shoei helmet - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 8:26 am

Shoei X-14

X-14 here. It is light, quiet and well ventilated. Also very comfortable for me. On the downside, it is at the upper end of the cost spectrum, around $800 Retail, I paid around $600.

2013 Multistrada 1200S GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 8:54 am

Garage
I'd be interested in anyone's opinion on the Hornet X2. I might replace my GT-Air with that if this long road trip I've been thinking about comes together.

2013 1200 Multistrada GT
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 9:17 am

Garage
I was in the same boat last year. Retiring a Bell Star and looking for a new helmet.

I already had a Shoei RJ for the super hot Muggy days that July and August can bring to Virginia. so I knew the fit of a Shoei would be good (better than the Bell, which is why a new Bell Star was not on my list).

I borrowed a Neotec, but it was way heavier than I was used to. It was also noisier.

I live with the shield partially open for more air, so the GT-Air was out, my eyes dried out(I wear safety glasses with the foam dust inserts), it was also heavy.

I bought a RF1200.

Note: I have both Sena 10s and 30k. I have installed one or the other in all of my helmets. It works great.

“Keep the rubber side down”

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 10:09 am
AARP Reject

Garage
I have a GT Air which has proven to be a good choice as a street helmet although I don't use the flip down sunscreen much if at all. This comes as a surprise/disappointment since I bought it over the RF1200 specifically for that feature. Since I find the sunscreen superfluous I would go with an RF1200 (or an Arai) next time to gain the Snell rating which I think is the more valuable feature to me. I'm not much of a track rat but if I were and had to live with just on helmet the RF1200 would be the choice for its superior rating. The GT Air is the first non-Snell approved lid I've owned in 20 years and since the RF is so close in spec, details and fit, it probably would have been the better choice in my case. All that acknowledged, it does flow air quite well and if you go full face in a hot climate, it still suggests itself as a good 'un assuming you are not tracking with it and the lack of a Snell rating doesn't bother you.

Lew
'12 Multistrada S Touring
'05 Boxer Cup

Last edited by Pampero; Apr 22nd, 2019 at 10:16 am.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 2:06 pm

I bought a Neotec 2. The only drawback I can see is that the faceshields are expensive, and aren't offered in mirrored finishes.

I think the best way to buy a helmet is to go somewhere where you can try a large variety on; that's what I did and how I ended with the Neotec. I was surprised how some helmets just didn't fit the shape of my head at all.

2018 Multistrada 1260 S Touring
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 6:00 pm Thread Starter

thanks for all the input guys
i think it will be between a x14 or 1200

just cannot ride a helmet that is not snell

mike
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2019, 9:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker View Post
thanks for all the input guys

i think it will be between a x14 or 1200

just cannot ride a helmet that is not snell

mike

Some people go out of their way to avoid the Snell rating due to stiffness. Have you read up on that at all?

http://www.mcrider.com/snell-motorcy...ication-rated/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old Today, 4:20 pm

Got a GT-Air, didn't fit my big oval head as well as my old Bell did. Still like the looks, though.

2015 Multistrada 1200s
1990 Suzuki VX
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old Today, 4:48 pm

Garage
shoei helmet-img_5006.jpg

shoei helmet-img_e5008.jpg

'10 MTS1200 S
'00 VTR1000f
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in