Buying used, need advise - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 9:10 pm Thread Starter

Buying used, need advise

Hello all,

I am looking to buy a used 15 MTS and needed some advise. The guy selling the bike put on a Full Termi, I asked him if he had the dealer do it and he said he had a friend put in on. From what I have read on these forums people have said the dealer needs to install the map. Should I be conserned about this? If I buy the bike can I take it to a dealer to have them install the map properly? Could there be potential damage to the bike by running the full termi with the map not being setup properly? Anything else I should be looking for with a used 15?

Thanks for listening and any help would be much appreciated.

Stay on the Gas!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 9:21 pm

Had the owner been riding the bike with the exhaust and map installed? If so the damage is already done if any. Don't think there should be any problems. If the stock o2 sensors and system are in play/installed then I've been told that below 6k rpm that system does an adequate job of fueling. Not sure on the map upload procedure, if computer and special program are needed or it just plugs in.

Current bikes: 2014 Ducati Multistrada S Touring
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 9:26 pm

Garage
How many miles? And asking how much?

Been around the block....several times!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 9:51 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRider'S View Post
How many miles? And asking how much?
2,100 miles 15K

Stay on the Gas!!!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 9:57 am

Garage
Price seems a bit high. I was just at the local dealer and they had a new 1260 Multi S with panniers for $16,900. They had a 1200 Enduro for $20K too
MoRider'S likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 10:39 am

Purchased from Ducati, I believe the full termi system would be sold with a DP ECU with the correct fuel map for your bike. One would think that someone who spends that kind of $$ on an exhaust wouldn't cheap out on the software side of things. As far as price, it is a little high, but the bike is practically brand new (2100 mi!) with a couple thousand dollar exhaust upgrade plus whatever else it comes with... luggage, rack, aftermarket seat, grip heaters, all that stuff costs money and a lot of multi buyers don't screw around - they just buy the bike set up with what they want on it.

'09 Multistrada 1100s
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 2:37 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1198SP View Post
Price seems a bit high. I was just at the local dealer and they had a new 1260 Multi S with panniers for $16,900. They had a 1200 Enduro for $20K too
I couldn't agree more. In St Louis there is a dealer with at least 4 new old stock MSs for sale. Ranging from a 2014 for around 12K+, 2014 MS Pikes Peak, 2015 MS Touring at 15K . you get the idea. You would be well served to look around a bit for new old stock machines. New bikes with full warranties for relatively "cheap" money. FYI, I bought a new old stock 2015 MS with Touring options for just over 12K back in January. And as you might surmise from this info, St Louis is not a big Ducati market hence the leftover inventory. Feel free to pm me for further info if you wish.

Been around the block....several times!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 2:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspear99ca View Post
One would think that someone who spends that kind of $$ on an exhaust wouldn't cheap out on the software side of things.
I have no idea if this is the case with this specific bike, but in some places, that exhaust is not street legal so the dealer won't install the map unless you bring the bike on a trailer prepped for track use.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 7:24 pm

Garage
The full Termi exhaust comes with the upmap on a USB stick-like thing. I installed my full Termi in my garage and then had the upmap done at the dealer, no issues there. The Termi install on the multi is nowhere near as involved as the V4 full Akra install, so I wouldn't worry about the guy doing the handiwork himself. The upmap flash should only cost ~1/2hour of labor, so no reason that he would have skipped that part.

2015 Multistrada 1200S - Street/Track
2011 848 EVO - Track
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 9:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by floof View Post
The full Termi exhaust comes with the upmap on a USB stick-like thing. I installed my full Termi in my garage and then had the upmap done at the dealer, no issues there. The Termi install on the multi is nowhere near as involved as the V4 full Akra install, so I wouldn't worry about the guy doing the handiwork himself. The upmap flash should only cost ~1/2hour of labor, so no reason that he would have skipped that part.
Thanks for the info. If the guy rode it around with not having the up map done at the dealer would he have did any damage to the bike or would it just not run as good? I have no problem taking to the dealer but just want to make sure he did not mess anything up riding it around without the up map being installed by the dealer.

Stay on the Gas!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode