Airhawk Dual Sport seat cushion - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2019, 11:10 am Thread Starter

Airhawk Dual Sport seat cushion

Has anyone tried the Airhawk dual sport seat pad on a newer Multistrada ? I am looking for more comfort on my 2016 Multistrada PP. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDDOG50 View Post
Has anyone tried the Airhawk dual sport seat pad on a newer Multistrada ? I am looking for more comfort on my 2016 Multistrada PP. Thanks
Yes, don't like it. Even with as little air as possible your not really feeling connected to the bike anymore and also I start to feel the edges of the air hawk seat after a while. Doesn't really help with the buttache.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2019, 4:37 pm

Some people swear by Airhawks, I personally have no use for them. I borrowed one for a trip on my 2011 and saw no improvement, thinking I hadnít properly adjusted it I bought one and tried it on another trip. I was able to experiment with the air pressure extensively, and I never saw a worthwhile improvement in comfort and didnít like the feel of it. Iíve since installed a Sargent seat and my problems are solved! I suspect that an aftermarket seat will give you the comfort youíre looking for. Iíll be posting my Airhawk in the classifieds soon.

John Heurtevant
Current: 2011 Multistrada 1200 base (non ABS). Sold: '07 1098S & '99 996 Mono

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2019, 9:51 pm

Garage
I use an Airhawk quite a bit, it's no replacement for a quality fitted seat. Not for added comfort, don't think it adds much if any; I use it as an easy way to change the seat height on long rides. A fully inflated Airhawk can add 1.5" or more to your seat. Sometimes adding or removing that extra height can give your knees and back enough relief to make it where you're going without turning into a bad day.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2019, 10:09 pm
Prolific Poster Award

If youíre tall and have hip or knee discomfort when riding it can help. If youíre short itís a toss up , but worth a try. As has been said, itís not a replacement for a quality seat. Iíd only consider one for a long trip. You can probably get the same results with a hemorrhoid donut and duct tape.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2019, 10:51 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmcube View Post
Yes, don't like it. Even with as little air as possible your not really feeling connected to the bike anymore and also I start to feel the edges of the air hawk seat after a while. Doesn't really help with the buttache.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Second this. Vague feel and connection to bike. I have a Sargent flat pan type and on both my FZ1 and MTS the Airhawk was less than inspiring.

I'm OK, you're OK
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2019, 11:39 pm

I have one for sale if you end up wanting one.

NASCAR Fans; tattooed,shirtless,sewer mouthed drunks......and their husbands.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2019, 1:49 pm

I just picked up an airhawk for myself and my wife for a trip from VA to Dallas and back. I only have the stock multi seat so I can't compare to a sargent or something like that, but the airhawk has been a life saver . We did 740 miles one day and my wife was still talking to me.

The thing I like is being able to shift weight to one side and the air moves around to change the pressure and give you some relief.

Perhaps we would have been better served with a sargent, but I can swap the airhawk to my other bikes and not drop $$ on seats.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200
2002 Ducati ST4S - Stealth Grey!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2019, 1:57 pm
Prolific Poster Award

There ya go. You just have to try it for yourself. Really, thatís not different from buying an aftermarket seat , but considerably less expensive to try. A $600 Corbin wasnít a miracle on my SuperGlide, but it was a definite upgrade.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2019, 7:45 pm

Garage
I have one and use it on every trip longer than a couple days... I've always bought custom seats and found they only marginally (if at all) increase comfort on 14+ hour days or after 2 or 3 days in a row... (they work really well for short trip but I don't like how they isolate me from the bike when I'm riding hard... hard riding needs a hard seat). The Airhawk doesn't make your ass impervious to the abuse of touring - but it's the best option I've found.

It does isolate you from the bike (even more than a custom seat) so it's a "remove before hard riding" sort of setup... but luckily that takes all of 3 minutes. For chewing through the miles I find the ability to manage pressure points by moving your butt around and also moving the airhawk forward and backward periodically is the best way to manage comfort.

IMO the important thing is to get the one that's narrow in the front so it doesn't chafe... then inflate it as little as possible to float your butt... then mount it so you can reach down and pull it forward or push it back on the seat. Then when you start getting uncomfortable you move around... and occasionally you move the Airhawk foward or backward to change how it distributes force to your backside. Combined with standing to stretch regularly I find I can stay comfortable for multi-week trips (generally 14+ hour days... 12+ on the road).

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode