Lighter flywheel in 1200 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2019, 8:07 am Thread Starter

Garage
Lighter flywheel in 1200

Hey just getting an idea how many of you 1200 owners have tried a light flywheel on your 1200?

I just rebuilt a 1200 (bad main) and while I was in there I saw how heavy the stock flywheel is on the 1200 (almost 9lbs). I did some modifications and fitted a early model 4 lb flywheel instead of fitting a 2lb flywheel I normally would use.

Just curious what other 1200 owners have done with their flywheels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2019, 9:00 am
Prolific Poster Award

hi ducvet. not done any multis but a heap of 1198 supers. most like the stock flywheel. my early experiments started with a machined aly wheel. full aly wheel. machined steel and full steel. most people, me included, liked the stocker. on the few multis ive ridden it didnt feel to me like i would like to lighten the wheel. my belief is the more toque the engine produces, the less it likes a light wheel. the wet really brings out the shortcomings of the lighter flywheel. my thoughts and experience only.
jheurte likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2019, 9:22 am Thread Starter

Garage
Xracer
I often take bikes down to 2lb flywheel as it is a good compromise of keeping idle and not increasing engine braking too much. Some like more some less. On the 1200 the flywheel is starting life at almost 9 pounds so the heaviest I have found yet. the change was great enough we only dropped it to 4 pounds which is still more than a 1198 (IIRC they are just over 2 pounds) so should be plenty fine. Taking moore than 1/2 the weight though always gives you pause hence my question for others who have done so on a 1200 multi.

If it were my bike I would spend enough time to know but all I do is test ride them and it feels okay to me but long term real world use?

Makes me wonder if the added mass as well as more weight out on the crank end is not some of the problem with multi crank and bearing failures. The oem flywheel is about 10mm thicker so some of that weight is on the end nearer the alternator cover bearing.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2019, 7:50 pm
Prolific Poster Award

My reply was for the large supers, I like to pull a fair bit off the smaller bikes but as the capacity and torque goes up I keep the weight on.
On the note that you think the heavy flywheel maybe the causes of a lot of crank fails. In the late 80s a lot of people ran the big GSXRs as race bikes when the rules allowed. Crank failures were common but not on the little bikes (750s) Suzuki believed it to be the harmonics produced by the crank because of rubber front engine mounts being replaced with solid aluminium mounts in race trim. Failures were common and not random. Maybe, just maybe, there are some harmonics in the multi engine that over time cause bearing issues. And the possible cause could be the heavy flywheel. Food for thought.
jheurte and ducvet like this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2019, 8:37 pm

Location: Backus MN 30 miles of serpentine State HWY 84 not one stop sign, mn, usa
I wouldn't invest the time or money did one on my 999s didn't change much other then a little touchy starting!

if 666,was 999 ,Nero 06 999s & Lots of Gibson guitars .
When he looked in a mirror - it was a photo of a clown !
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2019, 10:04 pm

i also think the impact of one depends on the rest of the bike, as an overall inertial ratio for want of a better term. if you have a light bike and light wheels, etc, as well as the greater capacity then it's of less need and often not as nice as on a heavy bike (both static and rotational). like it's good on a 996 or 999 coz they're quite fat, but not an 1198 which is lighter on both counts and, realistically, has engine internals that weigh the same or less.

mts 1200 really aren't that heavy either, given what they are, and have similar wheels, etc.

like when the pro racer gets dragged along to the new model launch and says how "nice and smooth" the stocker is, which in his reality really translates as heavy and slow.

know all wanker
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2019, 7:32 am
Prolific Poster Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by belter View Post
i also think the impact of one depends on the rest of the bike, as an overall inertial ratio for want of a better term. if you have a light bike and light wheels, etc, as well as the greater capacity then it's of less need and often not as nice as on a heavy bike (both static and rotational). like it's good on a 996 or 999 coz they're quite fat, but not an 1198 which is lighter on both counts and, realistically, has engine internals that weigh the same or less.

mts 1200 really aren't that heavy either, given what they are, and have similar wheels, etc.

like when the pro racer gets dragged along to the new model launch and says how "nice and smooth" the stocker is, which in his reality really translates as heavy and slow.
my f3 is "nice and smooth" brad
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2019, 7:34 am

does it have the counter rotating crank?

know all wanker
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2019, 7:39 am
Prolific Poster Award

ducati f3 400 brad.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2019, 7:54 am

oh, yes. they are mucho slo.

know all wanker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode