1260 is too smooth - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2019, 11:16 pm Thread Starter

1260 is too smooth

Ok go easy on me here , I Have a 2018 multi 1260 and absolutely love the bike but itís missing the raw power feel of my 2012 1200 multi. I have the akrapovic slip-on, and + 2 rear sprocket. Iím wondering about also getting the full akrapovic headers. Anyone know if I can just run this without a rapid bike without any damage to engine, etc? Wonder if I could pick up a few HP with the full exhaust and give the bike a harder power hit without messing up the AFR too much.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 12:14 am

Garage
Really? You think the 1260 feels anemic compared to the 1200? Sorry to put words in your mouth, that was just impression I got from your post. I'm on the fence about selling my Diavel and picking up a Muliti and I have several options to choose from - a 2016 Pikes Peak for $18,500, a 2018 1260 Enduro for $20,000 or a base 1260 for $17,000. Money isn't really an issue since they're all in the same ballpark. I really dig the Pikes Peak but that's a 1200. I thought the 1260 would be a step up but, I haven't ridden a Multi since 2015 so I honestly don't know how different they feel.

Guess I better line up my test rides
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 12:57 am Thread Starter

Don’t get me wrong it puts out more power than the 1200 on a dyno, it is just very smooth, I’m used to bikes with more of a hit I guess. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the 1260, I love mine. Just always looking for more I guess.
I would not call it anemic just very linear but plenty of power
suruppak likes this.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 6:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcrf View Post
Ok go easy on me here , I Have a 2018 multi 1260 and absolutely love the bike but itís missing the raw power feel of my 2012 1200 multi. I have the akrapovic slip-on, and + 2 rear sprocket. Iím wondering about also getting the full akrapovic headers. Anyone know if I can just run this without a rapid bike without any damage to engine, etc? Wonder if I could pick up a few HP with the full exhaust and give the bike a harder power hit without messing up the AFR too much.

Any thoughts?
Yes, you can have full Akra without rapid bike. There will be ABSOLUTELY no damage to the engine. Here's a dyno proof:
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-mult...ml#post6977171

But if you want to get the most out of this wonderful exhaust (IMHO much better than Termi), I'd recommend RapidBike anyway
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 6:25 am

It's the electronics! In hindsight, I liked the raw power of my '99 ST4. The 1200 MTS is much more powerful, but at low speed, it hesitates a split second while it figures out how to not spin the rear or lift the front. All that stuff is dialed back, but I still feel the hesitation.

The other thing I do not like is the display error lights. I had to re-wire the starter solenoid per the tech bulletin. After riding about 100 miles, I now have the orange triangle in the upper left corner lit. I miss the simple days when all you had was a temp and oil pressure light.

'71 Bultaco El Montadero (sold)
'99 Ducati ST4 (sold)
'17 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 7:20 am

Love my 1260....with the full Termi and upmap the bike just rips. It picked up a significant amount of midrange and the low speed fueling is spot on. One thing with the 1260...you can be in 4th gear at 3K rpm and she just purrs along.......

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal Labotamy!
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 7:44 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1000a1 View Post
Yes, you can have full Akra without rapid bike. There will be ABSOLUTELY no damage to the engine. Here's a dyno proof:
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-mult...ml#post6977171

But if you want to get the most out of this wonderful exhaust (IMHO much better than Termi), I'd recommend RapidBike anyway
Thanks for sharing those charts. To say I'm surprised would be an understatement. In fact it's quite counter-intuitive.
What's interesting, but not surprising, is the difference the Rapidbike makes.
On that note, I have an RB EVO (from my previous Panigale) sitting on my bench which will be ported to my stock Multi 1260 following the first service.
I'll be disabling the exhaust valve upon its installation. I also have the Adori bypass adapter. The plan is to do "before and after" dyno runs to see the difference the RB does on a stock bike with and without the exhaust valve disabled.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak ------ 2016 Monster 1200 R
Panigale 959 (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 7:59 am
Sco

Ahh yes , the crazy hit of acceleration on the 2010 - 2012 models was/is a rush and hard to duplicate .
1-3-2-4 and suruppak like this.

2011 Multi S - Laser cut Filmguard , Evotech rad guard , Ohlins Mechtronic ECU
Tuneboy-Tune Edit,CC,QS, Leo Vince decat, MWR performance air filter
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 8:23 am Thread Starter

I agree about the electronics creating a little hesitation.

I’d look at the Termi as that seems like the easy solution but from dyno charts I’ve seen (on the 1200) there is no net HP gain from adding the termi. IMO, that’s a lot of money for sound and no extra power.

Thanks for posting the Akrapovic dyno, that’s a nice gain! I’m already halfway there with the slip-on. I do long trips on the 1260 and mostly alone, my only concern with the Rapidbike is a point of failure. Like be in the middle of nowhere far from home and it caused a malfunction.

Anyone comment on any long term issues with the rapidbike?

I also have a Superduke 1290 making 162 hp and 99 lbft at the wheel, now that’s a nice power band!

Feels like there is something waiting to be unleashed on this 1260! Thanks again for any insight
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 9:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcrf View Post
...I do long trips on the 1260 and mostly alone, my only concern with the Rapidbike is a point of failure. Like be in the middle of nowhere far from home and it caused a malfunction.

Anyone comment on any long term issues with the rapidbike?
Buy RapidBike Adori bypass adapter. In case something happens with the unit itself, you can always unplug it, plug in the adapter and continue!
Can't comment on long term issues with RB, 'cause I have it for less than a month
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode