somehow pull it out? That shit is expensive to buy.
Seems the OP's original issue remains though, how to get the fitting out of the hose. Maybe Gotham will know...

2014 Pikes Peak
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 11:29 am Thread Starter

Will talk to Gotham to find more details about the fuel hose and connector speration and salvage the fuel line. High prossure fuel line Ducati uses are expensive.

About the flange: Corse Dynamics make metal fuel pup bases:
https://motowheels.com/i-17706246-co...i-749-999.html
https://motowheels.com/i-10788272-co...-796-1100.html

Every part of the Ducati fuel base can be dismantled except the female plastic nozzles into which the male fuel connector connects. they are part of the fuel base mold. Refer the second pic.

Here is what i decided to do.
1) I will measure the hose dimensions, look for generic connectors and extend the hose for little more room when I have to take of the tank next time. Not a must but I had to cut 4 inches of the hose to take the old connectors out and get to a point where the hose could be salvaged. After the extension, I will use old school clamps to clamp them.
2) Still debating if I should do this step now are later: Find generic metal female connector that can NPL thread into the plastic nozzle to fuel pump base. I hope NPL thread into the plastic nozzle would stay. I will use a heady duty threading compound for sealing it tight. hoping these would fit https://www.gothamcycles.com/metal/d...0-triumph.html
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 11:48 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnakanth Batta View Post
Will talk to Gotham to find more details about the fuel hose and connector speration and salvage the fuel line. High prossure fuel line Ducati uses are expensive.

About the flange: Corse Dynamics make metal fuel pup bases:
https://motowheels.com/i-17706246-co...i-749-999.html
https://motowheels.com/i-10788272-co...-796-1100.html

Every part of the Ducati fuel base can be dismantled except the female plastic nozzles into which the male fuel connector connects. they are part of the fuel base mold. Refer the second pic.

Here is what i decided to do.
1) I will measure the hose dimensions, look for generic connectors and extend the hose for little more room when I have to take of the tank next time. Not a must but I had to cut 4 inches of the hose to take the old connectors out and get to a point where the hose could be salvaged. After the extension, I will use old school clamps to clamp them.
2) Still debating if I should do this step now are later: Find generic metal female connector that can NPL thread into the plastic nozzle to fuel pump base. I hope NPL thread into the plastic nozzle would stay. I will use a heady duty threading compound for sealing it tight. hoping these would fit https://www.gothamcycles.com/metal/d...0-triumph.html
Those bases are nice pieces, albeit pricey. Assume not compatible with Multi since missing electrical connection

No idea what these fuel lines are made of if they are high pressure. But I'd think automotive parts would be available and a splice seems like the most reasonable solution. If the Ducati fitting stays without clamps, one would think another would too. Unless they are attached with some sort of adhesive. One would think Gotham would know, I'm very interested to hear what you learn.

re NPT threads, I doubt that will wok unless the plastic is very thick at that point. The taper of the NPT threads will put a lot of pressure on the sides of the hole to seal and stay tight.

2014 Pikes Peak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode