Dropped it again.. - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 7:08 pm Thread Starter

Dropped it again..

Im getting pretty heartbroken with this bike. Finally a gorgeous day here that i have off work, wake up early to ride all day.. add some oil to the engine (and proceed to spill it all down the side of the crankcase...) leaving a big puddle on the floor. Backing the bike out, i lean it away from me a bit to try to avoid the tires rolling through the oily spot on the garage floor and apparently leaned it too far because i dropped the damn thing AGAIN.. Knuckle guard busted, right fairing and tank gouged up, and I think the rear brake lever is bent but I can't remember if it angles inwards slightly or if it truly just bent from the fall. Both times Ive dropped this damn thing have been 0 mph, and have cost me over 400 to fix now each time. I really need to get some frame sliders or engine guards or something. It is really letting the wind out of my sails. Ive had several several bikes that haven't been brand new and haven't been ones I've cared about and haven't been red and italian, and I've never dropped them... But this brand new, red, italian, bike that I wanted to be my "long term" touring bike.. Ive dropped twice in the last 6 months.

Can anyone take a pic of the rear brake lever from the top down so I can see the orientation... thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Garage
That sucks... the only time I dropped the bike trying to move it was exactly the same (luckily I was on grass and got off with a bruised ego). Now I sit on the bike to maneuver it or on rare occasion I have to move it standing next to it I lean it right into my hip. It doesn't take much lean angle away from you for it to get away.

I'm not back to town until friday so can't get a pic but I'm sure someone will.
DucmanST3 likes this.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Sorry to hear that. Did the same thing last year so I understand your frustration. Here are a couple of pics I took. Hope these help.

Dropped it again..-img_2671.jpg

Dropped it again..-img_2673.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go all out or go home!
2017 Red Multistrada 1200S Touring

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 7:55 pm

Garage
I also generally try to avoid moving the Multi much without being on the bike. It's an unwieldy motorcycle to move otherwise; not because of the weight, because of the overall height combined with the wide bars. I would rather walk an ElectraGlide than a Multistrada, provided I was on a flat surface.
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 8:47 pm

Garage
I feel your pain having done so myself with the Panigale.
My garage has a sightly forward slope. For the life of me, I had left the small carpet I previously used under the bike for winter storage.
Consequently the bike was more upright than usual where only the side-stand was on the carpet. As I reached rearward to grab my pit-bull stand the bike fell over in what seem to be an endless slow motion. NOooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
John likes this.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak All purpose fun
2016 Monster 1200 R Rambunctious fun
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 9:14 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiStanda View Post
Im getting pretty heartbroken with this bike. Finally a gorgeous day here that i have off work, wake up early to ride all day.. add some oil to the engine (and proceed to spill it all down the side of the crankcase...) leaving a big puddle on the floor. Backing the bike out, i lean it away from me a bit to try to avoid the tires rolling through the oily spot on the garage floor and apparently leaned it too far because i dropped the damn thing AGAIN..
Ugh; sorry, I feel for you. I thought I was going drop mine into my 916 the other day when I stumbled over my tire inflator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXSPwr View Post
I also generally try to avoid moving the Multi much without being on the bike. It's an unwieldy motorcycle to move otherwise; not because of the weight, because of the overall height combined with the wide bars. I would rather walk an ElectraGlide than a Multistrada, provided I was on a flat surface.
Yeah, at 5'8" (only in the morning), I find it unwieldy because the CG is relatively high. My sketchy moments are either in the garage, pulling up where the surface is iffy or where I'm off balance; tippy toes all the way for me on my 2014 which is, apparently, the tallest of the recent years. My wife rode pillion yesterday for the first time in a year and it was hard work holding the bike up with her clambering on/off.

1976 RD400 (Project), 1997 916 Biposto, 2013 Street Triple R, 2014 Multistrada 1200S
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 10:20 pm
Prolific Poster Award

I never buy a bike that doesnít fit me. I donít ď do ď tippy toe. Last year I dumped my Monster trying to remove it from the stand with no help. It was a stupid thing to do, and it bit me in the ass. I vow that someday Iíll quit doing stupid stuff. ( date to be determined)
John and Monster4Lee like this.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2019, 12:34 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
I never buy a bike that doesnít fit me. I donít ď do ď tippy toe. Last year I dumped my Monster trying to remove it from the stand with no help. It was a stupid thing to do, and it bit me in the ass. I vow that someday Iíll quit doing stupid stuff. ( date to be determined)
I learned to deal with it, for now, because the Multi otherwise works for me, although the profile of the PR5 (which I really like) seems to have raised the bike compared with the Angel GT. Around town I set it into Urban with low preload and switch to Touring or Sport when I'm on the move. I haven't dumped it in 5 years, touch wood. The most fun was a DRZ400 I used to own - I had to slip one butt cheek way off the seat to touch down on that

But yes, it's limiting and a little frustrating: I don't bother looking at a KTM, for example, because I'll never get on it.

1976 RD400 (Project), 1997 916 Biposto, 2013 Street Triple R, 2014 Multistrada 1200S
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2019, 7:38 am

Garage
First time I got mine on the floor I moved to the head of the class. Turned over lift table. Took me hours to get them separated and when I did my old back could not get the bike up alone. Finally got it up by sticking a 6’ long piece of pipe into the rear axle hole and using that as a pry bar.

(The lift table lowered while I was not with it (my fault) and caught the edge of my shop stool that apparently rolled under it. That caused the table to lean as the bike came down and tipped it. Took out the mirror and hand guard but otherwise ok. All my plastic was off for servicing at the time. Still, scary and expensive lesson learned)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2C4E0E49-4F3D-426D-A239-E754B7017C1B_1557232682645.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	942715  

2014 Pikes Peak
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2019, 7:44 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorton View Post
First time I got mine on the floor I moved to the head of the class. Turned over lift table. Took me hours to get them separated and when I did my old back could not get the bike up alone. Finally got it up by sticking a 6í long piece of pipe into the rear axle hole and using that as a pry bar.

(The lift table lowered while I was not with it (my fault) and caught the edge of my shop stool that apparently rolled under it. That caused the table to lean as the bike came down and tipped it. Took out the mirror and hand guard but otherwise ok. All my plastic was off for servicing at the time. Still, scary and expensive lesson learned)
Woah, you win. That is a sad state of affairs
John, wwahl, shorton and 1 others like this.

2010 Hyper 796 w/ dual shorty Arrows, Rapidbike Evo & MWR Intake, 2004 XR250R, 2008 CRF150R-SM, 2005 TTR88SMR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode