OE Pirelli Scorpion II tire life - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2019, 3:52 pm Thread Starter

OE Pirelli Scorpion II tire life

I am interested to know what mileage owners got from the OE Pirelli Scorpion II tires supplied with their Multistrada. I have a 3,000 mile tour coming up this summer and don't want to get part way to discover bald tires on the Multistrada in the middle of nowhere! I have seen some reports of 6,500 miles for the rear tire but also worrying rumors of as little as 3,000 miles. I think that this information will be useful to all new Multi owners contemplating a tour, and using search has not turned up a thread focussed on this subject. Please note if your tire is a retail replacement rather than an OE tire, as I understand that tire manufacturers sometimes may use a different rubber composition for OE tires at the bike manufacturers' request.

They told me to act my age: so I'm riding like there's no tomorrow!

2008 Ducati Sport 1000 Biposto
2005 Kawasaki ZZR1200
1957 Velocette Venom
1983 Suzuki GS750ES (passed to next generation)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2019, 3:55 pm

Mine were OE. I got about 3,800 miles out of the rear according to my service records.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2019, 8:59 pm
Sophomore Member

I got 6k out of my stock rear before an irreparable puncture. I figure it had 500-1000 miles left before hitting the wear bar. Front will probably get 8k. Those miles are almost entirely solo, but did include 2000 miles of loaded down interstate. I seem to be particularly gentle with tires on the street.

Thomas Williams
2018 Multistrada PP, 2012 Hypermotard 1100 Evo SP, 1995 900SS/SP

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2019, 9:56 pm

My rear was close to toast at around 4 and front a little better. Replace with the Pilot 5s and with about 5K on them still looking very good except the chain is biting the heck out of the sidewall. Dealer now needs to sort this out as they haven't seen this before.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2019, 11:41 pm

I got about 5500 Km with some cupping on the front. Have 2500 Km on Road 5’s and they look and feel great! Hoping to get 7000 on them.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 7:59 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by martybmw View Post
My rear was close to toast at around 4 and front a little better. Replace with the Pilot 5s and with about 5K on them still looking very good except the chain is biting the heck out of the sidewall. Dealer now needs to sort this out as they haven't seen this before.
I'm not enchanted with these Scorpions OEM tires. In fact, I'm not impressed at all with Ducati's decision to put these on the Pike Peak.
They have no cornering angle. I'm at the edge of the tire and have yet to scrape anything but my right toe which I neglected to tuck-in.

What you wrote about PR5's was previously documented on this or another forum. It is disturbing to say the least.
Not all 190 tires are 190mm wide and the true width are not published by the manufacturers in their specification sheets.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak All purpose fun
2016 Monster 1200 R Rambunctious fun
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 8:59 am

I changed my original scorpion trail tires at 7400 miles, they were still serviceable. Roadtec z01's are still going and just starting to flat in the center St 12.8k.

Current bikes: 2014 Ducati Multistrada S Touring
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 9:38 am Thread Starter

Many thanks to this thread's contributors for taking the time to supply useful information.

It seems like anywhere between 3,400 and 7,400 miles can be expected from the OE Pirelli Scorpion Trail II tires. I assume that this range of tire life is due to different load, riding style and the type of roads ridden and their surface properties. However, it does present a conundrum for a 3,000-mile trip with 1,500 - 2,000 miles already on the tires. I suppose that the safe decision would be to put a new Pirelli on the back before leaving on the tour and keep the original for remounting when that new tire has worn out. By the time that the refitted original wears out the front should be toast too, and a new pair of tires could be fitted, probably of a different brand/model.

They told me to act my age: so I'm riding like there's no tomorrow!

2008 Ducati Sport 1000 Biposto
2005 Kawasaki ZZR1200
1957 Velocette Venom
1983 Suzuki GS750ES (passed to next generation)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2019, 6:14 am

My recommendation is to start with new rubber if there is any question on a long trip. Monday I returned from a 2,500 mile trip from Austin, TX to Deals Gap, NC. I thought I had plenty of tread left, but after 700 miles into the return, the rear was down to the cord with 350 miles to go. I was watching it closely prior to this with white knuckle riding on the interstate. The Michelin Road 5 was pushing 7,500 miles.

Spent the night in Texarkana to find a tire the next morning. Cycle Zone of Texarkana was very helpful with a great owner and mechanic. Unfortunately, the only 190 tire they had was a Shimko 190/50. This is a piece of crap tire! Very flat profile with high angle edges. Almost lost the bike on simple sweepers with the bike wanting to tip onto the edges of the POS tire.

New Road 5's ordered and will not ride the bike until installed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190522_105200.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	4.02 MB
ID:	943807  

'71 Bultaco El Montadero (sold)
'99 Ducati ST4 (sold)
'17 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2019, 2:40 pm

Where you going? Rather than swapping out your tire prematurely, plan a tire replacement mid trip. Call ahead, make an appointment and have them order in the tire. Inform the shop that you want it swapped while you wait and that you’re in the middle of a long road trip, I’ve done that in the past. One note on the OEM scorpions, there were a lot of posts by members experiencing an unusual amount of flats, tire puncture. Never happened to me. And I think I got at least 7k out of the rear before I replaced it the Michelin Pilot Road 4. Now I have the 5’s.

2014 Red MTS ST, 2006 Yamaha FZ6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode