Key Switch Issues? Bike doesn't turn on. - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 11:00 am Thread Starter

Key Switch Issues? Bike doesn't turn on.

Tried taking the 2010 MTS1200 to work today and was greeted with an inoperable machine. The bike wouldn't respond to either key (FOB or red). No dash lights, nothing. I could have sworn someone stole the battery.

I'm going to check the battery and fuses tonight. I'm nervous that the damn keyless ignition switch might be the culprit. Anyone experience something similar? Any good troubleshooting procedures?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 12:35 pm

Garage
Did you try your over ride code ?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 4:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
Did you try your over ride code ?
No. Screen won't turn on. Bike is unresponsive. Like I said, it's like the battery was removed from the bike.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 4:44 pm

Check the white plug connector at the starter relay under the seat. There is a 30 amp fuse that feeds the whole bike. There is a spare fuse along side of it. That white plug has been known to melt. There is a factory fix for that. Could have a failed battery? Cheers Keep us informed of your quest.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 7:31 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Go over the harness and push the wires back into the connectors from each side, especially the one Steve mentioned. The factory pulled the zip ties too tight on mine and the connectors werenít making good contact inside. Same symptom, one day fine, next day nothing.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2019, 6:35 am Thread Starter

Guys, thanks for the responses...have a link to that factory fix? When you talk about the harness and connectors, which ones are you referring to? Just the ones under main fuse?

I'm going to check that for sure, though it doesn't look like my problem. I checked the battery and it was at 4.6V. It's a LiFePo, so I charged it up and the bike started/ran. Took it to work today and it looks like the charging system is working (13-5-14.0V).

I'm not sure if the bike didn't charge the last time I rode it or if it had a parasitic draw while sitting for a couple days. I know the anti theft device is always on, but I'm not sure what else would cause the issue. I had a couple Triumphs that would get funky when 'off' and draw the battery down. The problem was intermittent, like the bike would do things at random times. Well known, but no cures. Hoping this isn't the issue, but I'm going to monitor the situation. Hoping to get away for a long weekend in June and I don't want to carry a charger with me, lol.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2019, 7:34 am
Prolific Poster Award

Itís up to you how many you do, but I unplugged each one, checked for corrosion, lubed them, then when I pushed the connectors back together I also pushed the wires into the connectors fully from each side. Same with the ecu, but be careful with the tiny contacts that you donít bend one. It takes about an hour.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2019, 7:36 am
Prolific Poster Award

I also cut the zip ties near the connectors and put them further away to create a little slack.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2019, 10:25 am Thread Starter

Ok, so this is more of a general concern than an acute problem. Good to know. I own a Buell as well, so I'm very familiar with how vibrations destroy connections.

Bike is running fine today...fingers crossed it was a one time fluke (but we all know how that goes...).
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2019, 4:05 pm

To the OP:

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-mult...ac-arrest.html

There is a link in that thread to the factory work around kit for the melted power connector. But it seems you may need to go battery shopping.
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode