MTS1200 Running Rough - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 9:33 am Thread Starter

Garage
MTS1200 Running Rough

Good morning all. I threw a leg over my still new-to-me '12 MTS1200 yesterday for what I hoped would be an awesome Sunday afternoon ride...

All was good for about 10 minutes. I was riding through town to pick up a friend and when the Multi started riding rough. It was like it was misfiring. Slow speeds were extremely rough and power deliver was way down. When I gave it more gas it would correct itself temporarily. I rode on a little more to see if the problem would correct itself. But after a few blocks that didn't work anymore either. I got on the open road and cracked the throttle and it "tried" to fix itself. It would "surge" for a couple seconds then go back to running poorly. Fuel consumption was way up - I could actually see the gauge moving it seemed. Temps were OK though.

I rode it back home and began diagnosing... The header for the horizontal cylinder was WAY cooler than the vertical one, but I wasn't sure if that was indicative of anything or not, since that header does get way more airflow. I expected it to be hot though. Anyway, I pulled the spark plug and it was very dirty and reeked of gas. I cleaned it up real good and reinstalled it, but the bike was still running poorly.

For some reason, I don't think the horizontal cylinder is firing properly. I'm not an expert mechanic, but I think this points to a bad coil pack. This would explain the rough running, dirty spark plug, and cooler header temps. The bike has right about 10K miles, so it really shouldn't be falling apart...

I found the resistance level in my shop manual for testing the coil pack. I'll bust out the multi-meter tonight and see if that points to the problem.

My main questions: Do you guys think I'm on the right track? Has anyone else had issues with the coil packs on their Multi or other Ducati?

Thanks all.

2012 Ducati MTS Pikes Peak - 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere - 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 9:53 am

Garage
I would try a new spark plug first, once they have fouled they usually don`t recover.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 10:08 am

Garage
I always think:
- Fuel
- Spark
- Air

You have the spark diagnosis going. How about fuel? Has the bike been sitting for a long time? Maybe check the injectors are flowing fuel through?

1965 250 Fuller-Custom Scrambler; 1998 916 SPS; 2002 MH900e; 2006 Paul Smart 1000 LE; 2011 Diavel Carbon; 2013 Multistrada GT; 2016 Scrambler UE

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 10:08 am Thread Starter

Garage
Agreed. But what would cause the plug to foul in the first place? This isn't a 1970s 2-stroke...

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 10:22 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by O_2The_L View Post
I always think:
- Fuel
- Spark
- Air

You have the spark diagnosis going. How about fuel? Has the bike been sitting for a long time? Maybe check the injectors are flowing fuel through?
Is this difficult to do? Is this process described in the shop manual? Thanks!

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 10:34 am
North Carolina, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmerian View Post
Agreed. But what would cause the plug to foul in the first place? This isn't a 1970s 2-stroke...
A short, internal damage, wear, evil spirits.... All can make a plug quit working. I'd swap out plugs and see what happens. Path of least resistance.
tsmerian likes this.

'12 Multi Touring these days
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new Thruxton R
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 10:40 am

Sounds more like a dirty or failing fuel injector. Sometimes they get stuck open and over spray.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 10:41 am

Garage
Failing MAP sensor is also a possibility: Multistrada: Misfire/Backfire, Loss of Power.

1976 RD400 (Project), 1997 916 Biposto, 2013 Street Triple R, 2014 Multistrada 1200S
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 11:41 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmerian View Post
Is this difficult to do? Is this process described in the shop manual? Thanks!
It's in the workshop manual. Not a quick task unfortunately.

Certainly check for spark first because it's easy.

1965 250 Fuller-Custom Scrambler; 1998 916 SPS; 2002 MH900e; 2006 Paul Smart 1000 LE; 2011 Diavel Carbon; 2013 Multistrada GT; 2016 Scrambler UE
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 5:01 pm

Garage
Without pictures of the plugs from both cylinders, and a rough guess of how old they are, no idea if the plug is abnormally dirty or worn. I can tell you this: surging, especially surging that briefly stops when you apply more throttle, is a textbook symptom of a lean condition. A cylinder running lean can also be over temp, but not always.

If you don't know how old the plugs are, and you do know one of them is partially fouled, I'd replace both of them before I tried anything else. It could be a dozen other things easily, and the plugs may not be the root cause, but at least replacing them allows you to further diagnose with known good parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode