Multi 1260 Enduro or BMW 1250 ADV? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2019, 9:45 pm Thread Starter

Multi 1260 Enduro or BMW 1250 ADV?

Hi all,

I currently own a BMW R1200 GSA adventure. I also have a 1199 Pano Tri. I do not use the Pano so I am going to merge two bikes into one.

I have loved the GS for its road touring. I use the bike for riding to work and I run a top box where I change into my work clothes. It has been great however it is time to upgrade.

I really want to retain a Ducati as I have owned many for a long time. However the BMW has been so good it is hard to go past. So I am considering the new 1260 DVT Enduro.

What should I do? Does anyone have any opinions of the Enduro vs the GSA?

Tron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2019, 11:22 pm

Garage
I owned a 2017 BMW GS and thoroughly enjoyed the bike. The handling was rock solid, acceleration good, 45 mpg and comfortable ride position ( if somewhat tall but with a 32 " inseam it was not a big problem). The electronics were useful and I came to really appreciate the gearshift up/down assist ( no clutch action needed at all). Of course, the shaft drive is nice but does add weight. I replaced it with a new 2015 Multistrada 1200 with the added panniers, center stand and heated grip package. The BMW produced 125 hp vs the MS 1200 with 160 hp. The difference in the acceleration is HUGE! The MS is also quite stable providing excellent cornering however the BMW did turn in slightly quicker but notice I did say "slightly". The MS does a consistent 44 to 46 mpg ridden aggressively on backroads. The BMW bags seemed larger and perhaps better made. Comfort-wise both bikes are good with the windshield on the BMW providing better adjustment and wind protection. Personally I much prefer the sound the Ducati makes. It seems that after about 1000 miles the exhaust sound comes into its own. The BMW is more of a throaty drone, but this is just a personal preference. I've always leaned toward twin cylinder machines ( 4 Ducatis & 6 BMW twins) but the Ducatis always sound the best. As I reread this it occurs to me that the Ducati is probably more emotionally involving to me so that is not a qualifiable entity is it? I apologize for the rambling..simply trying to provide impressions that may help.
scott likes this.

Been around the block...Ö.several times!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2019, 6:34 am

Garage
I own a multi and have rented lots of Gs's over the past 5 years when traveling.
I think the previous post echos my sentiments and as someone said in a previous thread "the BMW is the better Chile, but the Ducati is the better bike".

I honestly think that both bikes do what they say they'll do and I don't see much between them in terms of cost, reliability etc. They are both quick and capable and you'll no doubt be happy whichever you choose.
I have a personal bias towards the passion of a Multi, but to be fair I also drive a Maserati instead of a BMW/Audi/Mercedes.

1965 250 Fuller-Custom Scrambler; 1998 916 SPS; 2002 MH900e; 2006 Paul Smart 1000 LE; 2011 Diavel Carbon; 2013 Multistrada GT; 2016 Scrambler UE

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2019, 12:05 pm

You could paraphrase the old saw as follows: "BMW moves my body, Ducati moves my soul".
AK-Bandit likes this.

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2019, 9:40 pm
Hammer Down

Garage
Literally the same question being asked over on ADVRider...

I actually traded a 2014 Multstrada on a 2019 1250 GSA. I think the new 1250 is a great bike and you can't go wrong with either one. I went BMW to get rid of the chain maintenance and I felt like it was better option over the MTS Enduro.

That being said...I just wrecked my 1250 in an epic way and I'm kinda doubtful they're going to repair it due to all the damage. If they total it, I'll probably go back to a Multistrada. There's just something about owning/riding a Ducati that hits you in a way that other brands just don't.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 10:34 pm

Garage
Nice to have both

2016 PP Multi
2016 BMW GSA
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2019, 10:40 am

If you are really going to offroad it, the GS is the obvious choice - if you've ever low speed manoeuvred both then it's pretty obvious why.

If it's just about tough looks and doing the occasional fire trail, I personally find the Multi much more characterful.

One thing though, the new 1250 is faster than any Multi in regular use. It produces a ton more torque in it's entire rev range, the only way you'd be faster on a Multi is if you go screaming to the top (which rarely happens) as the BMW doesn't really have one (it's all low and mid range grunt).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2019, 11:23 am

Garage
IMO it depends on how you ride and where you ride.

If you're all onroad and enjoy sport riding then I'd recommend the MTS (personally I'd get the S instead of the Enduro but if you're really tall then the Enduro is probably more comfortable). If you ride offroad then maybe the GSA (though again I'd get the GS because while I like riding both the GSA and MTS Enduro... they're both big and heavy and the GS is good at EVERYTHING).

Of course there's also what bike has the 'vibe' you like... and all these bikes are very good so that may be the most important factor of all.
O_2The_L likes this.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 12:22 pm

Wait till NOV 2020 for the V4 ENDURO
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2019, 7:37 am Thread Starter

I rode both bikes today back to back. I ordered the BMW.

For me the parts Iíve invested over the years into the current GS Rallye X can swap over to the new bike. For the Ducati I would need to start all over again. Fun but expensive.

The other major factor was the shaft drive vs chain. Never finding neatural is difficult for the BMW, Ducati always throws us a challenge and noisy chain flapping compared to shaft. Others wonít see it that way which would mean the Enduro is their better choice. Both are excellent for their own reasons.

I am also keeping the Pano 1199 Tricolor. How could I part with such a piece of art?

I hope my way experience can throw light on someone elseís in either confirming one way or another for your choices. Both at the end of the day are excellent.

Tron

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gadgetech likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode